The Friends List can be used to send private messages to other players, including moderators, and to see which worlds they are currently on. Ignore List can also be reached from this tab.
If a player's private chat is set to off, then they will always appear as offline and it will not be possible to send them a private message. If their private chat is set to friends, then only people on the player's Friends List will be able to send them private messages. If attempting to send a message while the recipient logs out, it will say this player has left the server.
To add a player to the Friends List, click the yellow Add friend button in the Friends List interface, type the player's name, and press enter, or simply right-click their name in the chat box and select Add friend.
To delete a player from the Friends List, either right-click their name on the Friends List and click Delete, or click the red Remove friend button, type their name and press enter. The friends list can hold up to 200 names for free players and 400 for member players.
The third icon beside the Remove friend is labelled "Recruit a friend". Upon clicking you will be directed to a new tab or page offering the Refer a Friend Programme.
If a player meets one of their friends in game, the friend's character will be represented by a green dot on the minimap, instead of a white dot like most other players.
The divider between the usernames and the status on the Friends List is movable. This is so players can view the full usernames of friends with long names.
Status of friends[edit | edit source]
- Green - means the player is online, and in the same world as you.
- Yellow - means the player is online, but is in a different world, a Funorb game that you are not playing or the Lobby.
- Offline - means the player is offline, or has their private chat set to friends, if you are not on their friends list, or off.
Trail[edit | edit source]
The trailing option allows a player to path the optimal route to reach their friend assuming the other player is on the same world, is on the same floor/level, and is close enough.
Join[edit | edit source]
The join option allows a player to instantly switch their world to the one their friend is on, or, if currently on the same world, teleports them to the nearest activated lodestone if their friend is in close proximity to one and then activates a trail. This switch worlds faster than logging out or using the world select option on the World Map icon and saves a click, and is especially useful when it doesn't matter which world you switch to (such as repeatedly hopping to take advantage of resources). This option is also available for Clan Chat - and it may be easier, especially since clanmates have 4 right click options while a friend has 7 (8 if they are also a clanmate).
If your friend is closest to the Wilderness Volcano lodestone, you will be given a warning and asked if you really wish to teleport there. Some locations, such as Kethsi will target the Wilderness lodestone as well.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Since 19 November 2013 it is possible to add a note for each user on your Friends or Ignore List by right-clicking the name and selecting "Add Note". A note of maximum 30 characters can then be entered, which will show on the mouse-over tooltip of that user. The note can be cleared using the same interface.
Compare[edit | edit source]
Compare allows a player to examine a friend, given that both player are on the same world.
Inactive or non-existent friends[edit | edit source]
It's impossible to add friends to your friends list that don't exist.
Many inactive accounts have had their character names removed and made available to other players to obtain. Such accounts, until such time their user chooses one, will have no name to display on the Friends List. Players with friends who were deemed inactive, will note usernames such as [#123456789] on their Friends List.
When a friend who has been inactive for 30 days or more logs in, players that have them on their friends list will be given one of the following in game notifications:
- Player has returned to RuneScape after a break. Why not greet them?
- Player has returned to RuneScape after a break. Why not say hi?
- Player has returned to RuneScape! Help out and get them up to speed!
- Player has returned to RuneScape. Tell them about what they have missed.
- Player has returned to RuneScape. Welcome them back!
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Players on oldschool worlds 500+ will now have the appropriate flag set next to their name in friends list and friends chat windows.
- ninja 23 April 2019 (Update):
- Added an option in Social settings, under Friend List, to prevent other players from trailing you after adding you to their friends list.
- patch 1 April 2019 (Update):
- ninja 12 February 2018 (Update):
- Overhauled various code dealing with the different message types (e.g. friends/spam).
- patch 24 July 2017 (Update):
- An issue where the right side of the friends list could not be clicked if the vertical separator was moved has been fixed.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Your friends list will now re-populate when leaving baths at the Oo'glog resort.
- Adding a player to your friends list will no longer cause their name to not be visible on the list if they are offline.
- ninja 18 January 2016 (Update):
- The friends list will no longer become distorted when resizing the friends list window.
- Increased the spacing between the top of the friends list and the first player on the list.
- patch 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Players are now able to use the 'join friend' function to teleport to Lunar Isle if they have the requirements to visit.
- patch 26 January 2015 (Update):
- Players can now use the 'Join' feature via their Clan Chat and Friends Chat interfaces.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- The 'Join Friend' function no longer teleports players to the Wilderness lodestone if the friend is playing Fist of Guthix.
- Players attempting to use the Join option from the friends list to teleport to their friends within Prifddinas will now be taken to the correct lodestone.
- patch 20 October 2014 (Update):
- Players can now manually remove friends and ignored players with underscores in their names from the respective lists.
- The Friends List capacity for members has been increased to 400.
- patch 23 August 2011 (Update):
- The horizontal resize cursor for resizing the friends list separator has been updated.
- The Friends interface no longer has a tooltip that goes off of the bottom of the screen.
- patch 25 May 2011 (Update):
- The colour of the ‘same world’ text on the friends list interface has been darkened.
- update 25 May 2010 (Update):
- The Friends List capacity for free players has been increased from 100 to 200, to match the members limit.
- patch 9 September 2009 (Update):
- Ensured that people on your Friends and Ignore Lists are accurately displayed as being online or not.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- Friend login/out messages no longer have a ‘Add Friend' option – obviously, they're already your friends!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A current glitch with the Refer a Friend Programme causes the newest person on your friends list to show as the friend you recruited, instead of the actual friend.