Forum:Proposed calculators landing page
Hey, so as some of you know, I've been working on a new calculators landing page recently, and I'm happy to announce that it's in a state for testing. The current plan is to have this moved to the mainspace by double xp weekend if possible, and to keep it open for testing following this forum post.
To view the proposed page, place
@import url("/w/User:Sahima_Badir/Calculators/style.css?action=raw&ctype=text/css"); in your common.css file and head over to User:Sahima Badir/Calculators
Currently planned features and known problems can be found at the top of the page.
Things that have changed
- Calculator subsections have been placed in multiple columns to condense the height of the page, as have the individual calculators
- Calculator titles have been renamed to be more descriptive. The goal is to keep them short and snappy, but never at the expense of being informative
- You have my permission to freely edit any titles, calculator descriptions, or icon choices you feel could be better
- For ease of scanning
- Calculator subsections are now colour coded
- Icons have been placed next to individual calculators
- Calculator type is now denoted by an icon in the upper right. The current subcategories are: xp, profit, cost, combat.
- Calculator titles now have keywords in bold
Calculator subsections are to be moved to Calculators/_Skill_, and the calculators are to be moved to Calculators/_Skill_/_Calculator_. This is to facilitate in-game commands such as /wiki Calculators/Herblore I feel this may be breaking usual convention, so this is open for discussion, the main points are: Subsections should have their own page, for ease of /wiki'ing
- All calculators should follow the same convention. For example, Calculator:Agility/Training and Calculator:Agility/Silverhawk feathers as opposed to Calculator:Agility and Calculator:Silverhawk boots. This may be better left to another YG post to establish a proper policy on the matter.
Edit and Edit Source buttons are no longer present, if anyone knows how to fix this, that'd be brilliantFixed Subsections now have icons that can be clicked to navigate to that subsections's dedicated pageNo need for this with the edit buttons
- Specific calculators:
Things that haven't changed
- Almost all of the calculator descriptions have remained the same
- Calculator subsections are still the same, though I'd like to split the Other section up since right now it's a rather bloated catch-all. (This will likely be post-release)
All feedback is welcome, but in particular:
- Stylistic decisions to ensure it's inline with the rest of the Wiki's style
- Technical problems such as things rendering incorrectly on certain browsers. Any bug reports should include your browser, list of extensions, any other custom stylesheets you may be using, and if relevant, how to reproduce the problem.
- Any other opinions about things and stuff like the proposed naming convention for calculators
Comment - Looks good, but idk if I'm sold on the order. I think alphabetical left-to-right would make more sense than top-to-bottom. I'd prefer Calculators stay in their own namespace, due to differences between them and mainspace content. Though, if it's a bit hassle, I don't mind too much if they were to be moved. Having a more clear distinction between calculators for profit and costs would be nice, though I have no suggestions for that. also Support to rfding the Constitution calculator. Nericat (talk) 19:30, 24 July 2019 (UTC)
- PS pls fix ur invalid self-closing HTML tags in User:Sahima Badir/Calculators/Tile/Item they are littering the category Nericat (talk) 22:19, 24 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hey Neri, thanks for the feedback 🙂 I did initially try left to right; top to bottom, but with the tiles being different heights, it wasn't possible to order them without having huge gaps in the page. That leaves three options to explore:
- Option A Have a single column, prioritising order over brevity (if you'd like to try this one out, reducing your browser width will condense it to a single column)
- Option B Have dynamic columns, but have the tiles at a fixed height regardless of content, prioritising order and brevity, but at the expense of aesthetics
- Option C Keep the top-bottom; left-right layout, prioritising all three, but at the expense of readability
(I'll get a screenshot of Option B tomorrow morning)(okay, this turned out to be a lot of work for a discontinued layout, so I'm afraid I have no screenshots, but the design has since changed significantly)
- Re keeping calculators in their own namespace, I'll normalise the convention to the naming convention already used by a few of the calculators (e.g. Calculator:Construction/Flatpacks)
- Definitely agree on the distinction between cost and profit 😄 I'll continue looking for a better cost icon - Sahima (Talk) 23:28, 24 July 2019 (UTC)
Comment - It definitely looks nicer than the current set up the contents section being part of the main page and the icon explanation could both be moved above. Could there be a way to sort by the 4 icons at the top? I personally prefer it in 1 column, but could it be so that Agility is one column but the individual calculators within it be in 3 columns? Also would it be possible to minimise say for example to combat calculators?
