Forum:Web Citation Bot
I'd like to propose an extension to HairyBot to fix citation links on pages, including archiving them.
This would include fixing things such as:
- Adding the archive url and archive date, if it isn't already there
- Changing a url in the ref tag to a cite template, with the archived url
- Take a url on a page and put it into the PlainCiteGeneral template, again, archiving it
This could possibly affect all mainspace pages, completely depending if there are external links. The result of this would be cleaner references and external links that wouldn't ever expire, which is always good to have.
Support - As bot owner. Hair 04:06, December 10, 2012 (UTC)
- If it's not beneficial then why have it? 00:06, December 11, 2012 (UTC)
Support - The main reason for this is archiving RSOF threads that only last a certain amount of time. Game Update FAQs, JMod responses to questions, random update hints, etc. Is it possible to have the bot detect a RSOF thread and then pick what forum it belongs to for cqm 00:47, 11 Dec 2012 (UTC) (UTC)? It is a standard QFC at the beginning of each thread that belongs to a forum - 16,17 for Future Updates, 14,15 for Recent Updates, etc.
- Being able to categorize the forum can be done, so I'll configure the code to be able to do this. Hair 04:04, December 11, 2012 (UTC)
Support - It fills out references, and according to the credits in the code comments, it's used on Wikipedia. What more could I say?
13:25, December 11, 2012 (UTC)
- Well... It had a RFBA, but due to the operator running out of spare time to fix some things up with the code, they had to withdraw. I did nothing more than use some of the same functions (modified for rsw), so there shouldn't be any problems. Just wanted to point that out with the code. Hair 13:34, December 11, 2012 (UTC)
Support - If this is added I can finally take Category:Unarchived forum references off my watchlist :P As long as it doesn't go crazy it would be a pretty useful addition! ɳex undique 19:11, December 14, 2012 (UTC)
Support - Because it's Hairr and his bots be swagalastic. MolMan 16:29, December 16, 2012 (UTC)
Support - Would help cut down on the amount of expired forum posts used as sources, always a good thing. I do rather wonder what it would do if it found an expired forum link though23:42, December 17, 2012 (UTC)
- This could also be implemented for the cite forums, though I might have to change it to read forum page to find a class that would only be found with forum pages. If that class isn't found, then remove the citation and replace with Hair 04:22, December 18, 2012 (UTC .
- If the forum no longer exists, it is likely it will never be sourced. I believe old forum posts redirect to a specific page not in the forums, certainly with the forums from before the website revamp. cqm 09:50, 18 Dec 2012 (UTC) (UTC)
Note - Before this is closed, as there appars to be consensus to add such a task, I'd like to have all the cite templates configured with the cite url and cite archivedate. Hair 04:31, December 18, 2012 (UTC)
Closed - There is consensus to implement a web citation bot for the wiki. All implementations mentioned have been accounted for within the code, with all seeable issues worked out. Hair 02:39, December 21, 2012 (UTC)