Forum:Use of "Gadgets"
Features of the Gadgets extension:
- Adds a new tab at Special:Preferences: "Gadgets".
- Allows descriptions and names, and safekeeping at MediaWiki pages.
- No more /monaco.css/monaco.js
Support - At first, I though that these were the same as widgets, but further reading and stuff has me to see otherwise. These seem great, and users can easily pick what they want to edit with, and what not to. This seems like a good idea to me. ~MuzTalk 23:00, July 10, 2010 (UTC)
Support - Sounds like a useful extension.23:48, July 10, 2010 (UTC)
Support - Sounds useful. I'm a regular user and I approve this message.
Support - Sounds awesome08:40, July 11, 2010 (UTC)
Strong Support - Great for those without and account!21:11, July 11, 2010 (UTC)
- How should we do this then? Is it possible to add them to the .js files, and users can use the gadget preferences to disable the ones they don't want? And what about a skin, should we place a custom skin, or default wiki skin? We may want to wait for Forum:Wiki changes to get consensus before deciding on the skin issue. ~MuzTalk 21:49, July 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Hypothetically, anything could be enabled or disabled by default. For something enabled, the gadgets-installable script would simple set the "disabled" flag - provided the script supports one, of course. For example, gemwupdate.js supports disabling it with a variable. I'm a regular user and I approve this message.
- I think it'd be best if we get the feature activated, and then users can report problems or changes here in the next few days. That way, we won't have new threads complaining or whatever. If the thread specifically needs to be closed for Wikia, so that it is an official acknowledgement by us that there is consensus for the feature, I am happy to do so. There is clear, unanimous consensus here to implement it. Chicken7 >talk 08:20, July 16, 2010 (UTC)
- Whoops, forgot about it... Will be ASAP. Mark (talk) 16:42, August 5, 2010 (UTC)
Notice - Yay. It has been enabled. After me forgetting it and after some mailserver problems, it has been enabled. I'll set up some of the extensions. See Help:Gadgets for information on the extension. Mark (talk) 19:04, August 7, 2010 (UTC)
Closed - Proposal has been implemented. No complaints/problems at this point. Further queries should be directed to the Administrator Requests or Mark/Tedjuh's talk page. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 14:07, August 13, 2010 (UTC)