Game squares, also known as tiles, metres, steps, or paces are the basic unit of length that divide the RuneScape world. The game squares form a grid, dictating where objects may be. All objects' locations will be defined by a single square. All locations and sizes can only be integer numbers.
Every entity occupies at least 1 game square. Players and dropped items occupy 1 square. Larger monsters, such as Vorago occupy multiple squares. For these larger monsters, their location is defined by the south-westernmost square they occupy. This is the location used by most calculations, such as where items drop or where Detonate will target.
Examples of gameplay use[edit | edit source]
- There are 3 movement speeds:
- Crawl - 1 square every 2 ticks
- Walk - 1 square every 1 tick
- Run - 2 squares every 1 tick
- Surge and Bladed Dive move a player 10 squares forward; Escape moves a player up to 7 backwards
Types of tiles[edit | edit source]
There are many types of tiles, each serving a specific function.
- Blank - Tiles that have unrestricted access for actions. These may be walked on, fires may be lit on them, etc.
- Blockage - Constitutes most every obstacle that cannot be traversed over, through, etc. Graphics range from fences and rocks to large pillars and chasms.
- Full blockage - These tiles completely block all movement and actions across the tile.
- Wall tiles - These tiles block movement and action in a certain direction, but allow an entity to be on the tile itself. Examples include walls, some fences, and cliff edges.
- Water or short wall - These tiles block movement for most entities, including being on the tile itself, but still allow action across. Flying entities, such as implings can still move on these tiles. Long range actions, such as ranging, can be performed across these tiles. Examples include bodies of water and short blockages, such as fences or dense wheat.
- Force-walk - Tiles which force a player to walk in a specific direction when landed on.
- Bank tiles - Tiles that surround bankers and other bank-access points. Objects, such as fires or cannons, cannot be placed here. When out of combat, these will also heal a player to full life points.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- A tile that was missing blocking in the Sophanem Slayer dungeon has been fixed.
- Missing blocking has been added to the pillars and gates southeast of the Menaphos lodestone.
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Unnecessary force-walk tiles north of Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza have been removed.
- ninja 9 February 2015 (Update):
- Player and NPC targets will now always render on top of all other entities on the same tile.
- patch 11 December 2012 (Update):
- Removed a force-walk tile in the Tree Gnome Stronghold by the swamp.
- Flattened some tiles near the Desert Strykewyrm area to stop drops from disappearing under the ground.
- patch 4 December 2012 (Update):
- Fire giants dying in the Chaos Tunnels will no longer drop their loot on an unreachable tile next to the lava pit.