I had contacted TyA in a mutual IRC channel a few nights ago, I actually believe he had told you guys that I was going to create a forum.
Anyways, since RuneScape Wiki is quite a large wiki at almost 20k pages, you guys get a lot of traffic. On behalf of the Monobook Wiki crew, this is a forum to inquire on whether or not you guys would like a Monobook Theme. Our portfolio can be viewed [[w:c:monobook:Monobook Wiki:Portfolio|here]]. You'll also find themes that I personally have made on one of my Community Central [[w:c:c:User:Jäzzi/Themes|subpages]]. You can also view the themes that [[w:c:c:User:Godisme|Godisme]] has made on his [[w:c:monobook:User:Godisme|Monobook Wiki]] userpage.
I know I haven't made the best point as to why you guys should accept this offer for a Monobook theme, I'm actually pretty bad at getting points across. But yeah, if you'd like a theme, just let us know. Jazzi 22:48, April 5, 2012 (UTC)
Support idea - Have you any ideas of how it would look? Would it be similar to our Wikia theme and work with our Main Page layout? 00:38, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
- If it doesn't work with the main page, it is possible to change the colors (and possibly design) through the personal or monobook css. Hair 12:33, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
Weak support - Seeing as the option for using Monobook is there, might as well have a proper skin for it, although I'm not entirely convinced how much it would be used and it seems a little pointless creating a skin for a handful of editors to use. If there is genuine interest which produces a fair amount of use for the proposed skin, then I'll go along with the proposal. cqm talk 00:46, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
Why not - Being that the only monobook theme I know of is [[RuneScape:Theme/Skins#Carbon (Monobook)]], I don't see how it would hurt to have another one, especially if you guys are willing to make one for us. --Aburnett (Talk) 00:46, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
- I'm fine with the current rune logo. 04:54, April 7, 2012 (UTC)
Oppose - Did you all just forget we have the [[MediaWiki:Gadget-Roundtheme.css|Round theme]] as seen here (It's a mock image with a few differences from what it looks like)? No support as we have that. Ryan PM 02:49, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
Sure, why not More skins is more better, right? I honestly don't see the problem if these guys want to make us a few skins. I say let them go ahead, as long as the results are good. -- Cycloneblaze (user - talk - contribs) 09:07, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
- I can't guarantee that I know how it would look, but it will be similar to the Wikia theme and will work with the Main Page layout as best we can make it. I will put the main page contents onto my test wiki's main page to make sure it looks nice with the main page.
- It's completely understandable being iffy on whether or not to make a theme for a skin not many use.
- I'll try my best with the logo that you give us. Don't know if you want the current one or the one you've linked.
- Understandable. It appears the round theme isn't similar to the Wikia theme, which is what this theme would be.
- We will use the current background that is on the site. However, since it is a Wikia background, it has the middle cut out, so if you could possibly find an image that would work with monobook, that would be great. If not, I'll find a way to work with it.
- Apologies on the confusion of how to respond to the forum. Jazzi 11:22, April 6, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - I'm afraid I don't understand what you're proposing. Do you want to change the default theme to a custom monobook theme or do you want to simply offer an optional custom theme which would be displayed on [[RuneScape:Theme/Skins]]? If it's the former, I'd have to see a proper proposal of exactly what is planned before I'd support. If it's the latter, then I support, as it would be opt-in only (though admittedly, not many people even know [[RuneScape:Theme/Skins]] even exists). I would definitely be in favour of a good monobook theme if a suiting one can be created; the Wikia theme is horrid. Personally, however, I'll only use the default theme of the wiki myself, as that way formatting will be taking into aspect the majority of viewers (something that formats well in the very wide content area of monobook could overlap and have breaks in the 660px width of the Wikia theme). Hofmic Talk 01:59, April 7, 2012 (UTC)
- Well, I can't say where it'll go. If you guys would like it to be default, that'd be great. If it'll just go in /Skins, that's fine too. Whichever works works for us. Jazzi 02:14, April 7, 2012 (UTC)
- Support not-default by default - And to emphasis on that confusing support, I'll currently support just adding it to [[RuneScape:Theme/Skins]], but I am open to replacing the default theme (as per the aforementioned "Wikia sucks") if the theme is "sufficiently good", though we'd need to see a completed theme before we could even discuss such a proposal. Hofmic Talk 05:26, April 7, 2012 (UTC)
Support - Lots of people, including me, use Monobook. They might want a theme too. Support as long as the plain white one remains, of course!04:54, April 7, 2012 (UTC)
Support - Quite a lot of people use Monobook as stated ^, and thus I think there should be a theme. Neitiznot ▸ Choose OptionMy userpage Talk to me! Spam goes here Sign here! 12:34, April 7, 2012 (UTC)
Notice - I've contacted the Monobook Wiki crew telling them that we're interested in having a theme made. I'm going to leave this open for a place for them to leave comments and any other things that need to be discussed. 03:42, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
Let me clarify a few things. We are just offering to make you guys a skin which benefits us both, you guys get a skin, we get to say we made a skin for a big active wiki such as this. We will make it and what you guys decide to do with it is fine, whether you want to add it to your skin page or make it default is up to you, we are just the designers. That said, now that we are going through with this. What is it you guys want in terms of colors? Also, would you want a more curved look with borders or a squared look? We want to make this look how you want it so toss around some ideas and we'll see what we can do. God Pray 03:55, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - I'm afraid I'm not quite creative enough to offer any great ideas for a color/picture scheme. However, I would personally prefer a square/angular design as opposed to a round/curved design. As long as it's relevant to the wiki's subject matter (dragons/medieval/etc..) I doubt you can go too wrong. Hopefully others will come along and be able to provide consensus on a better suggestion for the overall design.05:26, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - If possible, do you guys think you could provide a background? I'll try working with the Oasis background the best I can, but I can't guarantee a great success. --Jazzi 16:50, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - I added a split as the discussion has moved on from approving the idea of the skin to what we want from it.
