Forum:Modifications to AOTM
Our articles of the month could really work better than it does. The way it currently works, some articles are nominated and the best one becomes the article of the month. Such competition between articles is counterproductive. If there are two great articles, only one can become featured. If there are two horrible articles, one will still be featured, unless a smart sysop closes the discussion.
With that said, I'd like to move the AOTM to a FIMG-like system. That way, we are evaluating each article for its intrinsic benefits, not how it compares to the other articles that were nominated for the month. There seems to be little point to having articles of the month now that the front page template displays a featured article at random.
So, I would like to lay out some ground rules for the new AOTM system:
- Since it's not based on months anymore, rename the page RuneScape:Featured articles.
- Each nomination will be open for two weeks, and may be extended by one week if necessary.
- There will be a nominations for delisting section, but no nominations for replacement (because an article cannot be replaced).
- There may be a maximum of four nominations (not counting delisting) at one point in time. This is to prevent any overflow of the page and flooding of the AOTM template.
- Nominations made while there are four current nominations will be placed in a queue. If there are nominations waiting in the queue, when a nomination is closed, the first in the queue takes the open spot.
- Articles which are already featured will remain featured.
- The template placed at the bottom of featured articles will need to be modified to remove the date.
Well, since I did not realize/forgot/whatever that it already happened in Forum:AOTM modification, I'm changing this proposal to implement the limit of four articles, with the queue for overflow. --LiquidTalk 22:11, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
It seems awfully bureaucratic and time wasting to make a proposal for something most unlikely to happen (we barely have have one article at a time, and it was the LACK of more good articles that caused the other thread to happen). And even if there were more than four, so what, it hurts nothing.--Degenret01 22:14, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Suggestion - EDIT CONFLICT GALORY!!! Can we add "Users must write the description essay (The thing on the main page and [[Template:Featuredarticle]]) before nominating" as a few times they were featured but no one wrote the essay thing so it wasn't put up for a while (a week) or put up but with a short little thing.22:14, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Withdrawn - Degen has a really good point. @Evil, you can just be bold and do it. It would be classified under RS:IAR or common sense, so I doubt anyone would yell at you for it (at least I won't). --LiquidTalk 22:18, August 31, 2010 (UTC)