I would like to replace the current Monobook icon, File:Wiki.png, which has not been updated in three years. Issues:
- the RuneScape logo has changed
- the wiki's font has changed
- it was apparently selected via a
<poll>that had twelve votes in total?
- the out-of-date icon is displayed when the wiki bookmarked on mobile home screens/PC desktops
This thread is mostly about the last bullet.
There are over a dozen icon sizes to support for different versions of iOS and Android. Unfortunately, we cannot edit the site's HTML to specify files for each resolution with
apple-touch-icon, nor is there a way to have the mobile icon show something separate from the Monobook icon.
Since this one file must function as the icon for all sizes, I have made it 192 × 192 pixels, the largest dimensions required for any device (Chrome for Android). Smaller screens will scale the icon down to fit. It will be slightly cut off on desktop because it's larger than the standard Monobook sidebar, but it can easily be resized or replaced with CSS.
iOS automatically rounds off corners and fills in transparent areas with black, as shown in the table. On the other hand, Android is inconsistent; some versions round corners, some leave the file unaltered, some show a distorted version of favicon.ico, some don't even show an image, just the letter "W". Since Android behavior changes depending on both hardware and software, I don't think we should waste time worrying about something we can't control.
Support replacement --19:31, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
Oppose - too spoopy MolMan 19:32, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
- It's super s💩y MolMan 19:33, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
- BTW, I believe to make it most "portable," it would be 150x150px, since that's the area allotted to the logo by the skin, although the skin doesn't stop it from overflowing. --Saftzie (talk) 20:04, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
- As I said above, 150 × 150 px is too small for Chrome for Android (192 × 192), the iPhone 6 Plus (180 × 180), and retina iPad (152 × 152). Those devices would have to scale up the image, which looks worse than scaling down.
- The corners are not rounded because Android and iOS have different guidelines, and the radii even varies between versions of iOS. From the HIG: "iOS ... automatically applies a mask that rounds the corners. Make sure your icon has 90° corners so it looks good after the mask is applied." If you pre-round the image and it's different from the device's default, you'll get something gross like this. -- 21:16, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
Super Duper Support - *fedora voice* if i could upvote twice, I would, m'lady --20:01, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
- Comment- Can we just make this the icon again http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/runescape2/images/b/bc/Wiki.png/revision/20130402001934
Also I just got the joke in the title haha im dumb-- 23:03, May 31, 2016 (UTC)
Support - Gotta update everything we can now while we're at it 8)02:30, June 1, 2016 (UTC)
Comment + Support - I did some more digging after contacting Wikia to try and figure out why they use this for homepage icons, turns out this is only set in the page source in Oasis. What this essentially means is that it's intended behaviour for tablets, probably targeted at iOS but for as all non-mainspace pages are in oasis for mobile as well, it leaks there too.
- On iOS (iPhone 6s+) saving a mercury page gives Wiki.png . 21:27, June 6, 2016 (UTC)
- I still see it in Monobook? -- 01:22, June 7, 2016 (UTC)