This has been on my mind for a couple of months now. I've brought it up in a couple of discussions with people but ultimately I decided to wait and see if anything changed.
Yeah, it didn't.
RuneScape:To do list used to be great. Its aim was for users to post large (or not so large) tasks that they want or need a hand completing. Editors would of course respond and help. It was more than adequately active and it used to work very well.
But alas, what goes up must come down. Or something... RS:TODO has become dead. Really dead. The last edit that was actually productive was by Thebrains222 on 10 February. The only two edits since then have been maintenance. Also, some of these requests have been sitting there for 10 and a half months. That's almost as old as my account on the wiki.
The way I see it, there are three things we can do.
- Kill it. We could archive it like we did with RuneScape:Editor Review/Archive and have it preserved in wiki history forever. Or we could just outright delete it.
- Revive it. We could advertise it more and clean it up, make it more appealing, etc..
And of course, we could do absolutely nothing and let it just sit there and rot.
Comment - I'm inclined to support merging it's functions into User help, as it is much more viewed, and recently has been used as a location for similar requests (albeit, on a smaller scale). Attempting to "revive" TODO will - in my opinion - simply lead to a short-term increase in activity, before everything drops back down to the previous level. 222 talk 02:13, June 13, 2011 (UTC)
- That works too. Matt (t) 03:48, June 13, 2011 (UTC)
- I think that would be best. Lately I've noticed when we try to take on a new project or improve existing ones that have to do with wiki improvements, they quickly die/stay dead. 03:57, June 13, 2011 (UTC)
Revive (or leave it) - The todo list can be very helpful, and used to be very helpful. Maybe we can promote it by introducing a new format and adding interaction with it from the Community Portal or something. I don't think merging with User Help would be beneficial, as that is used for users needing help with something specific or have questions. Todo list is there for projects that need to be completed, and may take quite a bit of effort. I would presume the "active user number deficiency situation" (AUNDS) we're having is causing users to never attempt major projects, as they would simply die due to the lack of support. I personally (along with Brains and some others) know how AUNDS meant that the large Portals project have been making slow progress since beginning. Chicken7 >talk 10:00, June 13, 2011 (UTC)
Leave it for now - I believe that when the other editors are out of school, the wikia's activity will increase, so there will be more need for it. But if we delete it, then when it's needed, it'd be found missing and there'd be a frustrating time for people trying to find a list of things to do. Otherwise, we could try advertising it around a little more or remembering to put things on it (adding a link in the sitenotice, maybe?) Coelacanth0794 Talk 21:18, June 15, 2011 (UTC)
- "the wikia's activity" Did you just call us the RuneScape wikia? *Gets knife* Matt (t) 21:19, June 15, 2011 (UTC)
Leave it - I think it's a good idea. However, I've been with the wiki forever and didn't even know it was there. Maybe we could publicize it on the main page or sitenitice or something? That would make it worth the effort.
Slight Proposal - If nobody objects I could add it to MediaWiki:Recentchangestext to publicize it a bit more. Just to try some publicity while we're deciding it's fate. ɳex undique 19:55, June 16, 2011 (UTC)
- Go ahead. Matt (t) 06:13, June 17, 2011 (UTC)
- Unfortunately it breaks Community into 2 lines, I'm not sure people will like it too much ɳex undique 15:27, June 17, 2011 (UTC)