The frozen key is used to open the frozen door in the God Wars Dungeon. Behind the door is the Ancient Prison, containing Zaros' followers and their leader, Nex. The key is combined from four parts, each one dropped by a combatant of the other four gods in the God Wars Dungeon — however, only monsters in the gods' strongholds (not boss rooms or the monsters fighting outside in the central room). This makes level 70 Strength, Agility, Ranged and Constitution necessary to obtain the key. None of the stats can be boosted. Completion of The Dig Site quest is also required for putting the key together.
Once created, the key has 10 charges, and it can hold up to 100. A charge will be used each time the frozen door is opened, and the key will end up in a degraded state once all charges have been used. The key can be repaired by Bob in Lumbridge for a cost based on your Smithing level. The cost of repairing one charge varies from 49,200 coins at level 1 Smithing to 10,000 coins at level 99 Smithing, with 400 coins saved per Smithing level. You can also repair it on an armour stand in a player-owned house, where the cost will work in exactly the same way.
Upon destroying the key, new pieces can be gathered and assembled into a new one with 10 charges.
This key cannot be put onto the steel key ring.
The frozen key pieces are dropped by any follower within each god's camp inside the God Wars Dungeon. There are four frozen key pieces, one for Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin, and Zamorak. If all four pieces are combined they will become a frozen key, which can be used to open the door to the Ancient Prison. It is not possible to have more than one of each of these pieces at a time.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 4 July 2016 (Update):
- This key and the arcane capacitor necklace will now no longer be automatically destroyed on death.
- ninja 29 February 2016 (Update):
- This key now holds up to 100 charges, instead of 10.
- patch 19 April 2011 (Update):
- This key will no longer get destroyed when running out of charges. It will need recharging before it will unlock the frozen door again, however.
- The key looks identical to the ragged elemental key from the Elemental Workshop III quest and similar to the lever key from the Buyers and Cellars quest except for the colour. The key pieces also have the same inventory icons as the mask parts from the mask of Dragith Nurn.
- During the Wild Weekends: Double Drops (19–21 May 2012) and Winter Weekends: Double Drops (1-3 December 2012), all the keys could be found in duplicate, but you could only pick one, making the other useless.