Forum:Leaving Wikia

From the RuneScape Wiki, the wiki for all things RuneScape
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Forums: Yew Grove > Leaving Wikia
This page or section is an archive.
Please do not edit the contents of this page.
This thread was archived on 14 October 2018 by JaydenKieran.

Hey everyone. Today is an important day - we finally have the chance to leave Wikia. It's been a long time coming, and we’ve talked about it for almost a decade, but this time is different - we have the full support of Jagex, both financially and institutionally.

This is a project we've had to keep under wraps for a while (apologies for the secrecy - there are good reasons for it though). Long story short, we've already created new independently hosted wikis, put a ton of work into designing them, and assuming people are on board with this, we're going to publicly launch them once this thread closes.

The new wikis are live at and They're in a read-only preview for the duration of this thread, using a snapshot of the wiki from the end of January 2018 with only current revisions. Once we fully launch with the close of the thread, we'll be merging in all the changes we've made to it on to an up-to-date version of the wiki with all of the revisions. This thread doesn't need to be posted everywhere - we'll do plenty of shouting about it when we actually launch; for the time being this is a preview for editors.

Please head over there and check it out, and use this form to give us feedback on the design, any issues you find with any pages (broken JS/lua/templates/whatever), etc. The wiki is massive and while we've tried our best to fix everything, some things may have slipped through the cracks - some aspects of the design are not finalised, especially on mobile. Also, due to the ongoing work the sites could go down for short periods or run slowly at any time due to backend maintenance. I also suggest you begin migrating any and all bookmarks/custom searches/etc to point to the new wiki, etc.

We are confident that forking is the best option for the future of the wikis and we are sorry for the secrecy that's been necessary up until this point. We really hope that you will agree, and hope to see everyone over on the new wikis.

I'm sure most of you want details about what's happening, so let's get into that now, Q&A style. Feel free to ask about whatever and we'll answer as much as we can.


What is forking and who does it affect?

Forking is the process of leaving Wikia.

The wikis that will be forking are the RuneScape Wiki (this wiki) and the Old School RuneScape Wiki. We have also created a new meta wiki which will cover administration of the wikis.

We are considering forking interlanguage wikis in the future - for the time being, English wikis are the focus until we are stable.


Short answer: To get away from Wikia.

Longer answer: Here are a few reasons:

  • The state of advertisements on Wikia is horrendous and not improving.
  • Wikia's movement away from wiki content to clickbait editorials.
  • Wikia's increasing control over our site content, via things like JS review and by pushing their own videos over the actual articles.
  • Wikia's security history is terrible; historically, they haven't fixed a problem until someone abuses it.
  • Wikia's software is super out of date. MediaWiki 1.19 is six-and-a-half years old and grossly incompatible with new/updates to extensions. Security fixes and similar have to be backported and Wikia's custom additions are mostly things we don't like (and the ones we do have better extensions in current MW).
  • Wikia don't care about us. We had a discussion with Wikia earlier this year - most of our concerns have yet to be addressed. Not to mention the entire fiasco with featured videos, javascript review, new infoboxes, and so on. Just, they don't care about us or any community in general.

We can solve all of the above by not being on Wikia. Additionally, there’s major upside to having control over our own infrastructure:

  • We get to use the latest MediaWiki version, 1.31 (and keep upgrading it as updates are released).
  • We get to use new and updated extensions, or even create our own: we can stop using MediaWiki for exchange prices, make interactive maps, create better calculators… so many opportunities for cool stuff when we’re not limited by Wikia.
  • We get HTTPS everywhere by default
  • 2FA is available for all accounts
  • We use a new full width skin, the same used by Wikipedia, allowing us to display more content on the page, rather than the page being riddled in advertising.
  • We get to expand out into auxiliary things that we can integrate into the wiki - some of you have already been using our general purpose tool server, where we're collating editing tools. There's plenty of things we can do and there are some grand plans percolating.

That all said, the most important thing is that the people running the wiki will be people that actually care about the games and the communities.

How did this happen?

Here's a summary of the important points.

