I want to start a project to make a page (form, template, whatever you want to call it) where a player can enter their RSN and the form will pull their stats from the highscores, and use the Quest API, then compare:
(If a quest is complete, it will omit it from the following lists)
- If the player can start the quest, it will list it in a table with a link to the quest guide, under the heading ==Eligible to Start==
- If the player cannot start a quest, due to skill requirements alone, it will list it under the heading ==Uneligible Due to Skills==
- If a player cannot start a quest, due to quest requirements alone, it will list it under the heading ==Uneligible Due to Quests==
- If a player cannot start a quest due to both skill and quest requirements, it will list it under the heading ==Uneligible Due to Quest and Skill Requirements==
The tables will show what quests are needed, and provide a quest tree like you can access in quest guides, so that a player can look through the quests they need to complete in order to start a certain quest.
They will also list skill requirements to start quests. Optional/recomended skills will not be listed. Nor will it list any minigames needed to start quests, such as the requirement to have played at least one game of Pest Control to start Quiet Before the Swarm. I would like to include optional skills and minigame requirements, but as there aren't many quests that need minigames, I feel like, for now, that is beyond the scope of my idea.
I'd need help from more experienced Wiki editors, especially in terms of pulling stats and quests from the API, as I'm not exactly sure how to do that easily... I can do it but the code would be stupidly complex.
21:22, March 2, 2017 (UTC)
- As with other RuneScape API requests, anything we host here requires a proxy to look it up. Current examples are the Hiscores and GE APIs, for a code example of the latter have a look at getData in MediaWiki:Gadget-exchangeCreate.js. The JS isn't too tricky, most of this should be deciding how you want the UI to look. cqm 08:03, 4 Mar 2017 (UTC) (UTC)
SupportHave no idea how java script work tho.02:32, March 6, 2017 (UTC)
Uhm... Isn't this the exact same thing as can be seen in-game by using the filters on your quest log? The idea I'm getting from this thread is that this would be a useful calculator, but if it's just as easily seen in-game then it's not that useful actually. And if this is cool to have on your userpage, then I don't think we need a forum thread to do this. JOEYTJE50TALK pull my finger 21:38, March 6, 2017 (UTC)
- yeah the filters are nice, but can you see every quest in a series before you can start, for example, plague's end? Nor can you (currently) click on text in the quest log to open up the relevant quest/skill/minigame guide, which is the main thing i want the tracker to do; make it easier to see what you have to do, and how best to do it. Having had a chat with User:Salix of Prifddinas, i might scale back the idea to specific grand master quests with long lists of requirements. As i said to him; "i don't think anyone's ever wondered which quest is before cook's assistant"
21:46, March 6, 2017 (UTC)
- Mfw Nyx can't spell Prifddinas :( (fixed it :P) 22:03, March 6, 2017 (UTC)
- @Joeytje, it's not something to put on a userpage, it's for general use. Kinda a calculator, but not exactly :P 22:04, March 6, 2017 (UTC)
Closed - Discussion has died down, and it seems that more advice is not going to be forthcoming. There's general support for the project, which can probably be done under RS:BB anyways. Interested users can coordinate amongst themselves. --LiquidTalk 20:08, March 11, 2017 (UTC)