Genie (random event)
|Release date||1 August 2005 (Update)|
|Removal||24 October 2012 (Update)|
|NPC ID||409, 3351, 25432|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Genie appeared after players selected a genie lamp from the random event gift. The Genie appeared near players and gave them an experience lamp, which could be rubbed to raise a selected skill's experience by 10 times its current level. For example, if the player had level 30 in Herblore, they would gain 300 Herblore experience if the skill was chosen.
Therefore, a lamp could be useful in gaining Prayer and Slayer experience, especially at higher levels, where conventional methods either provide very little experience or is very expensive. This was also a good way to level up the Summoning skill without requiring to spend coins or charms.
Prior to the random event updates, he appeared as a random event and gave the lamp to players when spoken to. If ignored, he would teleport them to a random location.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Genie is similar in appearance to the Genie from the Disney film Aladdin.
- The Genie random event has been discontinued. When Jagex mentioned that Random events were being reviewed, many people campaigned to save the Genie random event. Although it doesn't appear as a random event anymore, if the player chooses the experience lamp from the random event gift, the Genie will appear to give the them the lamp.
- For a time after the release of RuneScape HD, the random event Genie's chathead was still rendered with the old low detail version of character chatheads. This has since been fixed, but since his Random Event has been removed, it is irrelevant.
- A hidden update on 12 August gave the Genie random event interface a new look.
- Unlike most NPCs, his hairstyle cannot be used.
- Genie used to address players as Master or Mistress in front of their username before it was discontinued.
- Interestingly, the Genie has 3 stripes on his face, like Hazeel, the Oracle, Vannaka, and Duradel.
- Before the Genie random event was discontinued, it was possible to get the event in the underwater section of the Quest Recipe for Disaster. When he appeared, he would be wearing the diving apparatus. This is still possible to achieve by choosing a lamp from a Random Event Box while in either the crab pen or 'Rum'geon.