  • Featured Videos went live back in August 2017. They were really bad. Mod Balance talked to his contact in Wikia and got them taken down.
  • Mod Balance heard our griping that we want to leave and said that Jagex would probably be willing to help. Mod Balance and a few wiki admins organised a 2-day meeting at Jagex HQ, on 11-12 October 2017.
  • Mod Balance helped set up the (previously mentioned) discussion with Wikia about our concerns - we definitely were not impressed with Wikia's answers (and 8 months on from it, we can see that not much of it has come into effect).
  • We began pushing ahead with test versions of the wiki, formal proposals, and incorporation.
  • We negotiated with Jagex for about a year and finalised things on 7 September 2018, kicking us into gear to get ready to launch.

Who is running the wiki? How much are Jagex involved?

To summarise:

  • Weird Gloop is a limited by guarantee company we’ve setup in England & Wales for the purposes of managing the wikis.
  • While we have company directors (currently myself and Cook), this does not subtract from the consensus-led independent systems that the RS and OSRS wiki already have. Additional directors will be appointed by the community, similar to the process used by the Wikimedia Foundation, who own Wikipedia. At the end of the day, the editing community controls the direction of the site.

We’ve signed an agreement with Jagex, allowing us to use their trademarks properly and form a partnership with them to host the wikis. We all, including Jagex, want to be transparent with the community about what this partnership entails. The next few sections should answer most questions you may have, but please ask if there’s anything we have not explained here.

Jagex's other involvement with the wikis will be limited as Weird Gloop retains final creative control. However, we want to encourage more JMods to actively edit.

  • Jagex will be advertising us more actively and will link to us directly from and
  • We're also in the early stages of planning how the wikis can be more deeply linked with the games. Examples of ideas that we’ve talked about (by no means final or guaranteed) include:
    • In-game ways to access the wiki - a search bar or a help-click or something along those lines.
    • Linking wiki account to game account via OAuth (like Twitch linking) to make doing things like the title and other rewards easier.
    • If they happen, these things will happen in RS first; the OSRS team will see how they go down and will likely poll them before they make it over there.

Weird Gloop has no full-time employees, but we do have 2 part-time contractors that maintain the servers (Jayden and TehKittyCat).

Contract summary

  • We have permission to use the RuneScape and Old School RuneScape trademarks and copyrights - we no longer rely on fair use (especially not in the maybe not legal way we do currently).
  • Jagex pays us a fee to cover all of our hosting and administration costs.
    • Directors and other general editors are not paid - but, as mentioned, we have hired part-time sysadmins to run the servers and put out fires.
  • We ensure that various offensive content is kept off the site - stuff like porn, racism, etc. All stuff we don't want anyway.
  • Information that may violate the privacy of anyone working for Jagex can be removed on request (which we’d do anyway).
  • Our sites will run no advertisements not approved by Jagex (excluding internal project and event promotions).
  • Jagex has one 'advertising space' available for use when they want it to be. It is defined as one front page widget (looking something like this) and will be marked as such. In general this will be used only if there's some extended campaign they want to stay on the front page, e.g. premier club would normally be bumped off after 4 weeks, so now it'll stay for the full 8-10 weeks. Note that the contract also stipulates that 'ads' have to fit with the theme of the wiki and not lessen our value.

The contract is up for renewal every 12 months. Should the contract terminate (by not renewing or early for other reasons):

  • All licences and support and funding cease
  • The domains are returned to Jagex
  • If the contract is terminated for a reason other than by us breaching it, Jagex won't use any domain with the term 'wiki' in it for 6 months.

The short summary of the contract is that Jagex gives us funding and a licence to use their stuff, we give them one fairly restricted ad space, plus a bunch of butt-covering legal stuff. Again, if you want any additional details, do ask and we can expand.

Why didn't you talk about this sooner?

We have kept this under wraps for several reasons:

  • Wikia knowing too early could have been bad.
  • Things could have fallen through at several points.
  • There are NDAs involved.

Personally, I am of the opinion that hyping the community early could easily have backfired if things didn't happen or were delayed.

Anything else moving? What isn't moving?

All RuneScape Wiki social media (including, but not limited to, the clan chat, Twitter for both wikis, Facebook, Discord) will move with the wiki. The in-game title the Wikian will also move (all successful nominations closed before the closure of this thread will be honoured).

Again, the wikis moving are the RuneScape Wiki and the Old School RuneScape Wiki. We are considering forking successful non-English wikis in the future. All other RuneScape-related Wikia wikis are not included in the fork (and we will unaffiliate with them).

