Forum:Parsonsda Using a Bot
I need Permission from lots of people to use a bot on site this will make this wikia better, i already got permission from:
so may i use abot?
• scans million of pages and only stop at errors
• Check for Spelling mistakes
• helps me find pages that need to be edited badly
• more editing for me less searching
Question - What does this bot do?22:46, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - What does this bot do? Why do we need it? Why have you asked those two users but not the rest? No-one rules this wiki (RS:AEAE, RS:NOT#BUREAUCRACY). Please answer these questions. Oil4 Talk 10:39, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- Not to mention that they didn't give you any permission (they told you that it was the community that decides, not them). Keep in mind that if you're going to propose a bot on the YG, you should have thought of the purpose of the bot beforehand. C.ChiamTalk 10:44, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - Parsonsda, you have no idea what you're talking about...! You just want a bot cuz it's cool. Santa. 15:08, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
Neutral leaning towards oppose - As Hapi said above, you just want a bot because you want to look cool. First of all, I think you should have information about what the bot is going to do and why would the wiki benefit from it? Lastly, You need to have community decide, not only 2 users. Remember: All editors are equal and no-one owns this wiki, The only person who has full control over the wiki is probably the founder Liam - Beta Tester (talk) 16:21, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- Not even Merovingian has full power over the wiki. AFAIK, he only has crat tools. I'd say the only people who have full control over our wikis are the people who own the servers Oil4 Talk 16:59, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- <edit conflict> Merovingian (the founder) is a bureaucrat, and hence has the same tools as the other bureaucrats. The only people who have "total control" are Wikia's staff. 17:01, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- Merovingian has the same tools as any bureaucrat and possesses no special powers, if he were to come back today he'd still be on par with the user who signed up yesterday or the admin who has been here for three years. Rswfan your use of RS:AEAE in that statement is extremely ironic. Also, staff have self-imposed limitations to prevent abuse, hence 'total control' is only invoked if there is a serious need for it. (i.e. the shut down of UnRuneScape wiki)-- 18:09, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- Aaaaaand back on topic, Leaning towards oppose/Comment - Parsonsda, do you have any knowledge of bots or programming? What do you want a bot for? ~ Sentry Telos Talk 18:46, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - The purpose of this bot is not clear, and I am not convinced your know what your doing. A bot that checks for spelling mistakes is possible, but bots are not made to do all of the things that you mentioned. We don't need this bot.19:39, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
Oppose - Why?
• scans million of pages and only stop at errors -> what kinds of errors?
• Check for Spelling mistakes -> most are already fixed, or can be done manually
• more editing for me less searching -> Eh?
Strong oppose - Parsonsda you have not demonstrated responsibility or good judgment recently. I think you know what I'm referring to. Furthermore from the way you have posted here, you have not demonstrated that you even fully understand the concept of a bot. You also don't have a good knowledge of our policies, for instance you're still signing using an untemplated signature despite numerous requests to use one. I don't trust you one bit to run a program which can alter thousands of pages a day.02:50, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
Strong support - Take a look at the proposer's contributions. His supposed "bot" actually works. You'll be impressed, I know I was. He says it was done using AWB, Auto Wiki Bot, I think. Works quite well if I may say so myself! Another thing to note is that it actually corrects spelling mistakes on-the-spot, and lets the user check beforehand to see if everything is satisfactory. This has a chance for almost zero malfunctioning errors whatsoever. It's unique from most other spellcheck bots.
I think why people are disliking this man's notion so much is due to his improvised use of English. If this man's first tongue was English, then most of you wouldn't harbor such deterrent feelings. This is utmost discrimination. --Fruit.Smoothie 05:42, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
- Actually, this man's first tongue is English. But take for example his RFA, which is a good example of that he just wants more power. So he will become... famous. . 06:55, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
i can use the program
- And I assume you mean AutoWikiBrowser by 'the program'. 19:13, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- edit conflictHow do articles "need help"? Oil4 Talk 19:14, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
- articles need help by just looking for damages or spellings mistakes easy as that.
- Editors can do that, we don't need bots to do everything. Why did you make a new section for this? 22:46, December 9, 2009 (UTC)
SUPPORT - I'm sort of starting to like this guy. --Fruit.Smoothie 05:08, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
Request for Closure
Is there even a chance per Snowball clause that this is ever, ever going to pass? Is there any point to it? Before you say "But it was only created a little while ago...", read what this user has posted for reasons to have a bot. Clearly he/she just wants to "...be kool and have like, a bot on a, like important place...". To the user: If you really want a bot, please post very specific specifications, like these: Forum:Moving 500+ Exchange_pages and GEMH images#Moving_500.2B_Exchange_pages_and_GEMH_images Hello71 02:43, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
- Just to be super majorly extremely fair and open minded, give him a day to respond to all the opposes. We always have to let people respond and discuss. If he can't come up with anything that makes sense in a day or so, this will be closed then.--Degenret01 03:19, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
Strongly deny - He's a good guy with good intentions. Give him some time. Suggestion: A bot source code would be nice though, if you would choose to be so kind as to release one to the public. PsychoRobot's request...DENIED
=D --Fruit.Smoothie 04:54, December 10, 2009 (UTC)
it was a good try
it was a good try , ill try again soon by the was i don't use codes i use autowiki4600 it a auto scanner anway maby i should give it more time see what else it can do thanks again, and i hope to be a bot in the near future. -- Parsonsda Talk | Sign Here 08:25, December 10, 2009 (UTC)