|Release||26 July 2021 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||Yes|
|Backpack||Wield, Check charges|
|High alch||750,000 coins|
|Low alch||500,000 coins|
|The fractured and unstable Staff of Armadyl, taken during Kerapac's reign of terror.|
|Exchange||1,055,648,155 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The fractured Staff of Armadyl is a staff that requires level 95 Magic to wield. It must be assembled from its three fractured pieces - the Armadyl symbol, the stabilisation gem, and the shaft - all of which are dropped exclusively by Kerapac, the bound in hard mode. This process requires level 95 Crafting and is irreversible.
The staff degrades to a broken state over 60,000 charges of combat.
It can be augmented with an augmentor to create the augmented fractured staff of Armadyl. It can also be dyed with barrows, shadow, third-age, blood or ice dye.
The Fractured Staff of Armadyl's special attack, Instability. The player is using Exsanguinate
as their primary spell. The initial attack lands a critical hit, causing an auto-attack to fire. This auto-attack also lands a critical hit, causing a second auto-attack to fire. This second auto-attack lands a critical hit as well, causing a third auto-attack to fire. This third auto-attack does not land a critical hit and therefore the recursive auto-attacks caused by the initial attack have come to an end.
The staff has a special attack called Instability, which costs 50% adrenaline and has a 60 second cooldown between uses.
For 30 seconds, whenever the player inflicts a critical hit on their primary target, they will also fire an auto-attack one tick after the critical hit; this auto-attack does not interrupt channeled abilities, and can also trigger additional critical hits if it lands as one. This will happen recursively until a fired auto-attack is not a critical hit. Auto-attacks fired consume runes as normal. Unequipping the staff does not remove the self-buff. When dual wielding, the auto-attack takes the player's main-hand weapon into account.
Additionally, activating the special attack inflicts a hit of 50%-200% ability damage.
The effect only works when using magic weapons; while switching to ranged or melee weapons does not remove the buff timer (compared to the eldritch crossbow, where switching the main hand weapon causes the player to lose the effect), the special attack will not create additional attacks from critical melee or ranged hits.
Many sources contribute to the critical hit chance of an attack for Magic. These include (non-exhaustive list):
- Forced critical hit sources
- Natural critical hit chance of an ability or auto-attack
- These typically take on a range between 5% and 13.5%
If tick 1 is considered to be the tick when the player casts the Instability special attack (50 ticks remain on the bar), then tick 2 is when the initial hit fired from the staff lands on the target (49 ticks remain on the bar). Though it is possible to have a hitsplat land on tick 1, it does not cause an auto-attack to be fired if it crits. Therefore, the first tick possible for a given hit to cause an auto-attack to be fired is tick 2, when there are 49 ticks remaining on the bar.
Furthermore, the time between when the player casts the spell and when the auto-attack lands affects the pace at which auto-attacks are fired from the staff. This in turn sets a maximum number of auto-attacks that can be fired from the staff, given the amount of time left on the buff when the player lands their initial hit. The (collapsed) table below shows the time in ticks between the cast and the hit landing on the target.
|Combat spell speed
- ^ Includes area-of-effect properties of spell.
- ^ a b c 1 square away is melee distance (often called MD or md).
template = Calculator:Template/Combat/Instability
form = instabilityCalcForm
result = instabilityCalcResult
param = critInit|Initial hit critical hit chance (%)|30|number|0-100,0.01,0.01||The critical hit chance from the initial attack.
param = critAuto|Auto-attack critical hit chance (%)|30|number|0-100,0.01,0.01||The critical hit chance from the auto-attacks fired from the Instability special attack.
param = ticks|Time remaining on buff bar (game ticks)|49|int|0-49||The time remaining on the buff bar for the special attack in game ticks when the initial hit lands on the target. The buff lasts for 30 seconds (50 game ticks).
However, if a hit lands on the cast tick and is a critical hit, it will not cause an auto-attack to be fired. Therefore, the earliest tick that a hit can land is the next tick, when the buff has 49 ticks remaining.
This allows for a maximum of 50 recursive auto-attacks for fast magic spells, 25 for slow magic spells, and 17 for slowest magic spells.
param = speed|Select speed of spell|Slow|buttonselect|Fast,Slow,Slowest||The speed of the spell affects how quickly a recursive auto-attack follows the previous auto-attack. For fast spells, a recursive auto-attack follows 1 game tick after the previous auto-attack. For slow spells, it is 2 game ticks. For slowest spells, it is 3 game ticks.
This text will disappear if the form is loaded properly.
This text will disappear if the form is submitted.
The staff can be created by combining its relevant pieces: Fractured Armadyl symbol, Fractured stabilisation gem, and Staff of Armadyl's fractured shaft. Each piece of the staff is dropped by Kerapac, the bound in hard mode.
Fractured Staff of Armadyl
| Crafting level||95|
| Members only|
|Fractured Armadyl symbol||1||1,134,689||1,134,689|
|Fractured stabilisation gem||1||906,240||906,240|
|Staff of Armadyl's fractured shaft||1||1,029,936||1,029,936|
The fractured Staff of Armadyl can be recoloured with dyes from treasure trails for purely cosmetic purposes. This process is irreversible, and the dyed item cannot be traded (although there is a known bug where the dyed variants of the staff are currently tradable). A warning message is given when attempting to dye a plain fractured Staff of Armadyl.
Comparison with other magical weapons[edit | edit source]
3D model of the Fractured Staff of Armadyl
Dyed variants of the Fractured Staff of Armadyl
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 6 September 2021 (Update):
- The Fractured Staff of Armadyl has been added to the Magic Skill Guide.
- When a player dies in the Wilderness with the dyed version of the Fractured Staff of Armadyl equipped, they will leave the broken base version of it as loot.
- patch 31 August 2021 (Update):
- The Staff of Armadyl's special attack's initial hit will now deal 50-200% ability damage as stated in the tooltip.
- update 16 August 2021 (Update):
- Restored the ability for auto attacks critical hits to fire off extra spell casts.
- Fixed an issue where the extra spell cast from the staff was doing offhand damage if you were using dual-wielded weapons.
- Extra spell casts can now only fire off if the critical hit is on the player's main target.
- patch 9 August 2021 (Update):
- The Staff of Armadyl’s special attack is now affected by the Altar of War’s cooldown reset.
- Dyed versions of the Fractured Staff of Armadyl are no longer tradeable.
- hotfix 28 July 2021:
- Changed the Staff of Armadyl's special attack to stop extra spellcasts firing off from non-ability based critical hits whilst we investigate and monitor the power level of the special attack.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ramen's Twitter account. 27 July 2021. (Archived from the original on 28 July 2021.) Mod Ramen: "We've deployed a hotfix for the Staff of Armadyl's special attack to stop extra spellcasts firing off from non-ability based critical hits whilst we investigate and monitor the power level of the special attack."