Forum:Transparency: do we really need it?
Almost all of our non-animated images on the wiki are transparent (meaning the background has been whited out). I have been wondering why we do this. Removing the background only adds extra work for uploaders, and I think it is better to show the true background that is displayed in-game. It also often makes the images ugly or "artificial" (see the image here, for example). I realise that sometimes the background can distract from the main point of the image, but it is my opinion that transparency is somewhat pointless. The game guide, along with many fansites, do not use it. Why should we?
I propose that we stop using transparency in our images. This proposal may be met quite negatively, but it's worth a try.
Oppose - transparency looks much more professional, clean, and simple. If this does pass, then we would have to go back in and change all the images to a non transparent version, and that is more work than adding transparency is in the first place. One of the reasons I use this wiki over runetips like I used to is because we do things like this.13:08, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Transparency is a good thing, particularly with inventory images, although I agree with Telos that some of the images with transparency could use some work. --Quarenon Talk 15:20, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - People who use different themes (like me) like transparency. Images without it don't look good.15:25, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
- 1st point fansites do use transparency to a certain extent : http://www.runehq.com/database.php?type=person&id=01502, http://www.tip.it/runescape/?rs2monster_id=219, http://www.zybez.net/monsters.php
These are some of the biggest RS fansites out there and if u mean small rubbish fansites its because they dont have the man-power and/or time.
- 2nd we are not a fansite we are a wiki
- 3rd if a person decides to add transparency to an image it makes the file size smaller(saving server space)
- 4th no one forces a person to add it.
- 5th the game guide photos are taken in a server with no other players in it meaning that there can be no distractions(meaning other players, NPC's etc)
- lastly there is transparency in the game guide : http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/penguin_hide_and_seek
Please do a bit more research before stating facts that arnt true16:22, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
- Actually, we are required to add transparency by the images and media policy, but I see your point. ~ Sentry Telos Talk 21:11, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
Comment dont know why it came out in a box like that could someone fix that please, i'm in-able16:24, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Transparencies allow the picture to be focused on a single object. They make images less blended in. Basically, they remove anything unneccessary. Doucher4000******r4000 22:03, September 2, 2009 (UTC)