For the colours I'd probably suggest using the brown colour-scheme we use normally (currently we're green for easter). Does anyone have a list of the colours we use handy? I don't personally use monobook, so I'm not sure what the limitations of the background might be. cqm talk 18:12, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - If possibly, do you guys think you could provide us with the shades of brown that you would like us to use? That would be much appreciated. Also, it might take a little more time, apologies for taking more time than usual meant to wait for the skin to change back, so that we can see the brown scheme. It'll be done soon though. Shouldn't take more than a week, at most. Also, a background, do you guys think you could provide with a non-oasis (meaning without the chunk in the middle) background? It'd be much appreciated. Thanks, --Jazzi 12:35, April 19, 2012 (UTC)
- First draft
- I've gone ahead and pulled together a first draft for the skin, it can be found at my test wiki. I don't know if you guys want a background, but I worked with the colors to provide a background. There's a slight gradient for the background currently. Changes can be and will be made at request. I encourage you to check out everything, especially Monobook Testing, as it includes almost everything in there. Feedback will be wonderful! --Jazzi 13:38, April 19, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - Personally, I think adding a background would add some liveliness to the page. I don't think the colors work well though. I would think it'd look better if there was a darker colour appearing next to a lighter colour. I still think that using the carbon theme is the best way to go. Hair 12:46, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
Comment - The colours are suiting, I guess, but the border on pre and code are too thick. 1 pixel width would look better, I'd say (also on the border around categories). As well, the font size in the pre and code is too small. The grey backgrounds of the tables also seem a bit off in the brown of the rest of the page. Also in the tables, the text is black, while the rest of the page uses a dark brown text. Regular links are blue, but in the sidebar and categories, they're brown, which strikes me as a bit inconsistent. I also am not sure about the table of contents being so bold. The outline around thumbnails is also a touch dark for my taste. I'm not sure what, but a background image is really needed to add some life to the pages, which otherwise are a bit dull. Perhaps it'd be possible to use the regular wiki background image ([[:File:Wiki-background]]) along with some partial transparency of the content area? Or a variation of that image? Hofmic Talk 07:27, April 22, 2012 (UTC)
- For consistency between the oasis and monobook I'd like to see the normal oasis background used, but as monobook is such a different layout, we need the original un-(oasis)edited file. Problem is, not many people know where to find it, assuming it was ever hosted here. cqm talk 23:43, April 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Hya, folks, I'm from the Monobook Wiki, and have been working on a test drive for your theme as well. Since I haven't picked up on fixing things for a while, I know there's a lot to be done. Now, my skills aren't as great as Jazzi's, but I just thought I'd let you guys see any other options you have. My version thus far is located here; feel free to check it out. — Wattz2000 11:47, April 28, 2012 (UTC)
Request for closure - It's time we moved this along, especially as the users who volunteered to make this skin have been kept waiting all this time. I suggest we place Jäzzi's and Wattz2000's themes on our [[RS:T/M|Monobook themes submissions page]] and set up a poll. We should also have a comments section where voters can voice their opinions or if they feel anything needs changing. We should probably do this sooner rather than later, as the new Monobook logo currently being decided upon will have to correspond with the new skin. I would suggest extending the deadline for logos to one week after this thread is closed to allow users more time to tweak and supply their logos. Other than that, I don't think there's any reason to leave this thread open to rot for any longer. All theme and logo related discussion should take place on their relevant pages. Ronan Talk 17:59, May 15, 2012 (UTC)
Closed - The new Monobook theme will be added, any further discussion regarding modification will take place on the [[RS:T/M|relevant page]]. --Sαcrε Fι (edit my sig) | (edit my user page) 08:40, May 16, 2012 (UTC)