Forum:Monster input questions
I'm just curious as to some aspects of adding data to the Bestiary.
First off, about the Experience field in the infobox.... It's just HP*4, isn't it? If not, what part of the experience should we be looking at? Focused? Controlled? For Player's HP? HP+focused xp?
- Generally yes, i believe it's xp*4 - What I normally do is record how much exp I get in a certain skill (eg defence) and multiply by 1.25 - that does the trick --Eucarya 08:35, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
And the "Other drops" field.... Is that even necessary? It's almost always "See article", since there's just too much to put in there.
- Not necessarily, in the case of say, rabbit, it only drops bones and it can also drop a rabbit bone for the rag and bone man quest. Same with fever spider (drops nothing, very occasionally drops kwuarm). --Eucarya 08:35, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
- Can still be in the article, though. As I look at it. Few monsters drop just one item, and I think it makes it more unified. Not to mention that for all the cases that it just says See article, it just makes it look obsolete. -- Avian Maid 09:05, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
And what about when there's more than one instance of the monster? Like zombies, who have several different levels, some of which are larger and may, or may not have an axe in their hand, and drop different kinds of items at different levels. Just glomp them all into one, make different articles, or make different sections on the same page, like is being discussed in the Granularity Policy discussion? -- Avian Maid 06:44, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
- This is slightly harder. For example, I think you'd have different articles if they have different drops. Desert lizard is one article, however this policy is not consistent, Wolf for example, has several pages. Skeleton should probably be several different pages. --Eucarya 08:35, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
- Not all monsters' experience is hp*4 - although I personally think the experience and slayer experience fields are a bit useless...Slayer experience is always the same as HP experience, and for those few monsters who don't give the normal combat experience that can just be noted in the article. (Quest monsters, monsters in the abyss, etc.)
- True.... I hadn't thought of that. Like the Abyss monsters. Still, even with that point made, isn't it rare enough that it could be a special note on the monster's page? I'm still not sure it neccessarily needs its own field, per ce. In the rare instance the XP gathered is lower, could just say "Fighting this monster yields less than normal exp". -- Avian Maid 09:05, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
- I agree with the Other Drops field thing, I was gonna mention that sometime.
- When there's more than one instance, we put all the similar ones into the same article, only separating them if there is enough of a difference, I think. But we've not really got any working examples of this as yet, so this could change... JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 07:42, 7 October 2006 (UTC)
- Well, I mentioned it cuz I was working on the Zombie article. There's like 7 different levels of zombies, and different levels drop different objects and inhabit different places. Some of them look different, too. And, as Eucarya mentioned, Skeletons too. I was just seeing what you guys thought. For now I just mashed them. When I get a chance, I'll spread them out. -- Avian Maid 09:05, 7 October 2006 (UTC)