Forum:Moving 500+ Exchange pages and GEMH images
Moving 500+ Exchange pages and GEMH images
On 9 November 2009 in Update:Champions' Challenge Update and Hairstyles, Jagex decided to rename a "large number of items with parentheses after their names" so that now these items had spaces before the parentheses. The items affected are mostly potions, jewellery with charges, trimmed armour, and poisoned weapons. For example, Agility potion(4) is now Agility potion (4), and Black full helm(t) is now Black full helm (t).
The reason by given by Jagex for the change is "for consistency and easier searching on the Grand Exchange". I did a check and came up with about ~500 items which had their name changed. A large number indeed! But somehow they managed to miss 21 items which still do not have spaces before the parentheses.
So, to move the Exchange pages and its GEMH images, I'm going to use AzBot. However, I'm going to run Task 5b in full-auto mode. Previously, in Task 5, I moved about 400 pages/files in semi-auto mode. In this mode, I had to confirm each move/edit manually. But now, moving over 1000 pages/items would be too much for me if AzBot is set on semi-auto. Based on my rough estimate, the task would take about 18 hours if the speed is 1 minute/move/edit. I just cannot imagine clicking "Confirm" every 1 minute for 18 hours!
Task 5b will be similar to Task 5. The bot will move the Exchange page and its GEMH image, and replace old item name with the new one by editing the Exchange page ("Item" parameter) and the File description page. AzBot only malfunctioned once (or twice) on its previous move task, but that was because someone had already moved the item to its new name before AzBot did, so it got confused and stopped working...
Questions for the community
- If it is possible, would it be okay if the Exchange namespace's move permission is locked while AzBot is running?
- This is to prevent users from moving the Exchange pages when AzBot is active, and the move permission would be restricted to sysops. I checked Special:Protectsite but the "move protection" thing only applies to the entire wiki, so I don't know if this is even possible.
- This step is only just a precaution, and is most probably unnecessary. But since I won't be monitoring all of the moves and edits, I just like to be on the safe side.
- If people object to this, then it's okay.
- Can you help me?
- This project is really huge, and therefore we would require several volunteers to help clear the Wanted Pages and Wanted Files when the task is complete.
- A few users helped me with the previous task, and I deeply appreciate their help, but this task is so enormous so I would require more wikians to actively help out with this "project".
Clearing the Wanteds
As most of the items are usually redirects (i.e. Agility potion(4) and Agility potion(3) both point to Agility potion article), most of these items can simply be redirected. So, Agility potion (4) and Agility potion (3) should be redirected to Agility potion. In some cases, the article needs to be moved to a new location. For example, Black full helm(t) should be moved to Black full helm (t).
In both cases, the infobox in the article needs to be edited. The values in the "name" (and if some cases, "exchange") parameter(s) need to be edited to reflect the new in-game name. This step is to clear the GEMH images from the Wanted Files, and to fix any references to the old Exchange page. If there are any navboxes in the article, the links have to be edited as well.
Any references to the old item name (article links, normal text, etc.) within the article should be edited as well, but this is not really necessary at the moment. That would be a future task for AzBot.
Well, that's it. I hope my opening post isn't too long... I'll be quite free till mid-December, so hopefully, we will be able to finish this task by then.20:37, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
Support - Of course I'll pitch in. 500+ items does sound like a challenge, but really it isn't that big of a deal. Many hands make light work, and I do have an idea for how much effort this can be. Hopefully most of it will be simply renaming pages rather than creating whole new ones.... which I'll remind the community that any user who has been registered for more than 4 days can also do. This does not require any administrator privileges to help out on this project. --Robert Horning 00:16, November 29, 2009 (UTC)
Support I think its great, announce when it starts so we can start checking wanted pages at that time. --Degenret01 00:48, November 29, 2009 (UTC)
Support - Awesome. I'll help out where needed.15:11, November 29, 2009 (UTC)
Support, willing to help - Everything looks good. I'm happy to help clear the wanted pages if I have access to a computer. I'm a regular user and I approve this message.
Support - Great! I'm in. --00:31, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Comment - AzBot will be starting the move task soon, and I've modified the sitenotice for this task. An advance thanks to those who would be helping out in this project. You can start checking Special:WantedFiles and Special:WantedPages starting tomorrow, 7 December 2009 (Monday) to clear out the red links due to the moves. 08:04, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
- Task completed. Yay! It took roughly 11 hours to complete, which is waaaay less than the 18 hours I had estimated. 19:05, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
- *Robotic monotone* - ACCESS GRANTED --Fruit.Smoothie 07:03, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Comment Good luck to everyone contributing to the move! I myself will not be helping, i shall leave this task to the veteran Runewikians. --Mr Zaros357 18:48, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
Closed - Task completed.14:23, December 15, 2009 (UTC)