Gertrude Fairweather is a woman who lives in a small house just west of Varrock and south of the Cooks' Guild. She is rather poor, paying those who help her with food.
She is the wife of Walter Fairweather, a travelling merchant, and the mother of Shilop, Wilough, Kanel and Philop. She also owns Fluffs, a female cat, and has done so for nearly a decade. She is rather lenient in her child rearing, letting her children run free due to the strain of raising four children. Her children often hang around the marketplace and the sewers. She also has a cousin in West Ardougne. Caleb Fitzharmon also lives with her. She is friends with Doris in Edgeville, inviting her around whenever Fluffs has a new litter of kittens.
Should an adventurer retrieve Fluffs for her, she will start selling kittens, providing the first one for free and selling them for 100 coins thereafter. With an activated ring of charos, it is possible to choose the colour of the kitten and complete the Varrock medium task, A Lick of Paint. She also informs adventurers when Grimesquit and Phingspet are looking for them.
She often cares for sickly animals. Amongst those animals was Bob, a tomcat whom she raised from a kitten.
In the alternate reality where Zemouregal took over Varrock and renamed it New Varrock, Gertrude moved within the city walls, taking up residence in the building directly northwest of the Apothecary. During the conquest of the city and subsequent subjugation of the population, her four children and cat were all killed. She now runs a food shop selling stew and chocolate cake. Four stray cats around New Varrock resurrect Fluffs, who returns to Gertrude, mummified.
Gertrude appears on the Varrock Census taken in Year 160 of the Fifth Age with her occupation listed as housewife.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- Saying goodbye to Gertrude inside New Varrock now correctly closes the chat.
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- Gertrude's chat tree has been rewritten to centralise the flow of dialogue.
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- Gertrude's fishbowl in New Varrock is now easier to reclaim if it has previously been lost.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Gertrude's "select a kitten" interface now works correctly.
- The name Gertrude may refer to Gertrude of Nivelles, who was a saint and patron of cats.
- While doing the A Tail of Two Cats quest, the player, while talking to Bob about Gertrude, calls her "the crazy cat lady", a reference to the toxoplasmosis disease infamous for causing mental and behavioural disorders.
- When buying a new kitten from Gertrude and you have a full inventory a message in the chatbox says: "You don't have space in your bags for a new kitten.", referring to "bags" rather than "bag".
- A glitch upon the release of RuneScape 3 caused the select-a-kitten interface to become unusable. This was fixed on 13 August 2013.
- Gertrude is one of the possible people requiring identification in order to obtain the enchanted egg in Recipe for Disaster/Freeing the Lumbridge Sage.
- ^ Gertrude, "Gertrude's Cat", RuneScape. "I'm sorry, I'm too poor to pay you anything, the best I could offer is a warm meal."
- ^ Gertrude, "Gertrude's Cat", RuneScape. "My beloved feline friend, Fluffs. She's been purring by my side for almost a decade."
- ^ Gertrude, "Gertrude's Cat", RuneScape. "Well, I generally let them do what they want, so I've no idea exactly what they would be doing."
- ^ Gertrude, "Gertrude's Cat", RuneScape. "Do I look ok? Those kids drive me crazy."
- ^ Gertrude, "Gertrude's Cat", RuneScape. "I think my sons, Shilop and Wilough, saw the cat last. They'll be out in the marketplace."
- ^ Gertrude, "Rat Catchers", RuneScape. "I've had to drag Shilop and Wilough out of [the sewers] more times than I care for, the little rascals."
- ^ Gertrude, "Gertrude's Cat", RuneScape. "I would sell one to my cousin in West Ardougne[...]"
- ^ Gertrude, "A Tail of Two Cats", RuneScape. "People round here know I care for sick and abandoned animals, and one day I found a basket with a kitten inside it left on my doorstep. I brought him up as best I could and he soon learnt to take care of himself."
- ^ Bob, "A Tail of Two Cats", RuneScape. "All I know is that Gertrude found me on her doorstep one day. She looked after me when I was a kitten."