Forum:Request for bot flag on CookBot
I, Cook Me Plox, am requesting a bot flag for CookBot to carry out the work put forth in Forum:Userbox Proposal, which has been passed. The bot (using AutoWikiBrowser) would move Userbox templates to under the Template:Userbox/ area. See the aforementioned thread for more information on the function. I would like to add that you should not oppose the bot flag based on opposition to the userbox proposal, because that has been passed. This is only for a flag to make the necessary edits (and moves) hidden from the RecentChanges. As I have mentioned, the bot will use AWB, and will use this method:
- Look at the templates in the Userbox templates category and for each one use What transcludes page (all NS) and What links here (all NS) to make a list of all of the pages that use, or link to that template. I will do this for all of the templates in the category.
- I will move all of the userbox templates to the appropriate place under Template:Userbox. Having a bot flag allows me to move many pages without getting throttled.
- Using AWB's find & replace function, I will have it find the current template (i.e. "Anti fluffy bunny") and replace it with the new one that I have moved it to (i.e. Userbox/Anti fluffy bunny). I will do this for all of the templates.
- I will start the bot, and it will perform the functions above. As AWB is semi-automated, I will review each edit before saving. This assures that no malfunctions are done.
There are approximately 600 moves to be made and an estimated 5000 edits to the userspace to be made. Having a bot flag for CookBot benefits everyone. If this is done without a bot flag, on Cook Me Plox, it will clog up the RecentChanges to no end, and the move log as well. In addition, I can move all of the templates quickly, instead of being "throttled", which could make this a long process.
The bot will not run continuously, but only when I am online, as I have to monitor it. The entire process should not take more than three days, and about 4-5 hours of actual editing and moving.
- Yes sir right away sir. ʞooɔ 20:28, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
Support- I be stealin` Aj`s cookehz. Coelacanth0794 20:33, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
- nooo, they mai [email protected]@@ ajr 20:35, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
- Ah must eet dem Coelacanth0794 20:35, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
Support - I love the reasons that have been given so far....22:52, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
Totally It just makes sense, will get this task done quickly.--Degenret01 22:53, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
Support - Per above. There are no reasons why this shouldn't happen. Suppa chuppa 22:57, June 21, 2010 (UTC)
Support - I don't see why we need to discuss this. There is a task that needs to be done, and it's common sense that the one doing the task have a bot flag due to the massive number of edits it will require. Discussing this, to me, is an example of bureaucratic inefficiency. 15:47, June 22, 2010 (UTC)
Support - CookBot is 4 monks not 4 [email protected] In all seriousness I see no reason to really oppose this, this is a mass work load, which is, quite frankly, what bots are for and with a mass move like this comes a use for at least a temporary bot. fetus is my son and I love him. 23:35, June 22, 2010 (UTC)
Support - Per Jim, but it's 42 monkfish. I'm a regular user and I approve this message.
Support - Many edits will be needed and this user is responsible and knowledgeable enough to run a bot account. I want to note that User:QBot is providing a small amount of assistance with this particular task. --Quarenon Talk 02:20, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
Support - I can't see a reason not to.07:46, June 24, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - RS:SNOW anyone. 06:53, June 25, 2010 (UTC)
Protection - With that could someone add protection. (Also I don't think it's a waste of time, you were trying to do a task. No matter what happened, you made an effort, which is what counts.) HaloTalk 20:21, June 26, 2010 (UTC)