|Release||15 January 2008 (Update)|
|Familiar size||Unknown edit|
|Special moves||Acorn Missile|
|Examine||He ent such a bad guy.|
|Life points||Max hit|
|Immune to poison||Yes|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Giant ents are level 93 combat level Summoning familiars. They are foragers that have a random chance to forage for oak logs, have the ability to convert pure essence into either an earth rune or a nature rune, and increase yields by 50% when harvesting fruit trees, berry bushes, belladonna, and cacti. Giant ents are useful in the Farming skill.
Giant ent pouch[edit | edit source]
|124 ( 3,100)||46.3
|Create XP||Use XP||Low alch||Hi alch||GE price|
|GE Database||Cost to make||Bogrog shard return||Shard return level|
|Look up price||6,329||87 (2,175)||82|
|I can summon a giant ent familiar with this.|
A Giant ent pouch is made by using a Summoning pouch on an obelisk with 124 spirit shards, a Green charm and a willow branch in the inventory and level 78 Summoning. Making the pouch earns 136.8 Summoning experience. Using the pouch to summon a Giant ent gains 1.6 Summoning experience and costs 80 Summoning points.
Acorn Missile scroll[edit | edit source]
|Create XP||Use XP||Special move points|
|Low Alch||High Alch||GE Price|
|GE Database||Bogrog shard return||Shard return level|
|Look up price||6 (150)||82|
|A scroll for a giant ent familiar.|
Acorn Missile[edit | edit source]
Acorn Missile is a special move for giant ents. The ent attacks the opponent with magic for up to 1,022 damage.
[edit | edit source]
If a piece of pure essence is used on the Giant ent, it will turn it into either an earth rune or a nature rune. However, experience is not gained from doing this. It is also required to use each pure essence individually on the Giant ent, which can be very tedious.
A good method is to mine pure essence and give it directly to the ent to convert. This can yield upwards of 400 earth runes and 500 nature runes an hour if the player is proficient at clicking.
Farming[edit | edit source]
Giant ents have a 50% chance to double yield when harvesting fruit from fruit trees, berry bushes, belladonna, and cacti. However, the bonus yield will not award experience. For example, on average, a fruit tree will give 9 pieces of fruit instead of 6, but experience will only be awarded for harvesting the 6. A similar effect can be obtained from the Wolpertinger that only applies to berry bushes.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- The giant ent familiar now correctly gives a 50% chance to gather an extra item when harvesting trees and patches.
- The giant ent familiar ability now triggers when using patch bombs or the farming skillcape perk.
- The giant ent familiar now states how many extra resources were obtained when using patch bombs or the Farming skillcape perk.
- patch 22 January 2018 (Update):
- The Giant Ent bonus to harvesting fruit trees now works correctly in combination with the Farming skillcape perk or a patch bomb.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In The Lord of the Rings, an ent named Treebeard says "Don't be hasty." Ents in the Lord of the Rings converse notoriously slowly. The dialogue of the giant ent may be a parody of this.
- Even though the giant ent's tertiary ingredient is willow branches, its special move is acorn missile, implying it would be made of oak.
- As with many other creatures and objects, the giant ent's examine is a pun.
- In the Funorb game Armies of Gielinor, the Titan Ent uses the giant ent's image.
- Currently both the ent's foraging ability and ability to spawn acorns with a scroll are broken. The special move also used to be able to hit multiple enemies.
- If talking to Quercus with the giant ent, extra dialogue can be heard.
- Oddly enough, this dialogue can be understood without the normal 10 Level Requirement, despite not being able to understand the familiar any other time without it.
- Unlike when a player speaks to it directly, the giant ent is able to communicate with Quercus in full, normal sentences, rather than slow, one-worded spurts.
- Despite what the in-game pouch tooltip may indicate, giant ent's do indeed increase the yield of berry bushes with the game message: