Forum:What about the YouTube Channel?
What about the YouTube Channel?
Well I, Smart28, am approaching 99 Hitpoints, my first 99 skill, and looked on YouTube on the Wikia channel, TheRuneScapeWika.  I saw Tienjt0’s 99 fishing video, Randommelon’s 99 Firemaking video, Larchelondon’s (Bonziiznob) and Chiafriend12’s 99 Fletching videos, and Jediadam4’s 99 Cooking video.
So this all happened last night and I thought to myself…ok…I will have my younger brother (Jedi) upload my 99 Hitpoints video I will make in a couple weeks at the Wikian party I hope to organize soon. I would post it on my channel, but also would like to post it on the Wikia’s. I would film of course, but he could get on and upload it. I thought that the 99 videos on the channel were good but could use so buffing up, as, and you must admit it, those aren’t the hardest 99s to achieve other than Tienjt0’s. My basic thinking was that another 99 video would be a positive boost to the channel.
So I asked Jedi if he would do that for me and he said no. I said why. He said policy. So I then proceeded to ask why his 99 Cooking video was there and what the purpose of the channel was if not promoting the Wikia. He acknowledged that it was something to this effect. I then asked why the other 99 videos haven’t been taken down and he said he would try to get that done, but would have to confer with the other administrators. This was my attempt to show what may be construed as a bias. I then backtracked and thought that more and better (my opinion =) ) 99s would be a great improvement to the channel. For some reason yet unknown to me, he was against it.
So I took it to our R S Wikia CC and proceeded to debate it with Jedi, Larchelondon, Evil Yanks, and a couple other guys that I can’t remember =(. Anyways, Jedi keep saying, “Go to Yew Grove on it!!” and here I am. In the CC, Larch was for the most part agreeing with me and brought up the point about how the YouTube channel is administrated and how people go about getting the pass to the channel. Currently only Jedi, Chia, InstantWinston, and CoNgRaTzItSaCoLo have access. I thought this was a valid point. He then suggested that instead of a few people deciding who gets the privilege, the Wikia Community does. Now this sounded much more democratic to me and I said I supported his suggestion.
So it all boils down to this:
-What is the purpose for TheRuneScapeWikia YouTube channel if not for promoting the Wikia? So far it is really dull and hardly worth subscribing to.
- -If for promoting the Wikia, are Wikian 99 parties not Wiki events and not subject to promotion on our YouTube channel?
- -If so, what will the criteria be for having your 99 wiki party video posted?
- -If not, why are videos, including Jedi’s (my critic) 99 Cooking party still up?
-Who gets to be keeper of the keys for the YT channel and should that not be decided by means of a democratic-style vote?
- -If more people obtain the password, what will be able to be posted and what not?
- -Personally I believe the two playlists, User 99 Parties and Wikifests, we have are good to start as for subjects though on Christine and Larch’s wedding night...=), other playlists/subjects such as weddings might soon be added.
- -If not…I don’t really know but currently is seems a little dictatorial to me…
-That’s it for now I hope I haven’t totally bored you…
Yes, I believe I need this section or people will think I’m attention hungry and head hunting for subscribers. I want to improve TheRuneScapeWikia channel on YouTube.  Notice I have not named my channel and don’t usually go on and on about something on the Wikia. I am not a big socialite, more of an achiever, but feel these changes would achieve good in a neglected area. I also know that I don't participate much, but that is in part the because of my not being a socialite and part I don't stick my nose in where I feel it is not needed. So that’s that. All I ask is some good solid debate, sound reasoning, and some results.
Thank-you very much.
20:25, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
That was a lot of reading. Personally, I believe your video should be able to be uploaded. You are part of the community, and the "owners" of the youtube channel cannot be biased in whose videos go up. We are a community, and if the founders of the channel say yours can't go up, then they are certainly not treating you as equal. This is a violation of our policy in itself. There should be no contest if one of our community members wishes to have a 99 party video displayed. Karlis (talk) (contribs) 20:33, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
I agree with Karlis. But in all honesty, do we really need to have said Youtube Channel in the first place? -Byte_Master 20:36, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Ok, I too obviously agree with Karlis, but why did we make a channel in the first place...? Jedi spent 8 hours on a 47 second "commercial" for the Channel and says now that I cannot have my video on the channel. Seems rather odd to me.20:42, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Just look at the boiled down section for a summary lol20:46, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- ffs edit conflicts...
- Well I recall being present in the choosing of the new YT channel name as the discussion was held in the CC. At the time, it was for videos such as the wikifest and other community events. Seeing as how multiple members of our community are present for eachother's 99 parties, it would seem this would count, especially since other 99 videos are up already.
- Colo - It would be best to read the whole thing to have an unbiased opinion on the topic.Karlis (talk) (contribs) 20:46, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Yes. Wikian 99 parties ought to count as Wikia activities and subject to being put on the channel. It would spruce up the channel it's quality as a channel if more and (my opinion) better ones are added. So far the only not buyable and rather easy 99 on the channel is Tienjt0's fishing 99.20:52, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Often enough a majority of the attendees to the 99 Party discussed on the wiki forums or in the clan chat, are Wikian's. As this can be considered a social gathering of wikian's, much just like the wikifest is a social gathering, I feel it has the criteria to be mentioned.
21:02, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Ok...I see what you mean, I think that every wiki promoting video should be able to be displayed on the channel, weather it be a WikiFest, 99 video, or a Commercial for the wiki. However though, for who gets access to the channel is a though one, those who are able to actively post positive videos promoting the wiki should be allowed to have access towards the channel. But, its hard to say weather someone's trustable or not. So hypotheticly speaking let's say I were to post 7 decent videos promoting the community, but then one day I get banned from the wiki for whatever reason, and then I get terribly mad, then I go to the channel change the password, and delete the videos. We don't know who exactly we can trust, gradually overtime I think us 4 (Jedi, Me, Chia, Instant), will be able to see if anybody else can be able to support the responsability. Right now though I don't think it's possible to give out the password publicly to every user/IP on the wiki. Also, some people may think of this as a popularity contest, I have access to the channel, there for I'm better then you!1!1!111!!!!!!1!!!, therefore, why give the pass word to someone (who can't/doesn't want) make videos? (To Sum it up, all videos the are related to the Wiki in a non-negative way should be able to be upload, but it's too hard to tell who can have access and who cannot) ço¬Ø
I see what you mean too. Personally, I would only use this privilege for uploading my first 99 and probably my trimmer, not every single 99. I do think that to even be considered for keeper of the keys for the channel, some name recognition might be needed, as well as a long history of being a Wikian. I have been a Wikian since December 2007 though I had been using the Wikia for a while already. I also believe that though not the number one name on the Wikia, my username is one of recognition. I am less concerned about having the pass as being able to have my video uploaded as my little bro Jedi could get on and do that for me. That said, I would not mind being entrusted with the password.21:14, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- Smart, it's not the skill that matters. You seem to think that just because it may be a greater feat in RuneScape means it should go on the channel. We could have a video of some guy soloing the Corporal Beast, but that is not advertising the wiki. That is a personal advertisement. It is what our channel looks like to the public that matters. If they see a bunch of videos with random people in them, not the best editing jobs, and it just looks unprofessional they will think we are that type of fansite, which we are not. I am in favour of taking down the others' 99 videos, because they can always show them on their personal, channel, unless they are attention freaks. So why do you want all of the attention? You have a personal channel. Also, we can't upload videos for everyone just because they have a Wiki account or use the Wiki a tad bit. People are really just borrowing our channel then, and using it for their own reasons. I would like to make our channel more professional, it is a website's YouTube channel, not a private one. Yes, users are part of the community, no doubt, but we have hundreds of users, so we can't do this for everyone. Since we can't do it for everyone, I say we do it for no one, and we take down the preexisting videos. A person's 99 video is not promoting the Wiki, it is promoting yourself. If you would like the password, try participating the the community events more, and doing more for the Wiki. Make videos, attend gatherings, be more active. Just being a user for over a year but not contributing to the Wiki and it's community is no reason to give you the password. If that was the case, we would have dozens of people with the YouTube password, which we simpeliy can't as there is no rollback button for vandalism on YouTube. To me, you remind me of someone running a RFA with 2 edits. So uploading more videos like 99 parties is not benefiting the Wiki at all, it is just showing off if you are vain and would like more attention. I am all for taking down to previous 99 videos. They were only uploaded to get the channel rolling, but now that we have others, we can take all the ones showcasing personal achievements down. Also, stop calling me your "little bro". I find that highly offensive. Jedi Talk 21:44, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Ok...then why the hell do we have a channel...brother? I am not saying that I want to be admin, rollback, entrusted with the pass to the channel, or whatever. Furthermore, if you had taken the time to read my disclaimer and most likely my whole message, you would get the point. Wikian 99 Videos are Wikian activities and should be subject to promotion on the YouTube channel. So I guess we are resorting to bold now. Also, let me get this straight. A 99 Cooking video is the same on all levels as a 99 Summoning video if "all 99s are equal"... Somehow, that doesn't seem correct.22:04, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- How many times do I have to say this... It is not the skill or RuneScape accomplishment that matters. Jedi Talk 22:31, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Does anyone else find this above statement...wrong? This is the precise reason I choose not to go with an easy 99. Silly me. I guess I should have gone for 99 Cooking. This is stupid reasoning. Ok, let's be a little more straightforward. Why can we not have Wikian 99 Videos on TheRuneScapeWikia YouTube channel. They are advertisment for our Wikia. If we cannot, what is the purpose for the channel? Can anyone answer this with reason? Advanced thanks to anyone who can, and we need more people on this topic.22:47, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- For exactly the same reason we have level 30 admins, and fine ones I might add. I already answered by we shouldn't have users 99 videos previously on this page. Jedi Talk 23:03, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- Well, how about this, I'm going to ask everyone, What do you consider a video advertisement?, I don't have much of an opinion on that subject. So I'll ask the community. ço¬Ø
Well, Jedi made a 47 second commercial that took him 8 hours to make. That's one. Another might be better and more 99 Videos so other people see our channel not as lower quality and maybe "noobish", but something that possesses real quality. The lvl 30 admin thing is irrelevant in this debate I believe.
- So far against my suggestions we have: Colo and Jedi...the channel admins.
- So far for my suggestions we have: Karlis, Byte Master, Bonziiznob, and I, all respected Wikians.
23:24, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- That "all respected Wikians" comment is solely your opinion. You are not respected here in my eyes. This also involves YouTube too, and you need a good amount of YouTube experience. And don't go calling people noobs because they have "noobish" skill capes. No skill cape is noobish. Another thing, we are not looking to present our fansite to others as one that there aren't new RuneScape players here. If you don't like noobs, then too bad, because I love having new RuneScape players as Wikians. It seems to me you have something against lesser RuneScape players, which is quite hateful. We need to limit the number of people running the channel. I believe the current 4 are ok, and not as likely to become corrupt like others. Jedi Talk 23:42, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
Notice I said "other people" in reference to those YouTubers who come across the channel. Please do not try to take my words out of context. I have no problem against any skillcape, just that adding some videos of some harder ones would be good for the channel. Are you against this? Against making the channel better? Also, you four can continue to administer to the channel if it comes to that. I would like to see users be able to have their own special 99 moments posted though. Are you against that?23:52, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, I'm against people posting personal videos on a Wiki channel. I want to take down the existing ones. It would not make it look better, just worse because people will see random people using the channel as their own. I have access to both channels, but I use my personal channel for my YouTube stuff, such as watching videos, adding friends, commenting, etc. Do you post your RuneScape videos on Jagex's channel? It's just like how you wouldn't put the party on this page, you would put it on this page. Simple. Jedi Talk 00:08, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
I am not saying that I would watch videos or anythings else on the Wikia's channel. That said, I don't know why TheRuneScapeWikia has watched 874 videos... I also don't know why I am the brunt of your complaining as at least three other people that agree with me that more User 99 Parties, already a playlist, would be a great addition to the channel. No, I would post on the Hitpoint cape page because that is for information about the cape. The channel I believe is supposed to be for promoting the Wikia, and one of the ways to go about doing that is with User 99 Parties. I also wouldn't post on Jagex's channel...they are only subscribed to one person, Zezima by the way... Please, someone else comment on this. My brother isn't being logical at the moment.01:32, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- Don't you dare flame and attack me personally! I am being logical at the moment. Can't you tell the difference between a private channel and one promoting a website, not individual users? Also, you might want to review RS:AEAE. Jedi Talk 03:00, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Ok brother(yes you are so I don't consider it flaming), you don't need exclamations... I will not say anything else until we get someone else and some more reason on this. I also read that thing, and I am not saying editors are unequal in any way. If anything it supports my arguments of for equality on a channel controlled by Wikians who are subject to that policy. Wikia User 99 Parties are Wikia events and subject to promotion on the Wikia channel.03:34, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Comment - I don't see a contradiction in terms in uploading a video for "one's own gain" and "for the wiki's gain". Just because the level 99:er profits of it (and all the participants at the party), it doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad for the wiki. I also can't see what is wrong with attracting the "wrong people"; if we get more editors to the wiki, I would be bold to say that it is a good thing, not a bad thing.06:13, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Yes, the correlation Jedi is trying to make between what User greed and Wikia gain is, is very hazy at best. I take this to mean that you are for more User 99 Parties, but let me know if this is incorrect.
- So far Pro 99s: Bonziiznob, Karlis, Byte Master, Wejer, and Smart28. =5
- So far Con 99s: Jediadam4 and CoNgRaTzItSaCoLo =2
More people's comments and inputs would be great!06:29, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Now someone has gone to the channel and deleted the videos...Chia may be trying to fix atm if he can, at least try to re-upload his.06:37, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- I beg your pardon. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-Bc-DQEH4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWB8LIW5HQ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCaMwGJb8g - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2wdDmv1EGo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQnTmuBeO0 - Dude... ??? - Jedi Talk 06:48, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Well, someone,*cough*, deleted the User 99 Parties playlist and made it so that the videos didn't show up on the channel. To find them, you would have to do a search for them... This is blatant abuse of power.06:56, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Comment - They appear again, but the playlist is still MIA.07:15, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
Comment - This is what is currently on the channel aside from 99 parties, for those who don't know. Based on this, I'm sure we can agree that the channel is pointless altogether and not worth the hassle:
- A short clip that shows the founders of... the clan chat channel. 1
- A whole 7 minutes of people playing with emotes. 2
- An in-game wedding 3
- Hard to read screenshots of the wiki 4
1 Doesn't the idea of recognizing specific people for the community's tools and displaying them in a better light sound contradictory to RS:AEAE?
2 Random people doing random things. Isn't this why you criticized the 99 party videos?
3 Random people pretending to get married.
4 I know this was intended as an advertisement, but it's difficult to read and zoomed in to the point where everything is pixelated. Mostly a bad representation of the wiki.
In all honesty, can we just drop the channel altogether? There's nothing there that's worth keeping. If people want to put 99 parties and other stuff on youtube, they can create their own accounts and upload it themselves like everyone else does. The idea of a channel on youtube dedicated to the wiki may have sounded cool at the time, but I have my reservations that it hasn't helped the wiki a bit. -Byte_Master 07:16, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- I actually agree with Byte to be honest. Let's delete the channel to save us from this pitiful argument. It isn't really helping the Wiki much anyways. Jedi Talk 07:36, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- Comment - I guess Jedi had to resort to dirty politics to get his way. Yes, this is not helping the Wikia because you are not helping the Wikia. Those videos Byte Master listed above are a precise argument to making the Wikia's channel better. Anyways, my YouTube channel address can be found on my here and is where I will post my 99s to share with people. Hopefully Jedi will take responsibility and restore the User 99 Parties playlist and give up his pass for his blatant abuse of power. I know he did these things, but I don't have to much proof other than a crappy screen shot. He is my little brother though, and I know his ways. I just wanted to help improve the channel and Jedi...forced his hand in an immature act of selfishness.
Regretfully yours,07:53, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- P.S. - He is my brother. This is not flaming. This is the truth...an inconvenient truth for Jedi.
- How did I resort to "dirty politics"??? You blame me for posting the 1st comment seen in the other YouTube channel thread, which I did not make, someone else was on at the same time as me and made that. You are flaming and attacking me multiple times. Those are personal attacks, and it doesn't matter if we are brothers. We are both users. If I was a sysop, I'd ban you for a week or a month, and you should be. Do not call me selfish and immature, do not accuse me of blaming my privileges on the YouTube channel, as there are no set guidelines for managing the channel. I had every right to hide the playlist, which I did before this very page was created. You are just attention hungry, you even link to your YouTube page several times, brag about your upcoming 99 hp, etc. Why don't you just get out of the Wiki, you are just trying to show off your RuneScape skills and put down others. I am the one that helps out the Wiki FAR more then you do. I am friendly with other Wikians, unlike you, I chat in the CC dialy, I go onto the forums, I edit on most days, I spent making Random's video long before YouTube actually had a Wikians. Sysops, ban him for flaming please. Also please close this page to prevent people from editing it. Jedi Talk 09:25, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
I said that I am done arguing with you.10:00, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
I don't think I've ever seen a discussion page so riddled with the same two signatures. Come on you two. Me and my brother get along great, and we both use Wikia and RuneScape. :S
Anyway, I think that any video which is footage of an event held by Wikians (such as the wedding. I think all but two people there were Wikians.) should be put up. The way I see it, the channel isn't promoting the site, it's promoting our community. As such, video of official and unofficial community events should be put up.
To answer a question that I believe was asked by Smart way earlier, the reason most of the 99 videos are of easy 99s is that that's all that has really happened since the channel was formed. If Amaurice got 99 Summoning after the channel was made, we might've had that. Chiafriend12I have 12 friends. 20:36, 31 March 2009 (UTC)
- And my point was since I am about to get a harder 99, why can't we have that along with all the other 99s to come form other users too? 00:16, 1 April 2009 (UTC)
Closed - Since the channel has been closed, this discussion has been rendered moot.--
00:20, 1 April 2009 (UTC)