Forum:Proposed important changes to the CC
I dislike there being so many topics about the clan chat in the Yew Grove, so I was a little apprehensive to write this, but it is important. I believe there needs to be some changes about the CC. I've got 2 on my mind now, but I'll add more as it comes to mind.
- We are nearly at the limit of clan chat ranks (I think it is 90+/100), and we have had a flow of requests for a rank, which is good I guess. There have been some complaints/comments about prolonged periods of the time in the CC where there are no ranked users. Instead of considering times, we just re-opened the requests only to receive 16+ requests in like a day. Now I do not want to be racist or discriminatory, so please do not take offense. The American time zones are already well covered with ranks, sometimes receiving up to and over 10 at a time. This is great, and we never seem to have no-rank problems in that time zone. But the worry is the time zone that AUS/NZ/UK ranks are supposed to cover. I cannot give you a UTC. A very normal time of having 0 ranks is 10pm my time (UTC+10). That converts to about 11am GMT. This time zone is poorly covered by ranks. By then, most/all Americans should be asleep, because it converts to some wild time in the morning. Getting to the point, most of our rank requests are by Americans. Although they have proven to be great, trusted players, we have no need for new ones in their timezone at this current time. We don't want to run out of space for ranks, and then still have that period of time unmonitored. What are your thoughts on this?
- Now the CC is very popular among our members, with some not editing the wiki but still attending the cc regularly for a chat. I find a major problem is the sheer number of topics about the cc in the Yew Grove. This forum is a place for important discussions about the wiki. We constantly receive topics here about "Ohhh, lets ban so-and-so from the cc" or "Ohhh, the admins are abusing their powers" or "Ohhh, let's ban political conversations from the cc" or whatever. I think that we need to stop the conversations leaking from the clan chat channel to here. There are a few alternatives.
- a. Sort it out in the channel. What happens in the channel, stays in the channel.
- b. Create an alternate discussion page for the cc, kind of like what was done with Facebook. See the Facebook discussion page linked at RS:OS.
- c. Use the Wiki forums for discussion, although I think that is a bad idea.
- d. other ideas
If we were to ban CC discussions from the Y.G, I'd recommend adding it to the "Previously discussed proposals" or whatever that thing is. Although, major announcements, such as a change to the name of the clan chat or something should still be allowed.
Support - I'll explain it tomorrow when i'm less tired07:17, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
Support - I think that these are all good ideas. However, where would we go for community consensus for banning users from the CC, if such drastic action is needed?07:18, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Reply - There are many users who do not use the cc, so there are no need for them to see the discussions. An example of a discussion page specifically for an off-site expansion can be found [[RuneScape talk:Off-site/Facebook|here for Facebook]]. Or else a subpage of RuneScape:Clan Chat even. If you are frequent in the cc, it'll probably become as important as the YG, or else the discussions there will be discussed in the channel too. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 07:22, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
Supporting comment - While I agree that those time zones are the ones in which the requests for ranks was reopened (heck I nominated myself due to noticing it was opened and seeing a lack of ranks sometimes when I'm in chat) some American could be helpful depending on what times they play at. I know Degen plays fairly early at times. My point of course is just make sure that the players are on in useful times before ranking. fetus is my son and I love him. 07:31, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Reply - Although it is kind of what I wrote, I'm not really against Americans requesting, but Americans requesting who'll just be on the same time as the other 10 billion ranks. If you like to be on at 4am, that's good and I'll support. Chicken7 >talk 07:33, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
Support- I completely agree. Infact, I agree so much that I encouraged you to write this in the first place. Nicely done, Chicken. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Synkk (talk). 07:36, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
Comment To any who would say "that is discrimination, all editors are equal so all requests must be treated as equal" I will say that Rank is no big deal and the needs of the clan chat are greater than evryone having an equal chance at rank. This is about keeping the cc the correct type of place it shoud be. That needs to be the primary focus here. Period.--Degenret01 07:41, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
Support - As per all10:30, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
Support - RS:AEAE would be an issue here, but in order to keep the clan chat enjoyable and safe we need ranks in every time zone. 14:14, February 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Reply - I think they're getting in the way of important wiki discussions. Look at the current list. We do not get that many topics about any other Off-Site feature and we never did with the IRC when that was the kingpin (most popular). A separate page to discuss minor changes or problems should be created, as the YG is about the wiki, not the CC. Chicken7 >talk 07:02, February 2, 2010 (UTC)
- Reply - There are many users who only go in the clan chat channel and don't edit the wiki. Those users will probably frequent this new discussion page, and although it may lose attention from some users, those are users who probably don't even ever go in the channel. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 04:57, February 3, 2010 (UTC)
Question: How do you actually check whether a person is from a given time zone? Checkuser isn't really all that accurate (it only gives an IP address, which is not an accurate indicator of location). Butterman62 (talk) 23:46, February 2, 2010 (UTC)
- Reply - I am unsure how we would confirm where a user is, only by their word. Even if some users from the respective timezones apply, we should of course still treat it as a normal request and oppose if need be. If a user lies and tricks us (we would find out by a slip up in game or something), there rank could/should be removed and they shouldn't/wouldn't be considered in the future. If a player is in a wrong timezone and wants to apply, they should just wait; eventually the USA ranks will become inactive and we will need new ones. Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 04:57, February 3, 2010 (UTC)
Support - 1) Trying to add ranks based on timezone availability seems like a sensible solution to keeping the CC well monitored. 2) Moving the CC discussions out of Yew Grove might help decrease some of the wiki drama that sometimes stems from these discussion. Personally I don't think they belong on forums and having them somewhere under RS:CC or RS:OS seems logical to me.08:05, February 3, 2010 (UTC)
Support 1, Oppose 2 - There aren't that many of those discussions you were talking about here. They're not "getting in the way of important wiki discussions." Those other discussions are still there. Moving them to the wiki forums is a bad idea; it isn't used by everyone. And on the Clan Chat, there would be no community consensus. It's fine keeping those discussions here. C Teng talk 02:24, February 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Reply - Not to the wiki forums, but to its own discussion page, separate from the YG. Many wiki users do not frequent the clan chat, and they only want to check discussions the concern the wiki. Users who are frequenters of the cc, users who maybe don't edit the wiki, will check the separate page as that is the discussions that concern them. Chicken7 >talk 02:35, February 4, 2010 (UTC)
Comment - I think the first thing we should do is unrank all inactive ranks, that may clear up plenty of space. Gone. 21:31, February 5, 2010 (UTC)
- Comment - Yeah.. Half of the 'crats/admins haven't made an edit in over a year >_> FredeTalk 21:35, February 5, 2010 (UTC)
- Two weeks after you where banned. However, that's unrealated from the nature of this thread. 17:29, February 9, 2010 (UTC)
Support the unranking of inactive users - I counted the ranked names list, and I see at least 40 names that can be unranked because of lack of activity.--Cheers,19:20, February 11, 2010 (UTC)
Request for closure - C Teng is removing inactive users. This appears to be over.08:30, February 13, 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose closure - That is a temporary solution. As the wiki grows and grows, we will have more active cc ranks. Then, we will have this problem again with unranked and over-ranked time zones. For now, I guess if we remove doubles and inactives and add the new ranks I would let it pass. But in future, it could pose a problem. And what of my second point about making a separate page for CC discussions? Cheers, Chicken7 >talk 10:31, February 13, 2010 (UTC)
Closed - Discussion is at a stand still. Temporarily, there is more space in the cc's friend list. No changes to CC threads on the YG will be made at this time. Chicken7 >talk 03:03, April 11, 2010 (UTC)