|Release||17 February 2016 (Update)|
|Look out, it wants to eat you!|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|0 / 0 / 0|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
The Giant Mimic is a larger, boss version of the Mimic pet. It is located in Alice's Treasure Chamber. A mimic kill token (or its untradable variant) is needed to fight the mimic. The token may be used to teleport to the chamber. You can not teleport while in combat or when a familiar is summoned.
The fight[edit | edit source]
The Giant Mimic has four versions of difficulty: beginner, medium, hard and elite. Depending on the difficulty of the fight chosen by the player, the Giant Mimic's combat level, life points, and combat mechanics will vary accordingly (see below).
|Difficulty||Mimic level||Life points||Recommended|
The mimic always has a basic ranged attack where it spits out coins, and a melee attack where it licks the player with its tongue. It will use a random special attack after every three basic attacks.
The Giant Mimic has three special attacks:
- Charge: the Giant Mimic charges the player, dealing high damage. Its target location is marked with green arrows similar to those from Detonate. It will also stun the player if they are caught in it. On non-elite difficulties this attack is notified with the text "The mimic prepares to charge!"
- Coin launch: The Giant Mimic opens its mouth and sends out three batches of coins (visually the same as its ranged basic attack, but slower and the coins do not home in) at your location. On non-elite difficulties this attack is notified with the text "The mimic launches gold coins at you!"
- Leap: the Giant Mimic jumps and lands on the position you were standing when it jumped. Deals extremely high damage if you are caught by the Mimic. The Beginner version does not use this attack. On medium and hard difficulties this attack is notified with the text "The mimic leaps into the air."
On hard and elite difficulties, the Giant Mimic will summon two minimics when it falls below specific life point amounts (65,000 on hard, and 106,666 and 53,333 on elite), which rapidly heal the Giant Mimic for 325 life points each on the hard difficulty, or 400 life points each on the elite difficulty. Any attacks that deal damage to the Giant Mimic will instead heal it for the same amount while the minimics are alive. The appearance of the minimics is notified with the message "The minimics protect the Giant Mimic from harm."
In the elite difficulty the player does not receive warnings about the Giant Mimic's special attacks in the chatbox - only the animations of the mimic indicate how it will attack.
You have 2 minutes and 30 seconds to kill the Giant Mimic; if you take too long to kill the Mimic, the Mimic will swallow you and toss you out of the portal. Any failed Mimic attempts do not count as a kill. That is, they won't deplete any free kills or consume a mimic kill token. If you manage to bank or destroy the token during the fight, you will not be awarded any loot.
Damage[edit | edit source]
The Giant Mimic's special attacks always deal the same damage and largely cannot be mitigated other than by dodging.
|Difficulty||Charge||Coin launch (each batch)||Leap||Normal max hit|
History[edit | edit source]
The Giant Mimic was originally available in the The Mimic Rises Treasure Hunter promotion, which ran from 00:00 UTC on 18 February 2016 until 23:59 UTC on 22 February 2016. The boss could continue to be challenged through 23:59 UTC on 28 February 2016. During this promotion the boss could be fought for free up to five times per day for a selection of prizes. The Giant Mimic could be fought additional times per day, beyond the five kill limit, by the use of a Mimic kill token, obtained as a prize from Treasure Hunter or as loot from defeating the Mimic. As part of this initial promotion, the Giant Mimic dropped mini protean packs; rare item tokens; combat training dummies; springs; feathers; and scrimshaws of aggression, sacrifice and corruption. Additionally, the hard and elite variants had the chance to drop the Mimic tongue cape, the Mimic helm, and tradeable sharded weapon override tokens, with the cape dropping directly from the Mimic as an extra drop instead of being found within a loot chest. The weapon overrides available in this first promotion were one-handed variants for each combat style: the Shard of energy weapon token, the Shard of malice weapon token, and the Shard of havoc weapon token.
The Giant Mimic returned to Gielinor in the Revenge of the Giant Mimic Treasure Hunter promotion, which ran from 00:00 UTC on 17 November 2016 until 23:59 UTC on 21 November 2016. The boss could continue to be challenged through 23:59 UTC on 29 November 2016. During this second promotion, in addition to the original assortment of rewards, a new selection of two-handed sharded weapon overrides were made available from large and huge loot chests: the Shard of despite weapon token, the Shard of suffering weapon token, and the Shard of chaos weapon token. Additionally, the Mimic plushie was added as a super-rare reward from the Giant Mimic itself, alongside the Mimic tongue cape.
On 5 February 2018, the Giant Mimic returned as permanent content. Players can challenge the boss only through the use of a tradeable Mimic kill token, obtained occasionally while skilling. Until 19 February 2018 an untradeable version of the token could be obtained by talking to Mimic outside the Warriors' Guild. With its introduction as a permanent boss, reward boxes were reduced to containing only a single item per kill, but the rewards themselves were unchanged and death remained safe.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Depending on the difficulty of the encounter selected by the player, the Giant Mimic drops a variant selection of rewards, contained within loot chests. For all the rewards contained within those loot chests, see their respective articles. Killing the mimic on any difficulty has a chance to unlock the Mimic pet.
100% drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Small loot chest||1||Always||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Medium loot chest||1||Always||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Large loot chest||1||Always||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Huge loot chest||1||Always||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Main drop[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Mimic plushie||1||Very rare||17,837,208||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic tongue cape||1||Very rare||115,313,220||Not alchemisable|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 February 2018 (Update):
- The destroy message for loot chests received from the Mimic boss has been corrected.
- update 5 February 2018 (Update):
- Re-release of the Giant Mimic as permanent, in-game content. One untradeable Mimic kill token could be claimed at time of release, with additional, tradeable tokens occasionally found while skilling.
- update 16 November 2016 (Update):
- Re-introduction of the Giant Mimic in the Revenge of the Giant Mimic Treasure Hunter promotion, adding two-handed sharded weapon overrides, the Mimic plushie, and the Mimic pet to the rewards table.