God books are Prayer items held in the pocket slot. Players first receive a damaged book after completion of Horror from the Deep and must add four torn pages to make a complete god book, which requires level 30 Prayer to equip. Once added, pages cannot be removed from the book.
The Saradomin, Zamorak, Armadyl, and Bandos god books provide protection in the God Wars Dungeon from the faction of the respective god. The Guthix and Ancient god books do not provide protection against any faction.
Obtaining the books[edit | edit source]
Young God books[edit | edit source]
During Horror from the Deep, players speak to Jossik about a rusty casket, and he asks the player to read what the chest says. The player can choose from six gods: Saradomin, Guthix, Zamorak, Armadyl, Bandos, or Zaros (access to the Ancient god book requires completion of The Dig Site quest). The rest of the books can also be purchased straight after for 5,000 each.
For whichever god is chosen, the player will get a "damaged book" of that god. When wielded, this book provides a +2 boost to Prayer. However, this is not the book's true potential; torn pages that are missing from the damaged book can be found and put back in to complete the book. Torn pages are a reward from completing treasure trails, cremating vyre corpses in the Columbarium, completing Tetracompasses, or by buying them from other players, either directly or via the Grand Exchange.
If a player loses their god book, they can get it back in their player owned house for 100,000. If you lose your damaged book you can obtain it from Jossik for free. (He will return only one book each time he is spoken to, always in this order: Saradomin, Guthix, Zamorak, Bandos, Armadyl, and Zaros.) Jossik now has a menu to purchase god-books from, used to buy a specific book without purchasing all books in order. All books must be reclaimed from him before a new book can be bought. Completed or illuminated books can also be reclaimed from a bookcase in a player-owned house.
Illuminated god books[edit | edit source]
After One Piercing Note, all completed books can be illuminated, creating a copy with increased bonuses and an additional +2 Prayer boost (to a total of +4). Illuminating a book requires level 60 Prayer and Crafting and gives 10,000 Prayer and Crafting experience the first time a book is illuminated (for a total of 60,000 experience to each skill for all six books). The illuminated books require level 40 Prayer to wield and cost 120,000 coins to reclaim if lost.
Cosmetic overrides[edit | edit source]
Since 21 August 2017, completing the god books unlock cosmetic overrides for them. Each completed god book unlocks the respective recolour option, and once all have been unlocked, ten further recolours become available along with the optional use of prismatic dyes.
There are two override variants for god books: God Book (Magic Off-hand) and God Book (Shield).
Elder God Books[edit | edit source]
The Elder God books, known as scriptures, are drops obtained from defeating the respective general's leading their "front". They can be obtained from both normal and hard mode encounters. The scriptures and the pages used to recharge them can be bought from the Grand Exchange. Pages can also be dropped from the common mobs from each front.
Special effects[edit | edit source]
God books and illuminated god books have a passive effect that can be activated or deactivated in combat, similar to a scrimshaw, which is unique to each god. This effect needs to be charged and is done by using the corresponding god page on a complete god book, each page adding a 45 minute (25%) charge. The maximum charge (time) you can have is 3 hours. The page number does not matter, so long as the page is for the same god. The effects are unchanged for illuminated books.
If the player loses the book, it will lose all its remaining charges, requiring the player to add additional pages in order to activate the passive effect.
All effects have a 1/15 (6.6)% chance to occur with each hit (50% in legacy) and have a 15-second (25-tick) cooldown after activating before it can activate again. They deal 60% fixed plus 40% randomly (20% fixed and 40% randomly in PvP combat) of the maximum damage numbers (this is incorporated into the ranges given). The damage dealt is a percentage of ability damage in EOC and legacy mode. Damage boosts that are applied during damage calculation (for example, ultimate abilities, prayers, Void knight equipment, and the Slayer helmet) do not affect the god book's special effect. Damage boosts applied after damage calculation (such as auras, Keris, Darklight, and Balmung) will affect the god book's special effect.
A tornado spins at the target's location dealing 4 hits of damage in 4 ticks, dealing 30-50%, 30-50%, 60-100%, and 60-100% damage for a total of 180-300% damage and an average of 240% damage (PvP: 10-30%, 10-30%, 20-60%, 20-60%; total 60-180%, with an average of 120%). If the target moves from the tornado, the damage is halted. Based on Kree'arra's hard mode tornado mechanic.
A shockwave hits the target, dealing 90-150% damage (PvP: 30-90%), reducing the target's Defence level by 5% + 5 and increasing its affinity values by 3 for 12 seconds. Based on General Graardor's ranged attack.
The sword of edicts falls on the target, burns, and explodes. It deals an initial hit of 90-150%, three hits of 7.5-12.5%, and finally 37.5-62.5% (with the final hit being split in a 3x3 area if there are multiple targets nearby), for a total of 150-250%. (PvP: initially 30-90%, three hits of 2.5-7.5%, and 12.5-37.5 AoE; total 50-150%).
A lightning strike hits the target for 165-275% damage (PvP: 55-165%). Based on Commander Zilyana's magic attack.
A dark explosion hits the target and the surrounding targets in a 3x3 area for 150-250% damage (split over all targets) (PvP: 50-150%). Based on K'ril Tsutsaroth's prayer smash mechanic.
Icicles hit and surround the target, dealing 120-200% damage (PvP: 40-120%) and binding the target for 4 seconds. Based on Nex's ice prison mechanic.
A time rift appears, storing damage the player deals in the next 10 seconds into it. After these 10 seconds expire, the accumulated damage is unleashed at the enemy, dealing 20% of the accumulated damage as damage to the enemy. Based on Kerapac, the bound's Warp Time mechanic.
A beam of ice slams down on enemies, dealing damage in a 3x3 AoE for 3.6 seconds. After targets have been attacked by the beam for a minimum of five times, it shatters for 400% ability damage. Based on Arch-Glacor's Pillars of Ice mechanic.
While gaining experience in non-combat skills, a catalyst of alteration can appear much like how seren spirits and divine blessings. When interacted with, they give 1-3 clues of any tier, ignoring soft caps and provide a 5% experience buff for 1 minute.
Has a 6.6% chance to trigger when hit. For 15 seconds, player's damage dealt is increased by 20% and damage taken is increased by 10%. It has a 15 second cooldown.
Prices[edit | edit source]
Young God books[edit | edit source]
|God book||Page 1||Page 2||Page 3||Page 4||Total price|
|Armadyl's Book of Law||315,853||263,212||260,433||260,043||1,099,541|
|Bandos's Book of War||25,194||13,741||17,852||18,456||75,243|
|Guthix's Book of Balance||49,256||40,618||40,859||39,097||169,830|
|Saradomin's Book of Wisdom||74,025||92,225||92,552||64,558||323,360|
|Zamorak's Book of Chaos||91,731||91,041||91,297||91,401||365,470|
|Total for all young god books||2,083,086|
Elder God books[edit | edit source]
|Scripture of Jas||6,974,366||26,476|
|Scripture of Wen||94,371,750||208,638|
|Scripture of Bik||72,500,196||2,498,657|
|Scripture of Ful||408,114,917||28,998|
|Total for all scriptures||581,961,229|
Bonuses[edit | edit source]
|Illuminated god book||Hybrid||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||4||7||7||7|
Jas, Wen, Ful
|Scripture of Bik||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||6||-||-||-|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A player holding Armadyl's Book of Law.
A player holding Bandos's Book of War.
A player holding Guthix's Book of Balance.
A player holding Saradomin's Book of Wisdom.
A player holding Zamorak's Book of Chaos.
A player holding the Ancient Book.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 23 November 2020 (Update):
- patch 4 June 2018 (Update):
- Godbook special attacks will no longer carry over damage at the end of a player duel.
- patch 22 January 2018 (Update):
- Players can now buy each of the damaged god books from Jossik before completing prior books.
- ninja 15 January 2018 (Update):
- The God Book reclamation interface has been updated following Horror from the Deep.
- ninja 11 April 2016 (Update):
- Reduced the cooldown between potential active effects of the god books triggering, excluding Bandos' Book of War, which was increased.
- Increased the chance of all six god books' active effects triggering, when off cooldown.
- Improved the chance of the god book specials activating in legacy mode.
- God books now convert to 60,000 coins when dying in a PvP situation.
- update 22 February 2016 (Update):
- God books are now equipped in the pocket slot instead of the off-hand slot.
- Each god book has a special proc effect that is unique to the god it represents, with a chance to activate whenever you attack.
- You can use god book pages on god books to recharge them.
- God books require 30 or 40 Prayer to wear (regular and illuminated versions respectively).
- Unfinished god books are wearable in the pocket slot but provide weaker bonuses and no proc effect.
- Reclaiming god books from a player-owned house bookcase now incurs a cost (100k for completed, 120k for illuminated).
- patch 23 March 2015 (Update):
- Players will no longer appear to be using a special attack from a distance while using a God book.
- patch 17 December 2013 (Update):
- The god books have been updated to match the current Sixth Age story.
- patch 26 September 2012 (Update):
- Players should no longer get an additional God book when you trying to claim one.
- update 4 August 2010 (Update):
- Additional god books added to game with introduction of Elite clues and new clue rewards.
- update 31 January 2005 (Update):
- You can now check your prayer books to see which pages you have added.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Preaching from a god book used to cost the player 25% of the special attack bar. Since the Evolution of Combat brought about the end of special attacks, players instead lose 10 prayer points when preaching from a god book. This includes not just the "preach" option, but the last rites, blessings and wedding ceremonies as well.
- After an unknown update, all but one preach was removed from god books, but they are reinstated in another unknown update.
- The god books are written by the followers of the gods, and are not official dictates by the gods themselves.
- On 17 December 2013, the god books were updated with new text relating to the Sixth Age.
References[edit | edit source]
|God books (Override)|
|Illuminated god books (Override)|
|Part 3 of the Fremennik quest series|