After a brief discussion on Discord, I'd like to get ahead of the curve in regards to the upcoming Player-owned farm expansion Ranch Out of Time, in regards to page names and navboxes.
My first proposal is about the page names of the animals and the suffix for them. The naming is subject to change, but my main point is that I want them to be separate. Options include:
A. Have all old and new PoF animals suffixes under Animal (Player-owned farm).
B. Separate all new PoF animals to Animal (Ranch Out of Time) and old animals to Animal (Manor Farm).
My second proposal is whether or not the new animals should have a separate navbox to the PoF one considering the PoF is already very cluttered.
A. Yes, separate navboxes.
B. No, keep it all in one navbox.
Pls don't choose option E22:27, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
B and A - To avoid any possible confusion, I think it's best to keep it all separate. It's similar content, however PoF is so bloated already and I'd rather keep it separate.22:27, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
E - fuck you kelsey (but fr, also
B and A) 22:33, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
- I stand by 2A but now I don't know what i want for 1 because manor farm suffix is kinda gross but also it's nice to have things separate. possibly leaning towards all with same suffix even though i don't really want that either
00:05, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
- 1A (manor farm) lame and (farming) lame 02:05, 17 October 2019 (UTC)
Comment - Is it The Ranch Out of Time or just Ranch Out of Time? The abbreviation after all is ROoT, not TROoT. :P22:45, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
- I don't think I've heard it being called TROoT anywhere, so I assume the the is left out. 22:47, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
E - :Wowee:
B and A makes sense although it's all player-owned farm in the end, but indeed separate farms once the update hits. 22:45, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
- A and A per Elessar2, just append
(Player-owned farm)to the page names when necessary instead of making it location-dependent. As for splitting up the navbox, keep the common PoF stuff on the PoF navbox, split off Manor Farm specific animals and other stuff to a Manor Farm navbox and split off the Ranch Out of Time stuff to a Ranch Out of Time navbox. It was confirmed by Mod Raven that the farm on Anachronia is called Ranch Out of Time. 10:28, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
- Same with the player-owned farm page itself by the way, split it per location where necessary and keep the general stuff on there. If necessary point to the location specific stuff from player-owned farm to the location's page, e.g. Manor Farm (or probably Farming Guild) and Ranch Out of Time. 10:30, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
1B/2A - But shouldn't we calling the 1st iteration of POF animals "Animal (Manor Farm)" then? "Player-owned farms" will now become too general. Haidro 23:00, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
:"Player-owned farm" is a term very set into the community, and changing it all to "Manor Farm" would cause a whole lot more confusion than anything else.
- Also, is it confirmed that you can't grow Manor Farm animals at the Ranch Out of Time?
23:03, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
- My idea would be to make "Player-owned farm" a very general page outlining the mechanics of a POF (breeding, traits, etc) which then links to the two current POFs in the game ("Manor Farm" and "Ranch out of Time"). Those two pages would then have the discrete details like experience gained per animals, rewards, etc.
- I don't think there'd be any confusion at all with the individual pages because redirects can solve that problem - no one actually searches "Chinchompa (Player-owned farm)" Haidro 23:16, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
Amendment - I've changed the wording and options of the first proposal, so please re-vote or whatever accordingly.23:24, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
🅱 -00:11, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
- Also 🅰️ for the second proposal 08:13, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
Don't call the animals (Manor Farm) - Nobody has ever (or will ever) call them this -- there have been roughly 50 total Google searches ever for "manor farm <something>", and about 200,000 for pof/player-owned farm <something>. I think there's an open question about how to name the new creatures, and whether (Player-owned farm) is a reasonable designation. Based on the (admittedly minimal) Google data we have so far, I think people are still referring to this content as Player-owned farms much more often than they refer to it as "ROoT" or "Ranch Out of Time" or any similar variation. For that reason, I suggest we keep both the existing batch 1 pages and the upcoming Anachronia pages disambiguated as (Player-owned farm), rather than referring to the specific farm they are used on. I don't think we're in any rush, but we can reevaluate as we get more data about what the players are saying.
A and A* - Keep animals with Animal (Player-owned farm) names and split navboxes into POF, Manor Farm, and ROoT (or whatever the actual place is named), where pages would have pof and the appropriate location navboxes.
- I don't think it's necessary to disambiguate which farm of the pof that animals belong to in the name. Furthermore as Cook mentioned people are more likely to search for a pof animal than a manor farm animal or something else. If you do some google searches I've pretty much only been able to find people referencing the animals (new and existing) as pof animals and not root/manor farm etc. Admittedly, as was mentioned in Discord, Farming would be the more correct and consistent (with regards to content on the rest of the wiki) suffix but I don't think that's a good move. Furthermore it makes sense to have the suffix reflect the skill/mechanic they belong too, and not the physical location, firstly you can get an unchecked egg from a dragon in any number of locations, and secondly if it's by location why not have it as Dragon (Large Manor Farm pen)?
- As for splitting nav boxes, the existing one is already huge and bloated. I'd propose splitting and adding a pof one. Such that pages would have the POF one and then the appropriate location one. The pof nav box would have pages that apply to both (most likely rewards, mush/food, honeycomb etc) while the other two have the pages that apply to the specific location (animals, npcs, objects etc).
- Obviously the actual pof, Manor Farm, and Ranch Out of Time (or whatever it's name ends up being) should reflect this. I'd be inclined to have quick guides for both locations (subpages to the page) but keep a quick guide on the pof page, that applies to both (depending on the length). 09:00, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
1C/2A - Big oppose on the (Manor Farm)/(Ranch Out of Time) option, realistically I agree with something Gaz said in the Discord, appending them all with (Farming) instead like we do with farmable Trees. We don't specify Elder Tree (Prifddinas) so why would we have the location as the modifier, these animals are glorified trees at the end of the day and the Skill they're associated with is Farming. If push comes to shove I'd prefer (Farming) > (Player-owned Farms) > (Player-owned Farm) > (Manor Farm/Ranch Out of Time). Agree on splitting the Navbox but not just splitting it based on ROoT and Manor Farm, I'd say splitting animals either into a sub/collapsed navbox or its own navbox, I don't really care which so long as the Navbox is cleaned up a little as it's currently way too large and unwieldy for actual use as its primary function, Navigation.09:35, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
Comment I don't think giving them a seperate name is worth to be honest. as far as i can tell, the community is still classing ti as POF content, an expansion rather than new content. Rhysy4056 (talk) 12:16, 17 October 2019 (UTC)