Forum:Licensing proposal for copied content
Recently there has been much discussion about licensing issues involving content copied directly from the game/website. As I understand it, the result is that nearly all copied dialog, etc has been declared illegal to host here because the content cannot be licensed under the CC-BY-SA unless Jagex explicitly grants such a license, so only small snippets are allowed, as per fair use. However, I think it might be possible to have a different license for copied pages.
I checked RuneScape:Copyrights and although it's clear that its is on CC-BY-SA content, it does say "except where otherwise specified", which implies that exceptions are possible, if properly noted. I propose that we make a new template based off of the FunOrb Wiki's [[w:c:funorb:Template:Jagex|Jagex template]], changing the wording to apply equally to text as to images. This should make it possible to keep all content copied from Jagex as long as they don't act to withdraw permission.
- This would allow us to keep all sorts of useful information.
- This should keep us on Jagex's good side.
- If Jagex ever decides to withdraw permission, everything will be neatly labeled so a bot can delete all copied content at a moment's notice.
- This is still not CC-BY-SA or fair use.
- We might need to get Wikia involved to allow other-licensed content.
Support - as nom. --MarkGyver 18:45, September 6, 2010 (UTC)