Forum:Scan clue guide changes
User:Recive has been attempting to overhaul the Scan clue guide recently, with little success. There has been objection to the scale of the changes and how they've been implemented. Due to the popularity of the tt guides with the wider rs community, I thought it best to bring here to gain consensus on any massive scale changes to the page. Recive's idea was to put imagemaps showing the general world map location of each possible digging spot, with a gallery page of the exact location images.
The three options:
- Keep the page as it is.
- Use Recive's version, as seen here, with a gallery page (currently deleted) of the actual location images, with the minor change of splitting the gallery into sections corresponding to the map and putting the section links under each map on the main guide. Oh, and putting captions on the gallery.
- Combine the two versions - use the image maps in place of the current world maps, and put tables (standard wikitables or collapsible, with default collapsed) underneath with the exact location images and location details.
Support 3 - it seems like the best balance between Recive's idea and the way the page is now.09:49, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3 - The new maps look a lot better than the old one, and having the in-game images on the same pages makes it easier, as long as it is collapsed to reduce the length of the page.11:07, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3/4 - Perhaps someone could image-map Recive's maps and have the location indicated by the clue icon link to the image of that specific location as well?11:36, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
- Imagemapping them is a fairly straightforward thing to do, although I believe some of the locations are 'unconfirmed' as there is no picture of the location, merely reported locations. Assuming we label them so we can move them as the map becomes updated it shouldn't pose a problem. What might be a problem is what we link them to. The file page of the picture? I don't know of any way we can link them to a specific part of a page that isn't a header. cqm 11:47,2/8/2012 (UTC) (UTC)
- Edit: With the addition of four, I, as I said, think it is a good idea for the maps to be image-map'd to link to the file page (which, Cam, I think can just be done by putting a file page link in it instead of a mainspace link), but a table under every "collective map" as made by Recive is should also be present. 06:06, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3 - Placing maps of the scan clue locations would ultimately benefit people who are more visual, thus creating more convenience for those who might just want a map of possible locations, and for those who might want to see the map and in-game screenshot of the location. -- SpineTalk 12:40, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3 - While playing, it is far easier to quickly scan all locations when you can see them clearly on one map. I've always wanted to do something like this on the wiki if not for my own use but never got the time. I think if the current version is merged with what Receive is doing, the page would be much easier to use while doing clues. Talk 13:22, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3 - 'Nuff Said. MolMan 18:13, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
- You support 3, which is the compromise with your images and the current tables... but you don't want tables? 23:44, August 2, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3 - Those maps are useful, but they are too vague to be of use on their own. The tables combined with the map are the best solution as far as I can see. If this works, we may be able to make similar changes to the other clue scroll pages00:15, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
Support 3 - I'm not to fond on how the maps look right now, but they can always be improved. Hair 14:08, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - Recive edited this proposal to add in this:
"Use Recive's version, as seen here, with all the actual location images removed."
It was removed from the main proposal though as he pretty much rewrote it without consulting Ansela. So that is option 415:47, August 3, 2012 (UTC)
- Actually that was option 5, option 4 was the same but to image map the links to the actual image locations to the icons on the overview maps. 00:02, August 4, 2012 (UTC)
Grudgingly support 3 - Our scan pictures are so laughably bad and unprofessional that it's almost not worth having them. A number of them are awful JPEGs, many include the chatbox and inventory, they're poorly named, and there are numerous other problems with the pictures and the inconsistent text. Unfortunately, I agree with the above that they are necessary to give people a better idea of where they need to search. If the maps are included in the final version, perhaps someone can crop out the unnecessary parts of the scan images (i.e. everything except the location?) ʞooɔ 09:47, August 4, 2012 (UTC)
- We can always retake, it's not like the location changed (atleast not dramatically); just send a good image taker to the exact spot and replace the old POS images (yes, I fully agree they suck). MolMan 03:11, August 5, 2012 (UTC)
comment - different version of Recive's legend - background isn't horribly stretched, icons are distinct (without any resized hats), and each icon has its own accompanying text. All maps will have to be redone with the new icons, but it seems like they need reworking anyway. Criticism/ideas are welcome -- 03:05, August 5, 2012 (UTC)
- Looks nicer, much clearer. I also assume that legend is for use on the side? Because that's what I'd prefer. MolMan 03:11, August 5, 2012 (UTC)
- yep -- 03:32, August 5, 2012 (UTC)
Not a huge fan of the image used as a background on the legend. It looks all blurry/stretched around the edges. I much prefer what we use for the headers on maps, but I doubt it'd fit on there. cqm 09:45,5/8/2012 (UTC) (UTC)
- I like. I would prefer the hats to be Guthix green if possible. Is there a reason only the confirmed scan has a spade? Example of my level 3 image editing skills: Legend with green hats and another spade Also, how did you make your icon borders so nice and pretty? 15:55, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Personally I think just having the clue scroll and clue scroll+spade icons would be better. Whether or not you get a wizard at an elite location is apparently random, so marking a spot as having a wizard is pointless. And yes, I did check the locations that I got on my latest elite clue - not a single wizard/no wizard mark on Recive's map was correct. 23:47, August 6, 2012 (UTC)
Support 2 The maps are much better then seeing each each one separately, I may have to bookmark the deleted page I like it so much.14:04, August 7, 2012 (UTC)
Question? - What's the benefit of seeing the exact location shown in all the images? Once you're in range of the location the in-game arrow does the work for you. --Henneyj 16:37, August 10, 2012 (UTC)