Fur 'n Seek
|Fur 'n Seek (#156)|
|Release date||10 August 2009 (Update)|
|Official series||Odd Old Man #2|
|Combat||NPC combat level 70–79|
|Quest create ID||154|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Fur 'n Seek is divided into two parts – the quest itself, and the wish list miniquest that is unlocked on completion of the quest. The pelts and shell needed for the first quest part are much easier to obtain than the bones, spines, and teeth required for the wish list. The second part comprises a list of items, mostly bones, posted on the right wall of the Odd Old Man's hut. The bones in this wish list will be removed from this list as they are turned over to him. The wish list is essentially a continuation of the first part, but is not a quest (as it does not reward any quest points, and thus its completion is not required to obtain the quest point cape).
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Now he's got some body, the Odd Old Man wants you to give him some skin. Not in the high-fiving sense, mind, but in the hide/fur/fluffy animals sense. One problem, though: the animals aren't so fluffy this time.||”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to the Odd Old Man at the quarry west of Paterdomus. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Starting out[edit | edit source]
To start the quest, talk to the Odd Old Man. He will tell you that the museum of Varrock has contacted him because they want some stuffed animals, and they want him to get the furs for the animals. However, he is too busy talking to his Bonesack and thus requires you to get the furs.
He will give you a list of the required furs. He will also tell you that you need to buy a bag of salt from any Slayer Master, that you need to scrub the furs, and then prepare them on his fire. Using the Fairy ring code AJR is extremely helpful for quick access to Rellekka and the fairy Slayer Master Chaeldar in Zanaris who supplies salt and a mirror shield. Alternatively, you can use the Canifis teleport where Mazchna is closely residing and purchase the supplies.
Seeking furs[edit | edit source]
The following nine monsters and creatures need to be killed for their furs/hides/skins:
|Black unicorn hide||Black unicorn (adult)||East of Rellekka, south of the lodestone|
|Unicorn hide||Unicorn (adult)||South-east of Rellekka|
|Bear pelt||Grizzly bear (adult)||South-east of Rellekka|
|Fox pelt||Fox||South of Rellekka|
|Fenris wolf pelt||Fenris wolf||South-west of Rellekka|
|Hobgoblin skin||Hobgoblin||North of the city of Rellekka, but still within the city walls|
|Rock crab carcass
(does not require tanning, only salting)
|Rock Crab||North-east of Rellekka|
|Cave crawler skin||Cave crawler||Fremennik Slayer Dungeon (Antipoison recommended)|
|Cockatrice skin||Cockatrice||Fremennik Slayer Dungeon (Mirror shield required)|
Suggested method[edit | edit source]
All of the monsters can be found within the area of the Fremennik Province. Therefore, one of the quickest ways to gain all of the available hides is to go there to gain all of the hides in one trip.
The unicorns and black unicorns, grizzly bears, hobgoblins, and cave crawlers do not necessarily have to be killed within the Fremennik Province.
- Equip the mirror shield and bring antipoison.
- Use Fairy ring code AJR (or ring of slaying), and enter the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon.
- Kill a cave crawler and a cockatrice.
- Go back out of the cave (fastest with ring of slaying), turn left to the south coast, then walk west.
- Kill an adult unicorn and a fox at the Agility shortcut (log bridge).
- Walk straight north (past the swaying tree) and kill an adult black unicorn.
- Walk west a bit, kill a grizzly bear.
- Keep going west, past Rellekka village gate (or use an enchanted lyre), and south a little, and kill a Fenris wolf.
- Go through the gate and to the north-east part of town (past the mine) to kill a Rock Crab and a hobgoblin.
Scrubbing with salt[edit | edit source]
Once you have the hides, they will need to be scrubbed with salt before returning to the Odd Old Man. Bags of salt can be bought from any Slayer Master or on the Grand Exchange. You can salt the hides as soon as they are obtained.