- Hey, thanks for the feedback, I've since moved the TOC to the beginning of the page, and collapsable sections is now on the todo list. The icon explanation is currently hidden but I'll add it back to the page once I make a start on the dynamic features such as filtering by calculator type, as suggested. - Sahima (Talk) 16:54, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
Comment - Looks amazing! I have a few nitpicks though:
- First, some nitpicking about icon choices
- Some icons look bad at that size (mostly spell icons like Superheat Item and Water Surge), though in a lot of cases there's no obvious replacement either. Maybe shrinking those icons a little would be the way to go?
- The bleed calculator's icon is a bit misleading since blood blitz isn't a bleed
- The icons for the two compost-related calcs feel a bit too similar - maybe the supercompost making calculator could use a compost bin instead?
- You're linking to Calculator:Magic twice.
- I'm not sure what you mean by the edit and edit source buttons being gone - I can see the edit button just fine?
- The tile header for the Magic calculators features a dark blue hat on a dark blue background, which makes the icon hard to see. Could the background be made lighter?
- It's not obvious that the tile header icons are clickable when the tile titles themselves aren't. Is there a reason why those aren't also links?
- The tile header icons being to the right of the calc type icons makes things look misaligned and not in a great way in my opinion. I'd like to increase the right-padding to 1.125em (and maybe increase the left-padding on the title text to something like 1.625em too to compensate)
- 21:15, 1 August 2019 (UTC)
Comment - There's a lot going on on the page at a glance, and I question how easy it is to navigate. The TOC is handy enough for navigation, so why is it condensed down so much? It'd also be nice to see a way to filter based on the 4 types/categories you've defined.
Some more concrete concerns:
- I don't know why you're proposing to move calculators to the mainspace when calculators aren't content. I agree with standardising the names, but why not use redirects to facilitate /wiki commands if that's even something we know is causing problems now? This seems to be a manufactured problem without any evidence of people hitting this issue.
- The icons are largely full-sized and being made smaller with CSS. Please make them the correct size as makes page loads faster to only load the size you really need.
- Unfinished potion icon is a bit hard to see what it is when it's not hovered over.
- It looks a bit weird when the calculator titles span multiple lines and the text below them is indented to a greater level.
- With regards to the first point, you're literally reverting the decision made in Forum:Calculatorspace. cqm talk 09:05, 4 August 2019 (UTC)
- Hey, thanks for the feedback:
- I've fixed the indentation of multi-line titles so that subsequent lines are given a padding in-between that of the first line of the title and the description.
- Navigation and information density have been commonly cited issues, so it's something I'm actively working on. I'll be giving users the ability to filter by calculator type and also specify a preferred layout (including a one-column layout for those who prefer it as it is).
- Regarding the renaming of calculators, I've struck the original example out and will be looking into better ways to communicate /wiki commands.
- I'll make an icon for Unfinished potions that looks a bit more obvious. For now, it's low on the list, but I'll be doing that and a few other icons before I move everything to the mainspace.
- Icons were originally thumbnailing at 72px, which has since been corrected to 44px. I don't think it should have been loading full-size images. Are you able to recreate the problem? - Sahima (Talk) 16:54, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
- Hey, thanks for the feedback:
Comment - Did you get rid of or never add the navigation in the table? Was there a reason? If nothing else assuming the actual page won't have text at the top I'd make the navigation multi columns, hidden or collapsed to start. Second point, what about having the skills collapsed, similar to OSWF with just the name and icon visible (clicking on them expands to show the calculators)? It would make the page significantly shorter, make it easy to navigate, and effectively remove the need for the navigation at the top. 10:00, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
- Hey Elessar, I did add your TOC tile (and subsequently the icon key) to the list, but I've since moved them to the top of the page because of feedback here. I'm planning to place the text which is at the bottom of the current page to the top of the new one. I forgot to add collapsing frames to the list of planned features, so I'll see what it's like with all the sections auto-collapsed - never thought of that! - Sahima (Talk) 16:54, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
Closed - Sahima has closed the thread and implemented feedback into Forum:Consensus on calculator landing page, where a proposal has been made and a specific closure should be reached by consensus. Haidro 19:11, 7 October 2019 (UTC)