In combat, gemstone dragons use melee, magic and long ranged dragonfire. If attacked from a distance, gemstone dragons can also utilise a special attack which covers a 3x3 area. If hit by their special attack, it will deal heavy magic damage in addition to a secondary side effect, which is somewhat based on their enchanted bolt's effect. If the player is within melee range of the dragon, they will not use their special attack.
All gemstone dragons have a chance of dropping the draconic visage, and gemstone dragons have a chance of dropping different pieces of gemstone armour. Instead of dragon bones, gemstone dragons drop hardened dragon bones.
Kelhar guards the area to the gemstone dragons, and requests payments before he will allow the player to kill the gemstone dragons. He will only accept uncut gems of dragonstone, onyx or an incomplete hydrix. Once the gem(s) have been given, Kelhar will allow the player to kill any of the gemstone dragons, and will demand additional payments once the player expends all of their allotted kills. Players can store up to 60,000 kills at any given time.
Gemstone dragons in the Dragonkin Laboratory also count towards Slayer tasks and can be collected through the use of ushabtis. The final boss of the dungeon, the Black stone dragon, also acts as a gemstone dragon for the purposes of a Slayer task. These dragons have a different drop table compared to their Dungeoneering counterparts, nor do they require a Slayer level to be harmed.
Vicendithas is the indirect creator of the gemstone dragons, as his scribblings mention a crystalline dragon. This dragon had the unique ability to change sexes at will, and from these eggs hatched several gemstone dragons.
|Uncut gem||Kills per gem||Cost per kill|
If the player is on a Slayer assignment for gemstone dragons, Kelhar will allow the player to kill them free of charge. If the player has already paid Kelhar, he will not remove charges for gemstone dragons killed on a task. This charging fee also applies in the player's personal slayer dungeon.
Types[edit | edit source]
|Image||Type||Combat level||Slayer level||Attacks||Weakness||Special attack||Notes|
|Dragonstone dragon||119||95||Sends a purple trail to the player's initial spot, dealing up to 4500 magic damage and draining the timer on any antifire potions currently in use by 1/2. Protect/Deflect Magic will decrease the damage, but will not negate the secondary effect. They will not use this special attack if you remain within melee distance of them.||Dragonstone dragons are the weakest gemstone dragon and can drop gemstone gauntlets and gemstone boots.|
|Dragonstone dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||111||1||There are only a total of 11 Dragonstone dragons to be found in the dungeon.|
|Onyx dragon||126||98||Steals some of the player's life points. They will not use this special attack if you remain within melee distance of them.||Onyx dragons are the second strongest gemstone dragon and can drop gemstone greaves and gemstone helms.|
|Onyx dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||114||1||There are only a total of 4 Onyx dragons to be found in the dungeon.|
|Hydrix dragon||133||101||A row of spikes is sent towards the area that the player is currently standing on. After a short delay, there is a 3 by 3 square area where spikes appear, dealing magic damage and draining adrenaline to 0, while also applying a debuff where adrenaline gained is reduced to half for a few seconds. They will not use this special attack if you remain within melee distance of them.||Hydrix dragons are the strongest gemstone dragon and can drop gemstone hauberks.|
|Hydrix dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||118||1||A total of 3 Hydrix dragons can be found in the Dragonkin Laboratory.|
|Black stone dragon||2,500||1||The black stone dragon is the final boss in the Dragonkin Laboratory and uses multiple special attacks. These can be found in here.||The black stone dragon counts as a gemstone dragon for slayer tasks.|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):
- patch 10 April 2017 (Update):
- Gemstone dragons have had their combat experience increased.
- Gemstone dragons will no longer repeatedly use their special attack back-to-back.
- Players now pay for gemstone dragon kills and charge the gemstone armour with incomplete hydrix instead of uncut hydrix.
- Gemstone dragon special attacks now hit a 3x3 area, down from a 5x5 area.
- Dragon slayer gloves now function correctly when killing gemstone dragons while on the relevant Slayer assignment.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On release, gemstone dragons had less lucrative loot, which was changed in a hotfix several hours later. Some of the notable changes included converting their dragon bones drop into adamant dragon bones (which were then renamed a week later to hardened dragon bones) and dropping two drops at a time.
- Gemstone dragons used to be unattackable in the Sunken Pyramid unless the player had talked to Trufitus in Tai Bwo Wannai Village after completing the quest Shilo Village. This was due to the game checking the variable that tracked the state of the quest, and the variable also tracking some post-quest dialogue.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for these monsters was 15,626 kills.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Slayer Creature. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. Reddit. 6 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"