Use a bag of salt on the hide: You scrub the inside of the hide with salt. (The rock crab carcass doesn't appear to have skin. You scrub the inside of the carcass with salt instead.) The item name is prefixed with the term "Scrubbed". By examining, the text says: It has been scrubbed with salt.
Once you have collected all of the hides and salted them, bring them back to the Odd Old Man's hut, along with 8 logs and a tinderbox (tool belt works). The following can be used for a quick return to the Odd Old Man's hut:
- Invitation box, use it to teleport to the Empyrean Citadel and then use it once more to teleport to Brother Samwell.
- Dig Site pendant
- Fairy ring, input the code C-K-S, and then use the Agility shortcut (level 65) next to the Paterdomus church.
- Ring of slaying to teleport to the Slayer Tower.
- Ring of duelling to Castle Wars and then use the Balloon transport system to Varrock (Earth altar).
- Earth altar teleport tablet can be used to teleport to the Earth altar. (Tablets can be obtained from the Runecrafting Guild by exchanging 36 Runecrafting guild tokens for each tablet.)
- Lumber Yard Teleport to teleport to the Lumber Yard.
- Gnome glider to Lemanto Andra, landing just south of the path to the Odd Old Man (the closest captain can be reached by taking the lodestone to Al Kharid).
- Wicked hood teleport to the Earth Altar
- Archaeology journal
Tanning with fire[edit | edit source]
Note that talking to the Odd Old Man before tanning will result in him taking the rock crab carcass. This will not affect you finishing the 8 hides and turning them in.
Click on the fire pit (not the pot-boiler used in the Rag 'n' Bone Man) while having the required furs/hides/skins and 8 logs in your inventory. The tanning process will begin (you don't have to do anything during it).
If you forgot to take enough logs then there are trees south of the Odd Old Man's house.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
Speak to the Odd Old Man, and give him all 9 items.
Congratulations! Quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 2,500 experience
- 2,500 experience
- 1,500 experience
- 500 experience
- 500 experience
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Fur 'n Seek ( 0) – Complete this quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Fur 'n Seek is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Fur 'n Seek|
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Mod Alex, Daniel J|
|Quality assurance||Vicki M, Andrew E, Ian 'Chief' H|
|Quest Help||Mod Rowley|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 22 August 2016 (Update):
- The tanning hides process in Fur 'n' Seek has been improved to be faster and require less input.
- patch 19 June 2012 (Update):
- Cremating vyrewatch and lighting a firepit in Fur 'n' Seek now uses the updated firemaking animation.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of release, the spoilers for the quest read: The rewards for this quest are mumblemumblemumble.... The spoilers for the secondary wish list read: I said the rewards are mumblemumblemumble!
- On the day of the quest's release, a game crash affected all players walking by the Clock Tower near Ardougne.
- "Fur 'n' seek" is a reference to the game Hide-and-seek, and animal skins can also be called hides; although it could also be a play on the word forensic.
- The newly released music track Exhibit 'A' has the unlock hint: This track unlocks when confronting the Odd Old Man's 'Exhibit'.
- Killing the black unicorn and the cave crawler, and going into the slayer cave are some of the Fremennik achievements.
- When incomplete and on a free-to-play world, the quest journal will say "Member's object" for every quest item instead of the object's actual name. This is different from the original Rag and Bone Man quest, which will show the name of the object regardless.
- It is possible to keep a fur after the quest, this is done by using the drop trick, by killing two of the creatures and taking both furs, tanning one then dropping it and tanning the other, then dropping one before turning in the other.
- Before the release of the quest, the Fenris wolves were ordinary wolves. And although their name and examine changed, their look and drop tables did not (with the exception of the additional drops of Fenris wolf pelts).
- Before the release of the quest, there was only one non-attackable fox wandering around the log balance shortcut to the Sinclair Mansion, a little bit west of General Khazard during The General's Shadow miniquest.
- Upon the completion of this quest, the Adventurer's Log would have read: The Odd Old Man wanted some pelts to go with his bones. What exactly is he trying to do with all that stuff?