So, after a recent debate in the yew grove (Forum:Request for bot on Ajrbot/archive), it occurred to me how decentralized our information on maintenance bots is. When a user proposed a new bot idea, we had no way of figuring out weather the task was already being performed without going to each bot page, checking if the bot was active, and seeing what it does, (which Gaz was kind enough to do). I'm proposing that we add a centralized list of all our flagged bots, along with their function, their activity, and links to their vital statistics, bugs, etc. I've put together a mock-up in my sandbox for everyone to check out. I'm proposing adding the page I've created in my sandbox to the end of Runescape:Bots (or someone else if people feel that that should remain solely a policy page). I'm also proposing that we create subpages that log the activity history of each bot, along with copies of the bot's bug reports, like this mock-up.
- One-stop shopping. One page can tell you what bots are functional, and what functions they are performing or have performed.
- Logging of activity and bugs. Users can make more informed decisions about current or proposed bot tasks, for example some users might see about that was created in 2001 and assume that it's running fine, but the fact is it only ran from Jan 2001 to Feb 2001, and then Jan 2010 to Feb 2010. Also, people can check for past bugs that might pop up again if the bot operator is proposing a new task.
- Simplicity and organization. 'nuff said.
I threw these mock-up's together in about an hour based simply on the idea that I had, so please do not feel that these are the final versions of anything, and suggest changes as you see fit. --Aburnett (Talk) 23:36, March 7, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, but what I'm trying to do is condense all the information onto one page to simplify the process. Instead of going from userpage to userpage, you can get info on all our bots from one page. --Aburnett (Talk) 23:40, March 7, 2010 (UTC)
- Request for closure - seeing as this cannot be done, I guess this will have to be closed. </sarcasm> --Aburnett (Talk) 20:38, March 8, 2010 (UTC)
Support - Sounds good, and would be quite helpful. Maybe the Wikipedia format could be better, but he don't have as many bots as them, so there may not be a need to condense it that much. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 08:04, March 8, 2010 (UTC)
- That was pretty much my thought. I figured we could provide a more information-heavy format being that we have substantially fewer bots to add. --Aburnett (Talk) 20:38, March 8, 2010 (UTC)
Support/Comment - I agree that we need more information on bots kept in a centralised place on the wiki. I have tried to organise TLULbot's userpage in such a way that data can be easily transcluded. Part of that is because I'm obsessed with modularity, but it would make it easier to implement since the data could simply be transcluded, and would update when the information on the userpage updated. I'm a regular user and I approve this message.
Support - Why not?21:50, March 14, 2010 (UTC)