Forum:The Related Communities widget
I've noticed that The RuneScape Wiki isn't using its 'Related Communities' widget on the left side of the page. I think it would be beneficial for the The RuneScape Wiki to link to some of the other RuneScape-related Wikis and Jagex-related Wikis using this widget. This would give a purpose to the widget which currently links to games that most RuneScapers don't play, and provide recognition for the less-used RuneScape & Jagex related Wikis.
The MediaWiki page that has to be edited in order to edit this information is MediaWiki:Monaco-related-communities.
I've gone ahead and made what I think should be in the Related Communities widget:
*http://runescapeclans.wikia.com/wiki/|The RuneScape Clans Wiki *http://unrunescape.wikia.com/wiki/|The UnRuneScape Wiki *http://runescapefanfiction.wikia.com/wiki/|The RuneScape Fan Fiction Wiki *http://darkrunescape.wikia.com/wiki/|The Dark RuneScape Wiki *http://funorb.wikia.com/wiki/|The FunOrb Wiki *http://mechscape.wikia.com/wiki/|The MechScape Wiki *http://mechscapeclans.wikia.com/wiki/|The MechScape Clans Wiki
- Note: These links take the user to invalid pages when visited from here, but they work correctly when placed into the MediaWiki:Monaco-related-communities page.
As you can see, this would make the Related Communities widget actually useful and would bring in new users to otherwise unknown and stale wikis. It would also be useful if any sysops from the wikis listed above also changed their MediaWiki:Monaco-related-communities page to link to these wikis.--
09:12, 22 March 2009 (UTC)
- How do you activate this widget? 09:36, 22 March 2009 (UTC)
- The widget should be on the left side of the Wiki, like in this person's screenshot, and to change it, do so by editing the data on MediaWiki:Monaco-related-communities, though only an admin can do that.-- 10:00, 22 March 2009 (UTC)
- Great, it's set now (you can see the Related Communities widget & list if you're logged out). Though, do we need the default list that comes with it (Entertainment, Games etc.)? I'd say no, as I don't think that particular list is very useful and I don't think anyone uses it, plus, it's cut off and one has to scroll down on it. Can we delete everything after 'MechScape Clans', to make the list shorter and cleaner? Regarding the Dark RuneScape Wiki, my opinion is to include all English Jagex-game-related wikis, especially RuneScape wikis, as it's a short list either way, and will inform users of which Jagex-game wikis do exist, so that these wikis will get more users to use them. UPDATE: I've just come across 6 additional RuneScape-related wikis, though 5 of these 6 have less than 10 articles and the 6th has less than 100. While the Dark RuneScape wiki has 200-something. Should, say, 100 or 200 articles be a limit to get to appear on this list (or only include the more noteworthy wikis?)? Anyways, these are the wikis: [[w:c:F2P-RuneScape]], [[w:c:RSMV]], [[w:c:RuneScapeGuilds]], [[w:c:RuneScapeTCG]], [[w:c:LastRepublic]], [[w:c:AeazenCombine]].
- A note about that particular widget, it seems that you can't get it back if you've closed it (the only way to see it will be to log out), though I've opened a thread on the Wikia Help forum here which may get this issue resolved in the future.-- 19:37, 24 March 2009 (UTC)