Forum:Runescape Community Indexes
We had an amazing opportunity presented to us that I see our community throwing away through neglect and what I'd even call malpractice.
For most of the story, you need to [http://runescape.wikia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4432 visit the forum thread where this was originally introduced], and the YouTube video where User:Jek Nexus first made his offer to move this content to the wiki.
I know that he has become very frustrated with this wiki.... for what I call a good reason. He is new to this site, and isn't familiar with the policies and practices here. In addition, some very un-friendly attitudes have developed about trying to help new users in trying something just slightly different than the average quest walk-through or item article. I helped him out in starting the article at RuneScape:RuneScape Video-Making Channels, but that page has been subsequently moved to the user page space and subsequently ignored and forgotten. I think we can do better as a community, but the problem is trying to figure out where to put the contents of this page and to at least let folks coming to the wiki be able to know it exists.
I have considered that perhaps we could come up with a directory of Runescape related internet pages... sort of a wiki-editable version of the Open Directory Project that would be based here on the RS Wiki. This would include links to the various fan sites, information about Twitter and IRC channels, MySpace pages, blogs, and of course the various YouTube videos and those who are into Machima development. I could imagine other kinds of similar content from other sources as well that could be thrown into an index like this.
More to the point, this could be a very useful tool for the larger Runescape player community, but we need to allow them to even know these resources exist in the first place. Jek Nexus would be willing to do the donkey work here in terms of maintenance of this particular page about YouTube videos, but we could do a much better job of providing support for this and other similar kinds of projects. My question to the greater RS Wiki community is where do we go from here? Should we tell this unfortunate user to move along and take his project somewhere else or can we help him out and do something with it and make it perhaps part of a greater project? --Robert Horning 15:07, October 17, 2009 (UTC)
- While I do Support This idea for his project, I don't see how those other ideas would be benefitial. His is a user project that was already created and in full swing, we just provided space for it. Simply and blantly put, I approve about promoting his project, but am doubtful about others. Doucher4000******r4000 15:15, October 17, 2009 (UTC)
- We also have a hideous page right now with RuneScape:Links that seriously needs to be revised and expanded. There is also RuneScape#External_links and Community#External_links, together with a bunch of other dis-jointed pages that are all well meaning, but by themselves do a lousy job. This is what I'm talking about that needs to be brought together under a single project somehow, and some serious thought about how to organize all of these links to the greater Runescape player community ought to happen. What I'm suggesting is that these projects could be grouped together somehow and turned into a much more complete overall directory of Runescape-related information and commentary. --Robert Horning 17:18, October 17, 2009 (UTC)
Interesting idea... Gone. 16:11, October 17, 2009 (UTC)
- "My question to the greater RS Wiki community is where do we go from here? Should we tell this unfortunate user to move along and take his project somewhere else or can we help him out and do something with it and make it perhaps part of a greater project?" ... from above --Robert Horning 23:16, October 17, 2009 (UTC)
Support - I see no reason why we shouldn't help out community-minded users.18:34, October 18, 2009 (UTC)
Support - Has good potential. And, I'd like to extend my gratitude to Nexus. Thank you.
23:23, October 18, 2009 (UTC)
Support - Of course. I am a bit embarassed to say that I had trouble find the support thread for my own project. I am willing to do much of the information finding, although the editing so far has been a hassle...WHY does the image always disappear??? >.< Thank you RS wiki. I promise you if you branch out beyond where you are, you could become as powerful as Tip.It or Zybez. Fanpower can be an even greater resource than useful information, at times...02:21, October 21, 2009 (UTC)
- And if we have both...! Doucher4000******r4000 02:46, October 21, 2009 (UTC)
- Mhm... 05:05, October 21, 2009 (UTC)
- The two quotes I happened to have posted on the respective thread are "The problem with hosting it on Gaming Heavens, even though it's a great, um, gaming website, it's not exactly the best RuneScape website." and "especially if you're from the RuneScape Wiki and you're an admin over there". More or less, he was talking about the respective project proposed here, how it was held on another site, but wan't really a good choice to have it there since it wasn't a RuneScape-specific site. He made an offer for it to be hosted here to any administrators who were watching the video. Chiafriend12I have 12 friends. 23:42, December 19, 2009 (UTC)
Closed - There is consensus to provide support for the projects, but he seems to have forgotten about it since it was so long ago, so someone may wish to remind him. C.ChiamTalk 14:33, January 15, 2010 (UTC)