Forum:RuneScape Wiki Custom Videos
Hello Runescape Wiki!
Wikia is currently exploring ways of creating custom videos suited for different communities. We recently have partnered with various communities along the way like League of Legends, Ben10, Clash of Clans, and others and have created custom videos for their communities. We would like to see if RuneScape Wiki would like to work with Wikia in order to get some videos created for your communities. We definitely would love to hear your ideas. We would look to you as a community to make sure we create content you want to see. We look forward to hearing from you. :)
- I am not advocating, only informing. It seems Wikia has a (new?) way to embed videos streamed from other sites. The [[w:c:leagueoflegends:League of Legends|League of Legends wiki]] has a few at the bottom of its LoL page, such as [[w:c:leagueoflegends:File:League of Legends Cinematic A New Dawn|League of Legends Cinematic A New Dawn]]. It's a YouTube video, streamed from YouTube, but with a pointer uploaded to the File: namespace via [[w:c:leagueoflegends:Special:WikiaVideoAdd|Special:WikiaVideoAdd]]. --Saftzie (talk) 22:52, October 14, 2014 (UTC)
- It's nothing new, wikia have been embedding youtube videos on file ns pages for a while now. I've never come across any real benefit for us when we could track usage of youtube videos through the old tag and we still can through cqm 23:37, 14 Oct 2014 (UTC) (UTC) . The benefit for Wikia is that they get a bit more data on how videos are used. There are also various other sites videos can come from, but I don't think there's anything other than youtube that might have useful content for us.
Comment - I had a long conversation with User:Sarah Manley about what we might use videos for a while back, before she left Wikia. The vast majority of videos are found in user pages of which almost all, if not all, are unrelated to the wiki. The only videos that we do permit, that don't violate RS:NOT#HOST, are found on update ns pages. The only video that was ever uploaded to the wiki is used on an update page, but dates from a time before jagex uploaded things to youtube and embedded them in their news posts so was the only option available. The main sticking point was that if we did enable videos on the wiki, then what's stopping people from uploading ones for their user pages?
This issue was exacerbated by the forced changeover from youtube tags to File pages, hence the creation of the youtube template and it's associated script. This forced changeover also prompted measures to prevent anyone adding youtube tags to pages (as this is indiscriminately converted to a File page). Finally, we disabled the normal video upload methods following Forum:Video which summed up almost every argument about why videos in articles are a bad idea for this wiki. Unless someone has some bright new ideas? cqm 23:37, 14 Oct 2014 (UTC) (UTC)
Comment - Haven't we already discussed this? Maybe it was when I was a councilor way back when, I can't remember, but we determined that they would have no use on this wiki. 04:31, October 15, 2014 (UTC)
- Well, to be fair, it also seems like Wikia is asking us if we want their help to create videos for us, not that there's any reason for the answer to be different just because they made them (or arranged for them somehow) as opposed to a random editor. I suspect they're mostly trying to drum up business for [[w:c:video]]. --Saftzie (talk) 05:42, October 15, 2014 (UTC)
- I notified wikia about this in case they'd forgotten. Lets give them a little longer to respond before closing :) cqm 22:32, 21 Oct 2014 (UTC) (UTC)
Comment - Hello,
I apologize for my delayed response. I will certainly give you some examples of what we have done for some of our communities as well as some of the videos we have/will be featuring on Wikia with communities we’ve collaborated with.
Here are just a few examples of what we’ve worked on with some communities:
We created a series of beginner’s guides videos for the Clash of Clans Wiki as well as a series for Brave Frontier Wiki Page. We are also working with users from from League of Legends Wiki (Diamond N Bronze) to bring League of Legend content to the League of Legends Wiki. These are just a few examples of what we’re working on.
Someone mentioned, "I had a long conversation with User:Sarah Manley about what we might use videos for a while back, before she left Wikia. The vast majority of videos are found in user pages of which almost all, if not all, are unrelated to the wiki. “
This is correct. At the time unfortunately we did not have the assets nor the manpower to create custom videos for each wikia so it was difficult to align assets that would complement The Runescape Wiki. Now we have a team that would be willing to work hand in hand with the community to build customized videos on topics YOU the community would like to see guided by YOU.
"The main sticking point was that if we did enable videos on the wiki, then what's stopping people from uploading ones for their user pages?”
The videos we would potentially create for you would be displayed and featured on the Must Watch Videos module which regular users would not have access to modify. So they would not be able to add videos to their user pages. Also creating a good video policy would definitely help.
- But the reason why most videos are on userpages is because we don't want them elsewhere... It's not a matter of you haven't been able to help; it's a matter of videos provide nothing of value to us. MolMan 22:56, October 21, 2014 (UTC)
- What's the advantage to having a video explaining something rather than text with optional images? To use your links as examples, what's stopping us writing a beginners FAQ as a page? The page is much quicker to update when the game updates and likely quicker for our readers to access the information they want. We also have gif files for when we want to display animations when still images don't do the job. cqm 23:10, 21 Oct 2014 (UTC) (UTC)
Closed - per notice of intent above. If anyone wishes to suggest possible topics for videos or propose videos they've made for use on the wiki, they are free to create a new forum thread detailing such a proposal. cqm 00:12, 3 Nov 2014 (UTC) (UTC)