Forum:Mining & Smithing beta
Today the Mining and Smithing rework beta was opened - this thread is to decide how we cover the beta.
Proposal: The basics of the beta itself (i.e. the mechanism of joining, the location it is, etc) should be covered on a general page about it - like Evolution of Combat beta. This page should also cover the mechanics of the skills (how stuff works, differences to live, etc).
There are 382 new, non-dummy items in the beta. As a quick summary of why so many, the primary reason is that there are 4 new tiers of equipment, each with 10 items. Most of these - as well as the same items in existing tiers - can be upgraded up to 5 times (+1 -> +5 with increased bonuses). Several tiers can also be upgraded once more to a decorated version, which cannot be equipped but can be turned in for bulk Smithing XP.
I have divided up the items into the following categories:
- Exclusive new items without upgrades: 56
- Upgraded versions of the new items: 160
- New versions of existing items: 25
- Upgraded versions of existing items: 91
- Decorated items: 50
At time of writing I have created basic pages for the 56 exclusive new items.
This leaves us to decide:
- Merge or split upgraded items - and to do that for the beta, or wait for it to become live
- Merge or split decorated versions
- Cover absolutely everything about every item, or just basics
- Make /beta pages about live items, covering the new versions in the beta
Proposal: I am a little undecided, but I think this will suffice for now:
- Cover upgraded items on the base item page for now - revisit this closer to when the rework is going to go live to consider granularity more strongly
- Split decorated, as they are more different than +2 is from +1.
- Make /beta subpages for live items and treat them similarly to the new items.
- Cover as much as possible - consider making some templates for displaying progress/materials needed with each upgrade, etc
NPCs and objects
Proposal: There aren't many NPCs, and they're mostly vendors, so they can really just be covered exactly like EoC beta NPCs. Objects - like the rocks and new hopper - should be covered similarly.
Proposal: Take images of everything, as much as possible! We don't get many - if any - opportunities to have in-game images of WIP stuff like this. (Aside: I kinda like the weird, flat-colour, textureless armour.)
Proposal: All pages (and images) about exclusive content should be added to an appropriate category, say Category:Mining and Smithing rework.
Support all proposals as nominator. Note that this should be a somewhat quicker thread since the beta isn't indefinite.22:29, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
- FYi, Mining and Smithing beta. ;) 22:45, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
Support all props - As such, There is also a Template:Infobox beta for use on things. 22:31, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
- Infobox beta is only for the beta pages themselves, since everything else already has an infobox of their own, e.g. Template:Infobox NPC, Template:Infobox Item, and Template:Infobox scenery. 22:45, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
Support all proposals, but - I'd suggest calling the category
Mining and Smithing rework with 'and' instead of the ampersand. :P 22:45, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
Support all Proposals - Concerning the different +Items, I think for the beta it is enought to put them on the base item page but for the final rework they will have to get their own page --Srylius (talk) 22:59, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
Comment - The existing pages that I could find now have thenavbox which transcludes the category. 23:57, February 12, 2018 (UTC)
Support and Comment - Perhaps the +1, +2, etc. versions can be covered by a switch box, in the same manner as different dosages of potions? But with a completely separate page for decorated versions -- F-Lambda (talk) 00:49, February 13, 2018 (UTC)
Support all proposals -12:19, February 13, 2018 (UTC)
Comment - Is there a way to turn the Recipe template into a switch box template? Because if there is a way the upgraded versions would fit nicely on the item base page. Srylius (talk) 12:45, February 13, 2018 (UTC)