RuneScape's official SoundCloud account has a bunch of tracks on them that don't appear in-game. I think it'd be neat to have them on the wiki as well, but I wasn't sure what the consensus for this would be. My questions to the community are thus the following:
- Should we put up SoundCloud-exclusive tracks on the wiki? This would come down to only a page with a short description, a SoundCloud embed, and .
- If yes to one, would we also need a page of tracks that are SoundCloud-exclusive?
- In cases of medleys (mash-ups of other songs), would the medley get its own page with links to the featured songs, or would the medley be embedded separately per music track?
15:54, March 13, 2016 (UTC)
1 yes, 2 yes, 3 own page - As nominator.15:54, March 13, 2016 (UTC)
yes, no? just put it on Music or something, own -- 17:09, March 13, 2016 (UTC)
- Plan was to make something similar to List of free-to-play music, as to not clutter Music up with a significantly long list. Also saves the effort of moving it over if we ever decide it should get its own page after all. 20:45, March 14, 2016 (UTC)
yes, yes-ish, own - Point 2 could also be a list instead of seperate pages as suggested above, but since all music tracks have there own pages then why not these.08:40, March 15, 2016 (UTC)
sort of - We should have pages (with proper references) for exclusive tracks such as The Reaper's House instrumental, Webbed Feat remix or the RuneFest stuff, but a no for medleys. Those are just medleys of existing tracks and don't qualify as separate music tracks in their own right.12:39, March 15, 2016 (UTC)
If this goes through, I advise against simply embedding songs from Soundcloud. Because of the nature of Soundcloud, songs can be deleted at any moment by the user, and most accounts have a limit on how much audio may be uploaded at any one time. With this in mind, coupled with the fact that Soundcloud as a company has been on rocky waters the last several months, I strongly suggest that we would instead host the music here for our own archival and encyclopedic purposes. To be fair, I am not completely familiar with our current policies regarding audio copyright, but for the sake of the Wiki's encyclopedic endeavors I strongly suggest this. Chiafriend12Loon is best buttlord 02:53, March 16, 2016 (UTC)
- Rather than blindly wait for soundcloud to fail (if it does) and deal with the legal implications of re-hosting audio (we're still waiting on a response to a recent enquiry about our use of ingame tracks afaik), why not stick them on someone's dropbox so we have access to them if necessary? If Gaz is willing, I'd suggest his as it's already used for other wiki related things and he's one of the more stable and consistently active members of the community. cqm 19:28, 17 Mar 2016 (UTC) (UTC)
- Sure. I don't think that embedding dropbox files is a wise idea, but it'll be a publicly-viewable backup anyway.
- RunescapeSoundtrack doesn't have downloads enabled, but you can still grab the files if you're willing to dig through the dev console (like I do almost daily 7:^]).
00:17, March 18, 2016 (UTC)
- Sorry, I meant embed them from SoundCloud for now, but keep the backup there just in case we need it. If we end up needing a new host then we can either get permission from Jagex to have them on the wiki, or figure something else out instead. Either way, we can cross that bridge when we come to it. cqm 00:51, 18 Mar 2016 (UTC) (UTC)