Forum:Proposed changes to the Main Page in regards to Events Team
While going over changing events on the Events team page I realised how rarely the page is accessed and how hard it is to get to from the main page, being that the only link to it is the one hyperlink under community which is shown from the page analytics here:
The reasons for my proposal are to bring awareness to the events team through use of the main page in order to help community awareness of the events team, to hopefully bring more people to events, increase popularity and variety of events and even bring in some new eager hosts that want to give back to the community.
Proposal 1 Add a section similar to the Yew grove template on the front page for the events hosted with team announcements included in the template.
Proposal 2 Reuse some of the older "Recent Updates" boxes in order to advertise weekly events
Any other good suggestions/proposals I'd love to add to this page, thanks for reading.
Support 1 - as nominator. 21:49, 14 March 2021 (UTC)
- Support 1 with tweaks - Per Star below, The side panel being high enough on the page with colour associated with the ET is a good compromise between both proposals. 18:54, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
Question - What would the timeframe for how long it is up for be for option 2? I prefer this option, but not if it's up for too long of a time.21:53, 14 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - If anything it'd be from the end of Friday till the Sundays end event due to events usually being done on the weekends.
02:55, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Im happy to support proposal 2 if this timeframe is adopted. 13:13, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
Support 1, is there more we can do? - I am unaware of the event schedule, and have always found out after the fact. Would love to get more visibility to the schedule. Is there a way to leverage the Notifications feature so that users could get notified when a new event is organized? Finally, is there a way we can utilize Discord more? Maybe have a channel for events, or @mention for an event role that users can opt into. Sir Veylantz (talk) 06:29, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- The role already exists and is used for events. As for the channel, we used to have one, however it was very dead and saw basically zero use. 13:13, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
Support 1, Oppose 2 - I think a new template is better than using a slot of the recent updates. I would also put it higher up in the page. Since things are gonna be there for a short time it should have more visibility.11:38, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- This is kind of what I had in mind when I mentioned it on discord some weeks ago.
12:37, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - I'd support this change if it had a small image too :wowee:
13:53, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - Would love something like this on the page, especially as high as it is. 14:19, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
- Not the biggest fan of this design exactly, but I like where it's going with compacted relevant information (although would probably want to be slightly more specific, looks kind of vague as to what 'RobbotRS' means here), in a highly visible place. Currently it takes up too much room, with a lot of wasted space for 'Coming soon' - even if this was filled out with events, it would take away focus from the immediate upcoming events. Some colour variety would also be nice 15:53, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
- Not a fan of this. Events shouldn't be the first thing on the main page. 05:40, 21 March 2021 (UTC)
- I agree that they shouldn't be the first on the page, however, I feel that if users need to scroll down the page to see it, that it wont get as much attention if it were in main view upon loading the page. 20:03, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - I'd support this change if it had a small image too :wowee:
Support 1 - Merds makes a good point about using a new template for temporary events. Perhaps something like we had during dxp that sat above the recent changes?13:30, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - That'd be the site wide notice, it's been used before for wikifest, which is the large spike seen in the page visit results above. I think that's usually reserved for larger events/notices. 17:20, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
Support 1, Oppose 2 - Per Merds. Also agree it should be higher up on the page.01:32, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
Support either - If 1, I'd move it above the announcement module at least as it should hopefully get more frequent updates. If it's empty, then it'd be good to hide it. If 2, I don't object to it not being time boxed, but I'd like to see it get some kind of marker so it's more easily identified as a non-game update which that area traditionally is. Something like a slightly different colour, a border, a little icon in a top corner, etc. would be enough for me. cqm talk 07:31, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
Oppose 2 - I think it's a good idea to give space on the main page to promote events, however recent updates are one of the more useful components on the main page for users in my opinion. I don't want to see the space given to recent updates reduced, and I think any space given to promoting events should come below recent updates on the page. I think it would be a good idea if this replaced something else to avoid the main page being too cluttered (just something that isn't the recent updates box).
I think a more permanent space might work better than something that is only around very close to an event. You have a more informed opinion than me but I'm guessing the audience for events is more casual players? If that's the case then "a few days before an event" might not give enough time for them to be around to notice the announcement and plan to attend. Also agree that something eye-catching rather than another plain text box would be nice - we used to have Category:Events Team banners to promote events. Something with pretty graphics would be nice - but I know that User:Iiii I I I might not be able to help with this any more.
Another thing we used to do was put events into the clan noticeboard - I'm not sure if that's been superseded by events being put on the in-game calendar or if it just stopped because you don't have access to it? If it's the second reason and you'd like to try and use that system again I'm happy to help by inputting the events on the noticeboard. Once they're on there it looks like you can send a broadcast about an event to all the people in a clan (and I'm sure clan admins would be able to press that button when you wanted them to). I would guess that a lot of event attendees may come from the clan so could be helpful to you.14:37, 17 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - Would love something eye catching and you're right about the people turning up to the events are mostly casual. From what I gathered, the banners are mainly used on the specific boss event page and those are more rarely visited than the ET page itself. I guess we could use this more permanent space to link to those specific pages which I've been wanting to touch up and update fully anyways.
- In regards to the clan broadcast I usually give 2 personal calls in cc when the event starts as I'm a regular guest meaning I can't use the clan noticeboard, but it would be great if those were sent as an announcement in cc rather than my personal calls. 19:39, 17 March 2021 (UTC)
Support 1 / Oppose 2 - I do think the events team needs better exposure, now that things are being done again, and agree that it's own template is best. I do like Merd's suggestion, although I'd move it to below the updates and possibly the Equipment, bestiary etc tiles, and they should somehow be visually grouped with a title (linking to ET page). I think it should always be there and just show the next X events per Iso.08:14, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
Support 1 with tweaks - While I don't necessarily oppose option 2, it seems like it would be a lot more work to be adding and removing ET events for a couple days of visibility, and so having our own permanent slot on the main page is much more preferable. However, I think some sort of coloured tile (purple?) on the right column (above featured images?) would be good, with space for both relevant ET news and upcoming events - this would make it stand out a bit more from the mass of text on the left column. Might be nice if there's a little space for simplified graphics of the banners we used to do, too.15:53, 18 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - I think a purple coloured tile on the right side showcasing the next event and having our announcements there would be a compromise of having ET on the front page along with not disturbing the front page too much. The only downside would be having to scroll to see it, which if you're not on the front page for specifically that means most people wouldn't scroll at all in my opinion.
20:03, 22 March 2021 (UTC)
- Comment - Event team events are a social type of activity, so it makes the most sense to me have it grouped with the other social panels, Discord and Twitter. To make it the most prominent (and hopefully noticed by people who don't scroll), you could place Events at the top of the three. - F-Lambda (talk) 05:17, 24 March 2021 (UTC)
Closed - there is consensus to implement proposal 1. There is agreement that the ET should have a spot on the mainpage to advertise upcoming events. While the original proposal was for a temporary spot, there is an agreement that the ET spot should be a permanent feature of the page. There is not consensus that this spot should replace some of the section used to feature recent game updates (proposal 2), and the consensus is for the ET spot to come below this section on the main page. I am closing this thread now this has been decided in the hopes that the exact implementation can be agreed through informal discussion of ideas.14:29, 6 April 2021 (UTC)