Forum:User of the Month Voting
Recently on the User of the Month page, Andrew (soldier) has said there is no rule for voting twice. I think there should be one because first off it makes the vote unfair to the page as you can vote for all if you like and in real life, political/social, you are NOT allowed to vote on two partys/people. It's very simple so why was this not added and should we add it?
Support - Did he really say that? I thought you could only vote once and that's that.19:09, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- If you want, go to Hapi's nomination and check for yourself. Mo 55 55 Talk|Sign 19:10, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - I think he meant you can vote for all three nominations at once, not submit multiple votes for the same person zezzima. This isn't a popularity contest, why does it matter if I or Andrew support every single nomination ever? There is nothing to gain or take advantage of. TEbuddy 19:34, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- Did someone just say UOTM wasn't a popularity contest...?
- It isn't, its about recognizing good contributions. TEbuddy 22:18, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Who says we have to do what people do in real life politics and social life? (if that were so, we'd all be spewing personal attacks and at each other and putting scandalous ads of users on the sitenotice :P ) Second, how would it harm the wiki to leave this feature in place? I don't think it does any harm voting for more than one person. Butterman62 (talk) 19:37, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- I'm not saying we should do what is in real life but I was using it as an example. Its how everything works but whats the point if theirs two presidents and I vote for both. Doesn't really make sense. Mo 55 55 Talk|Sign 19:42, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- So explain then how you can compare two presidents competing for office and two hopeful sysops competing for an infinite number of sysop positions? TEbuddy 20:00, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- Mo 55 55, Can you please explain how voting for more than one person makes an election "unfair"? In fact, in Wikimedia Board of Trustees elections (for those of you on Wikipedia), you are allowed to vote for as many people as you want (if I remember correctly). Butterman62 (talk) 15:55, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - I think the purpose of Featured User to let users know you appreciate their contributions and their commitment to the wiki, not offering them praise. If you feel more then one candidate has met that criteria why not offer support to both of them?
20:36, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- Well said. Oppose. 23:02, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- Everyone knows its about that but why multiple votes, it just makes it unfair. Mo 55 55 Talk|Sign 09:18, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Per all.
Oppose - at first I thought it was that you could vote for the same user more than once. this needs better wording. as per Bonzii, taking away the right to vote for multiple users will kill a fair amount of the consept. 11:40, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - This has been discussed before, though not on Yew Grove (RuneScape_talk:User_of_the_Month#Multiple_votes) . 13:35, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Per all. On your political note, in fact originally in the U.S.A you voted twice for president and whoever got the most became president and the person with the second most became vice president, but this was later changed only due to the president and vice president being different political parties and not getting along. Back on topic, what does it hurt? If someone votes for everyone then their vote just means nothing. - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 20:02, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
Comment - If we are planning not to allow multiple voting, there is an other issue:
Imagine, a player gets nominated on 1st of August. You vote for him. Later that month, another user gets nominated, which, you think, deserves it more to be Uotm.
Should it be allowed to change your vote during the month? . 18:49, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
- It already is just like any other voting process. There is nothing stopping anyone from crossing out a vote if they change their mind. Andrew talk 20:17, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
Request for closure - Multiple voting is allowed. (This could be added as a rule to the Uotm page, to avoid misunderstandings.). 13:23, 30 July 2009 (UTC)