Gems are obtained from mining, trading with other players, and as occasional monster drops. Using the Crafting skill, uncut gems can be cut, combined with precious metals to make jewellery and then enchanted using the Magic skill. Gems can also be cut into gem bolt tips. Gems up to diamond were previously rewards from the removed random events, but still remain as common rewards from Treasure Hunter.
- Mining gem rocks
- Geodes: obtained while mining
- Purchasing or stealing them from gem shops identified with a red gem icon on the world map
- Monster drops: the statues in Bandos's throne room frequently drop cut gems from sapphire through diamond, making the room popular for some gem hunters who can kill the statues easily. Completion of The Chosen Commander is required for access to the throne room
|Uncut lapis lazuli
||Lapis lazuli gem
|Uncut red topaz
Pocket slot items that give a chance of saving a charm when worn while creating Summoning pouches.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Checking your kills left from an enchanted gem and grim gem now displays the text in an infobox, instead of only sending the feedback to game messages.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- Grim gem will no longer equip when checking kills from the bank.
- Prior to the Mining and Smithing rework, there was an 1/282 chance of obtaining gems from sapphire to diamond by mining any standard rock. It was even possible to mine multiple gems from the same rock.