The Wiki is full of them. In fact, the whole internet is full of them. Typos are minor and harmless, but in bigger quantities, can make something look less professional and unreliable.
That's why in hopes of bringing their numbers on this Wiki to a minimum, I'll be sharing with you an easy way to quash them and help make the RSW a cleaner place.
- Are not fancy of large edits
- Are not proficient with images
- Want to contribute but don't know how
Then keep on reading!
- A browser that comes with a spell-checker (preferably Chrome for convenience)
- Basic knowledge of the English language (British dialect)
How To[edit source]
- Open Google Chrome and head over to Google
- Apart from being arguably the largest search engine on the internet, Google has the ability to focus its search on specific websites with the use of a simple command.
- Our target is this Wiki, so we'll proceed by -in the search box- typing
site:http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/followed by what we want to search. In this case, a typo. E.g: permantly. Thus the final query should be:
site:http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/ "permantly". Do not forget about quotation marks, that way you're telling Google to only search for exactly that word and that word only.
- The result: There! We have our first typo. Simply open up the article->edit and right click the word to replace it:
- But wait! Don't just abandon the article yet. Perhaps that's not the only typo that needs our attention. While in the article, start at the top and simply go down by hitting your arrow keys. Pay attention to red underlines, but be careful because the spell-checker won't automatically recognise some unique/made-up words such as 'Zamorak' or 'RuneScape'. Here's an example of more typos in the same page: and how beneficial it can be to give the article just a wee more of your time.
- Do not forget to include an edit summary (under 'browse standard summaries'). In this case Corrected spelling/grammar.
That's for the main thing, now for some recommendations.
- If you don't know where to start, simply click on random page->edit then use your down arrow key to look for red underlines. Write them down on notepad and repeat the steps above.
- If you are unsure about a word, it's always best to leave it for the time being. Spell-checkers aren't magic and can come with some mistakes. Ironically.
- Avoid: talk pages/discussions, archived stuff, stuff that's been taken directly from Jagex such as updates or in-game books, user pages.
- Editing templates is usually harmless but make sure you know what you're doing, because sometimes words can be mistyped intentionally as part of the code.
- Every time you come across a new typo, I suggest you write it down so you can then proceed to carry on the steps provided above at a later time. This is especially good for words that are commonly mistyped.
- Include an edit summary.
- Use British spelling for words.
- This will get more people into editing as it consists on a simple task with a simple purpose.
- Cleaner, more professional look of the wiki.
Final words[edit source]
I always try to be bold but in this case, I believe that this will have a bigger impact upon the Wiki if more users are involved. I've been dealing with typos for days as you can see in my contributions and concluded that individually, the difference is not very noticeable, but as a group it will be. That is why I decided to post about it here.
Closed - While your intention is honourable, this is not the sort of thing for the yew grove, but rather something that could perhaps be put onto a user subpage instead00:01, July 14, 2013 (UTC)
- Alternatively, you could head to RS:TODO and list it under tasks, or make a project out of it. 00:13, July 14, 2013 (UTC)