A geode is a type of item randomly received while Mining or Woodcutting. Geodes are untradeable and may be shattered to receive one of several items.
A geode is a rare item obtained sometimes when Mining which contains gems or other items. Mining geodes were released with the Mining and Smithing rework and replaced the chance of randomly obtaining a gem while mining. They are stackable with the same type of geode, bankable, and untradeable. By default a player has a 5% chance to get a geode each time they get a piece of ore when mining. Levelling benefits can increase this for core rocks, the base chance of 5% will be used for non-core rocks.
The type of geode you get is based on the level requirement of the rock, for example regular coal yields sedimentary geodes, whilst concentrated coal yields igneous geodes due to their higher level requirement to mine them. When an igneous geode is obtained, there is a base 1% chance that a metamorphic geode is obtained instead.
- ^ This is the base chance, for a more accurate chance which accounts for bonuses see the mining rate calculator
- ^ Tin and copper require level 1 Mining, however receiving geodes requires level 5 Mining.
- ^ a b c d e When an igneous geode is obtained, there is a base 1% chance that a metamorphic geode is obtained instead.
- ^ Concentrated coal deposits benefit from the same levelling benefits as regular coal rocks. However, you can not mine them until level 70.
These modifiers are additive to the base chance, for example mining Light animica at level 97 mining has a base 15% chance, this is increased to 23% with Refined 4, then 25% with Resourceful aura etc.
Crystal geodes are gem encrusted rocks that can be found while cutting crystal trees, or when cutting trees or Ivy in Prifddinas when the Voice of Seren is active in the Crwys area. They can be also received from the Motherlode Maw.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 13 September 2021 (Update):
- Using 'Open all' on Geodes now correctly interrupts the Mining action - you'll still receive XP and ore.