Forum:Replace "merchanting" with more appropriate words.
This Yew Grove topic is specifically to propose to replace "merchanting" with more appropriate words, such as "trading", "GE trading", "price manipulation", and other economy related terms, with two very specific exclusions: (1) as where it relates to referring to "merchanting" itself in the slang listing, or (2): in the clan listing under "price manipulation clans" as part of this sentence: These second generation price-manipulation clans (commonly called "merchanting", or "merching") are significantly different than their predecessors.
I have wanted to do this, but was prevented from doing so by certain editors and admins because (imo, grossly incorrectly) they didn't think it was on the same level as that of a spelling mistake.
So, since I am forced to do this in order to change these articles, and because I want to improve the wiki, I am making this post.
"Support": You support changing the wording in the articles to match the intent of the article by replacing "merchanting" with a more appropriate word.
"Oppose": You oppose, and you want to keep the wording in these articles as it stands.
--Agamemnus 07:58, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Support - as nominator. :-| --Agamemnus 08:00, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Support Weak support - It is the correct terminology and thus should be used. An official term is always better than slang, and would improve the professionalism of the Wiki. However, I do not like the alternatives provided as they do not appear to be able to pass on the "effects" of merchanting, as a result, I support this in theory, but not in practice. I also thank you for going down the correct channels to try and implement this change, instead of before. 222 talk 08:11, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- "I do not like the alternatives provided as they do not appear to be able to pass on the "effects" of merchanting". Please explain what you mean.--Agamemnus 22:20, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Oppose - First, how is this different than your last thread? Secondly, I'll just post what I said there because it's the exact same subject.
- The word "merchanting", however illogical and made up, is accepted as a word by the RuneScape population. Who cares if it's made up? People use it and you're not going to be able to stop them from doing so. Anyway, "Player-to-player trading" and "Grand Exchange trading" don't have the same meaning as "merchanting". ʞooɔ 08:21, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- (1) It (the thread) is different, because the intent is different.
- (2) Again (and you didn't reply there either) how is it that you "oppose", when you are actually saying the exact same thing I am saying?: '"Player-to-player trading" and "Grand Exchange trading" don't have the same meaning as "merchanting"'--Agamemnus 22:19, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Oppose - While it is true that they are price manipulators...they are commonly referred to as merchanters, which makes it more understandable for our readers. (When we use terms that are common knowledge). HaloTalk 18:37, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- (1): "merchnters", huh?
- (2): Did you even read my thread? Even assuming you are correct, and even assuming that "merchanting" is actually a word in the English dictionary (it is not), did you completely gloss over the fact that these articles that I posted do not all refer to price manipulation? I am really tired of repeating myself.--Agamemnus 22:22, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- And (3): None of these articles mean "merchanting" to be "price manipulation".--Agamemnus 22:26, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Oppose - Per Halo, nobody would rather read "second generation price manipulation clan" as opposed to "merch clan", and I for one would look at the "more appropriate" version and think, "What the @#!? does that mean?" Real Nub 19:52, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- So you propose that we design the rs wiki for idiots now, who don't know what "price manipulation", "trading", and "flipping", mean?--Agamemnus 22:19, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- So people are idiots for not knowing what a certain term means in a different context then its real world meaning? --jakezing 22:28, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Oppose - Making a new thread while the old one is still up and running isn't going to help anything at all. I see it as ridiculous that you would put up two identical threads. I'd even suggest just shutting this one right now, but I won't due to my involvement in the other near twin thread. Chaos Monk Talk • Sign 20:34, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
- This is different than the last thread.--Agamemnus 22:19, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Oppose On grounds of most of the above.--jakezing 22:28, October 20, 2010 (UTC)
Closed - This topic is already under discussion on a different thread. I consider making another thread on the same topic, for the sole reason of hoping it will pass this time to be gaming the system. After reviewing both sides of the argument, I see no reason to remove something which is admittedly not a word, but is recognised by the RuneScape community. As a wiki, we should be striving for efficiency of passing on knowledge, and having more complex phrases for that would be counter-productive. ajr 22:57, October 20, 2010 (UTC)