Forum:Transcript Overhaul Project
After reviewing the list of transcripts, more specifically the NPC transcripts, it became clear that they really needed some attention. There is clearly an attempt at SOME kind of universal template, but there are a LOT of issues that need to be fixed and in some cases the entire transcript may need to be reformatted.
My proposal is to form a small group of people to have the task of going through all of the transcripts and fixing all of the issues as needed. With there being over 2000 transcripts to go through, it's not a small project in the least. Ideally I'd like to get some people on board who already know a lot about Template:Tact and how to properly format transcripts, however it won't be entirely required as I will have an example Transcript up and running by then.
So what's the purpose of this forum post? I want opinions on this undertaking, should it be a project with a small group of people, or should it be placed in OSWF? Is there some changes to transcripts you'd like to see other than just formatting? Do you support or do not support this as a project? Let me know below! Thanks for reading, feel free to post about it below!
Question - Can you go into more detail about what's wrong with the current transcript formatting? I think everyone agrees they're not great but people often have a hard time agreeing on how to overhaul them, regardless of the effort required. ʞooɔ 15:47, 28 June 2021 (UTC)
- What I mean is if you go between transcripts there's no consistency. There is an attempt at consistency, but when you actually look it becomes clear that each person has their own way they think it should be formatted. I noticed a lot of missing Template:Tact and in place is manual typing. It's possible that the way they are formatted needs to be looked at, but for the purpose of this project would be to unify all of the transcripts to one format that is followed throughout. If you need more details I'd be more than happy to provide! Kosmiklove (talk) 15:55, 28 June 2021 (UTC)
Comment - We have RuneScape:Style guide/Transcripts (which looks much more complete than I remembered). Would be good to understand if this project is to apply that guide if it isn't already or whether there's deficiencies that need to be resolved too. cqm talk 15:57, 28 June 2021 (UTC)
- That page is really useful! Now that I have that, I'd love to see that format applied to all of the pages (and if there's flaws, fix them). I also think there's some deficiencies to be tended to along with that. Kosmiklove (talk) 17:58, 28 June 2021 (UTC)
- In which case I think go ahead and make those changes. If there's something you think needs to be added to the style guide and you don't think it's controversial, if just add it in. If it's controversial, maybe ask an open question in discord for feedback.
- I'd start by listing all the transcripts out and making a project page in your userspace. Then if other people are interested, you can grab work off the list without doing the same thing twice. cqm talk 14:11, 5 July 2021 (UTC)
Comment - I support making all the transcripts match the policy, but that doesn't need a forum. I am interested in what some deficiencies to be tended to specifically are, and proposed changes to the policy to resolve them. 15:28, 30 June 2021 (UTC)
Comment - we have a lot of recently created NPC transcripts that were done as part of OSWF (and probably not done 100% as per the style guide) as well as a recentish change with the introduction of. I feel like this might simply be a case of applying the existing standards to the transcripts. This could possibly work as OSWF but it would need clear guidance on what to do to standardise guides and a list of ones to work on. The amount of work involved in setting up a task might make it more worthwhile for you to simply fix the issues yourself as you see them. 14:02, 5 July 2021 (UTC)
- After some more thought - I agree. I think for now I will make it a personal project, and if need be in the future I will make an entire page dedicated to what needs to be done. Thank you for the feedback! Kosmiklove (talk) 16:05, 5 July 2021 (UTC)
Closed - User was seeking advice on how to proceed with a project idea about standardising transcripts. After feedback they have decided to work on this as a personal project. It's always a pleasure to see new people join us with project ideas - best of luck with your editing and please let us know if you need any more help/advice :)10:29, 19 July 2021 (UTC)