Forum:Requesting manager status on IRC
Since we don't have an Rf<whatever> page for IRC, I guess I'll post this here. I, Andorin Kato, would like to apply for manager status on #wikia-runescape.
For those of you who are less familiar with IRC terminology, here's a rundown:
On IRC, a channel operator (of which I am one) has the ability to mute users, kick and ban users from the channel, change the topic, and set a variety of options to aid in channel management. Operator status can be compared to adminship on the wiki- and indeed, since there is no formal procedure for becoming a channel operator, it is generally just given to regular IRC users who achieve a successful RfA on the wiki.
If a channel operator is like a sysop, then a channel manager is like a bureaucrat. Managers have all the powers of an operator in addition to the ability to adjust the various permissions that are given to other users (via the access list). Managers can, for example, add and remove operator status to and from users, much like a 'crat can add and remove sysop status from wiki users. Additionally, managers can access ChanServ functions that are restricted to manager-only, such as akick (an alternative to the standard banning feature).
Why am I applying for this? Because this is our list of managers:
- Sannse: If I've ever seen her in the channel, it's been about once or twice, so inactive
- Chicken7: Inactive
- ChristineV: Semi-inactive (is occasionally on)
- Karlis: Inactive
- wow: Inactive
- Endasil: Inactive
We could definitely use a new active manager or two, just in case. Like 'crats, they may not be needed very often, but they're still nice to have around.
Also, I'm applying for this because I'm reasonably competent with IRC and I'm frequently on (every day if I can). I would use manager status to adjust others' permissions (flags) as necessary, and to manage the akick command (our akick entries are really out of date). I may also update our channel entry message, though this is not especially important. Other than that, it would be the same as standard operator status.
Support - Andorin is very active in IRC, and I trust him completely. As he has said, our current managers are definitely not active, so this would definitely be beneficial. Suppa chuppa 22:56, June 6, 2011 (UTC)
Support - I leave IRC open nearly 24/7 when possible. Andorin is nearly always in there, and out of everyone in the channel, is likely the most mature and level-headed at all times. Ben RyfosTalk 08:02, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
Comment/Support - This is one of the topics that I would like to contribute my 2c regardless... Andorin will make a great manager as he is active, responsible and well-respected among the community. For the amount of time I spend on IRC (which is a lot), I would say Andorin and Cook_Me_Plox would both make great managers. Seeing as how Andorin is making the request, he deserve to have his request granted. As someone who stays on IRC 24/7, I shall let my logs comment on each of the managers listed above:
- Sannse: she is just there symbolically since her role is with the greater Wikia community not the RuneScape wiki in general. She has only joined the channel once this year (on Feb 26th), said "hihi" and "just testing" and immediately left.
- Chicken7: we all love Mr. Chicken and know how he used to be really active, but we also know he "quit". With that, he joined the channel 26 times this year with the last time being the end of April. Although, when he did join, he did talk a lot - 1585 lines, with the majority of those lines spoken in the first quarter of the year.
- ChristineV: Andorin's assessment is correct, she joined a total of 80 times since the beginning of 2011 on 27 individual days and spoke a total of 2031 lines. Considering it's June already, this doesn't amount to a lot.
- Karlis: it is true that when Karlis is on RuneScape, it is fairly easy to get him on IRC to do something if it is urgent. However, having said that, he only joined the channel 23 times this year, with the last time being March 26th. Although, when he did join, he actively talked quite a bit.
- wow: I have never seen this person and apparently ChanServ has not seen them since Dec 13th last year. It appears that they last joined the channel on May 17th 2010 when they stayed in the channel for almost nine hours but did not speak.
- Endasil: Similar to wow, ChanServ has not seen them since Oct 27th 2010. The last time they joined the channel was Oct 21st 2010, with three joins recorded for the entire 2010.
In contrast, Andorin has spoken almost 20,000 lines this year and is here almost everyday, so in conclusion, he would make a great active manager who would be able to attend to peoples' needs promptly. P.S. I will make sure the sig link is pointless next time. ;) ~Aeri 09:46, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
- I can confirm that this is Aeriana (who could make this a million times easier and just make an account >_>) and I've linked her sig like Degen asked. - [Pharos] 09:52, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
- AMG CHIKKIN UR BACK @@@@@@ *ties chikkin to his chair so he can't leave his computer anymore*
- Yey I heard you will never leave us again JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 10:58, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
- and he never runs around and deserts his hair bad_fetustalk 18:41, June 8, 2011 (UTC)
Notice of intent - Consensus is pretty clear here, if nobody else has anything to say I'll get cluck cluck to close this (more likely Karlis, but I felt like saying cluck cluck :3). Rooster7 (cluck) 23:06, June 10, 2011 (UTC)