The gas mask is a quest item used during the Plague City quest. It is part of the Mourner gear set.
The mask is made by Alrena and applied with Dwellberries, which according to Edmond will protect the player when they enter plague-ridden West Ardougne. After the plague is revealed to be non-existent, future visits to the city will not require a gas mask.
Outside its use in Plague City, it also protects the player from damage in the Smokey Well and the Desert Slayer Dungeon in Desert Treasure. However, the mask will not protect the user from other hazards such as the poison gas released by Mi-Gor during The Great Brain Robbery.
If you happen to lose your gas mask after the quest, you can search the wardrobe on the lower level of Edmond's house to retrieve another one. Both the homemade gasmask made by Alrena and the one dropped by mourners are the same item and therefore stacks in the Bank.
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 7 December 2010 (Update):
- The updated gas mask has been added to a few more NPCs.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- The gas mask and disguise has been remodelled and recoloured.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- Modified the look of the gas mask on female characters. #Graphical
- The current design of the gas mask is based on those worn by plague doctors in Europe during the Black Death. The requirement of dwellberries to make the mask pays homage to the addition of fragrant items in the beak of the mask, believed to ward off the smells that were erroneously thought to carry the disease.
- The old gas mask's design looked like the gas masks worn by civilians and soldiers during World War I to protect against chemical attacks.
- On the 9 November 2010, the gas mask received a graphical update which didn't appear on the front page but did in the forums under patch notes. The mourner clothing and plague clothing have also been updated but only changed to a darker colour.
- ^ Edmond, "Plague City", RuneScape. "Really, would you? I've been working on a plan to get into West Ardougne, but I'm too old to carry it through. If you're going into West Ardougne you'll need protection from the plague. My wife made a special gasmask for Elena with dwellberries rubbed into it. Dwellberries help repel the virus! We need some more though."
- ^ Guidor, "Biohazard", RuneScape. "Don't you understand? There is no Plague!"