Forum:Now, What the ****!
- It was an accident, Wikia is working to disable it, as it accidentally went global. Until they can disable globally I mentioned our wiki as to one to disable it on in the meantime. - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 03:57, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
[23:51:22] <toughpigs> the infolinks extension got imported for a very small test we're doing for a couple wikis that have agreed to it [23:51:45] <toughpigs> unfortunately -- it didn't get turned off for all the wikis, so here it is, way different than we wanted it [23:52:03] <toughpigs> yeah -- it was supposed to be imported and turned off siteiwde [23:52:07] <toughpigs> no full rollout.
- The links are coming courtesy of InfoLinks, an ad server. I know because I researched it a little just the other day. If you use Firefox, install the NoScript plugin to disallow scripts by default, and mark the InfoLinks domain as untrusted. This will mean that you will never know the ads are there, but most of our visitors will see them fully functioning. Personally I think it is absolutely unacceptable for these to stay. Leevclarke talk 04:03, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
Wow. Those links = gf relevance.04:05, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
>_< wait, what did I just do to this page. I clicked save after I typed my message, someone interrupted my save because they saved it while i edited, but i saved again anyway. wait... one sec, think i just repeated a bunch of text. --04:13, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
- Now that the cat's out of the bag, are these types of ads something we might expect Wikia to actually roll out to all wikis in the future? I assume we can't opt out of the existing banner ads, so I don't anticipate these text ads as being a "volunteer" based ad system going forward. --Quarenon Talk 04:14, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
- If they do implement these green ads... That'd be horrible. Riot anyone? -- 04:16, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
- In the last few weeks Wikia has actually reduced the number of ads per page and this is one of their experiments to find better methods of ad revenue, but it accidentally got rolled out globally instead of a few test wikis. - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 04:17, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
- Oh great this is going like bulbapedia >.< (but its from kontera) 04:22, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
Comment - People really need to understand the reality of the situation, Jagex will not look down on us because of ads generated randomly by advertising programs. We are very good about keeping ourselves totally inline with Jagex policy, in fact we are cleaner than most other fansites who ARE on the dang list. TEbuddy 10:55, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
WTH? We can't be advertising RS cheating sites! I never saw those links,but I had better not see them.......--
17:59, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
Ugh, this will not be a good thing at all if they are planning on putting this on. Especially since it will be mixed into all of our content, which could confuse people thinking we are trying to link to a scam site.22:50, 7 July 2009 (UTC)