Forums: Yew Grove > Template:Watermarking
I propose a new template that combat watermarking images. The name is in the title, and its pretty straightforward. This also add images to [[:Category:Watermarking images]]. So, whaddaya think? Derilith 02:16, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- Is that the only image that is currently watermarked? If so why have a template? Who's going to replace the images? TEbuddy 02:22, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- I know this is just semantics and the end result is the same, but we do give credit to people who upload images. What is discouraged here is to "watermark" or otherwise indicate who created the image on the image itself (aka, the "watermark"). It isn't really dealing with the "why" of the watermarking, which is being done due to gross copyright violations between various fan websites.
- From a strictly legal viewpoint, I would also get rid of the "As always, images of RuneScape are a copyright of Jagex Ltd. (1999-2008)" This is noting that we are acknowledging that some of these images are being used in a flagrant violation of Jagex's copyright. I've written about this issue before, and it isn't an easy one to resolve, but something like this can come back and haunt us.
- Indeed, a great many of these images that are "watermarked" are hand drawn or generated by the person who uploaded the content, and for the most part have a much stronger copyright claim independent of Jagex than a great many other images that are mainly screen shots. Rather than discouraging this sort of effort, it ought to be encouraged (no so much the watermarking, but the independent creation of maps and player-submitted art). The warning message IMHO should be quite a bit more friendly in that regard. --Robert Horning 15:38, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- If you were referring to my comment then I think you misinterpreted, my main concern was having a template for a total of two images (now none). TEbuddy 16:37, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- I am not opposing this but just putting what I have found wrong with this: If all pictures are to be watermarked, of course it is time-consuming, how about GIFs, add the watermark every frame?
- Another problem, why arent we watermarking the pictures with Wikia logo, just like other fansites like Runeh*?
- One more point. This Wiki is called 'Runescape Wikia', undoubtedly all images are taken from the Runescape game, or else how are they be helpful for readers? So watermarking with Jagex should not be a matter. The origin for having plea on the Jagex copyright is that image makers are having too heavy concept of possession on their contributions.
- Okay, I come with some another way out. How about putting some thingy sort of "All images are taken from Runescape, the MMORPG by Jagex Ltd. (from 1999)." just below the Navigation bar used for linking to edit articles? XDRAGONAITE + 14:27, 27 July 2008 (UTC)