The gold helmet is a quest item made during the Between a Rock... quest. To create one, a player needs to use 3 gold bars on an anvil.
While wearing the helmet, the player can enter the massive Arzinian Mines near Keldagrim by being shot from Dondakan's cannon. While in the mine, removing the helmet at any time teleports the player from the mine back to Dondakan.
Along with the Barrelchest anchor, the helmet is one of the heaviest pieces of equipment in the game. During the quest, the helmet becomes so heavy that after 8 minutes in the mine the player breaks down and removes it, which forces them to restart that part of the quest.
While the 8 minute time limit in the mine no longer applies after quest completion, the player must wear the helmet at all times while in it. Logging out while in the mine leaves the helmet on but returns the player outside next to Dondakan.
Following the quest, a player may continue to make gold helmets for 30 Smithing experience. However, a player may not have a gold helmet in their inventory while doing so. If they do, the avatar will say "I think I'd better use this gold bar in a furnace". The option to make a gold helmet will not be available if a player has one in their bank.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 2 April 2013 (Update):
- The following items can now be used inside a Dragon Keepsake box: Sailor's hat, Doctors hat, Nurse hat, Gold helmet, Fish hats from Hunt for Red Raktuber, and Hallowed / Unhallowed equipment.
- patch 28 September 2015 (Update):
- An issue that was causing the back of the neck to become see through when wearing the gold helmet has been fixed.
- When you smith the gold helmet, a prompt in your chat box says "You forge a beautiful and very heavy golden helmet out of solid gold. Who knows, this might become a new fashion rage?"
- The examine text says "Made of gold and white gold", yet exactly where the white gold comes from is unknown. White gold is made by combining gold with other metals such as silver or platinum, but neither material enters into the process of creating the gold helmet. However, yellow gold can be dipped in a chemical acid to change its composition to white.
- At 31 kg, it is also mysteriously heavier than the 3 gold bars used in its creation.