Do I keep my account? What about user groups?

Yep! Every account that ever edited the wiki is protected from being created. You can log in to your account on the fork using your Wikia credentials - this will then be authenticated via Wikia's API and if it's correct your account will be fully activated. Your password will remain the same and is stored securely (it would be good practice to change password though). (Your account will only be authenticated against Wikia if it isn't activated - once successfully activated, everything is only through the fork servers. This account migration ability may eventually be removed.)

The standard (OS)RSW user groups will be transferred - autoconfirmed, rollback, custodian, admin, bureaucrat. Bot will be re-granted to relevant bot/AWB accounts upon request. By necessity, checkuser will require additional confirmations - we'll probably run requests on the new wikis after launch.

We'll be adding two global user groups that will apply to all wikis: a Jagex group for verified Jagex employees (which has no extra rights, but is a clear marker), and a sysadmin group for the sysadmins with server access.

Eventually we will be able to rename accounts, as long as the target name has never edited any of the wikis. This will be available once things are stable for us and for MediaWiki itself (as user data is an area of change right now). More information on renaming will be available in future.

What happens to the old wiki?

We stop editing it, and it slowly becomes obsolete and withers away. That’s it.

What about SEO and traffic?

This has always been the main issue with leaving Wikia in the past - many forks from Wikia have been pretty successful at moving all of the editors over, but less successful at moving the readers. Here are the reasons we think this opportunity is different:

  • No fork has ever had nearly this amount of institutional support from the intellectual property holder. That’s incredibly valuable.
  • Both the editing community and the reading community are really centralized in their respective offsite mediums (Discord and Reddit, respectively), more so than ever before. We have the ability to reach the vast majority of players and editors, without any interference from Wikia.
  • RuneScape’s content is regularly updated, and our proportion of traffic coming from very recent updates (e.g. player-owned farms, or Making Friends with My Arm on OSRS) is way higher than just about any other game. That means obsolescence comes very, very quickly.

And SEO is initially a problem - it'll take a while for us to beat out the old wiki in terms of google searches and such. But, we have several things that will be very beneficial to us getting there:

  • Our new domain has is closer to the primary site (i.e. runescape isn't a subdomain), an advantage over Wikia
  • Direct linking from the primary site (i.e. links on is a strong SEO increaser
  • Our more close relationship with Jagex can skip the entire problem

What next?

Right now, please head over to the new wikis - and - and give us feedback on them.

For technical reasons, when the thread closes there will be a period between closure and full launch to make sure that import is all working, things are merged correctly, and otherwise make sure that the wiki is running fine before allowing editing. It would be nice if you didn't edit Wikia during this period. (You could also save significant contributions during the entire thread for the new wiki.)

We also have plans for things happening alongside launching - Jagex offered to have some of the wiki editors on the livestreams for Old School, so we’re sending some people back to Cambridge next week. We’ve also got a slot to talk about/demo the wiki on the RuneFest stream, right before one of the presentations.

Our launch timeline is:

  • 25th: Thread opens
  • 24-28th: Various technical things
  • 29-30th: Technical merging of updated scripts/etc into new wiki
  • 2nd October: Thread closes. Launch!
  • 3rd: Several admins (we haven't confirmed who just yet) will be on the Old School RuneScape livestream
  • 6th: RuneFest! We'll be on stream just before the Old School presentation.
  • 13th: In-game (RS3) event with the Events Team - big drop party and games!


Support leaving Wikia as nominator. Feel free to ask us about anything for more details. I hope you'll support us in this endeavour - it's going to be awesome. Quest.png Gaz Lloyd 7:^]Events!99s 20:01, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Farming-icon.png Salix (Talk) Prifddinas lodestone icon.png 20:01, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - it's been a long year jayden 20:02, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I have long awaited this day. Being independent we could do so many things and make this great wiki even greater. - TehKittyCatTalk Wikian-Book 20:02, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - BGUyLfN.png CJaW7Er.png 20:02, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - This is by far the best option we've ever had for leaving Wikia. I think just about everyone has wanted to get away from our awful host for many years, but the right circumstances were just never there -- I've actually opposed every previous forking thread because the plan was never well-thought-out and there were no good options to establish dominance. This is fundamentally different, and fucking awesome. Let's do it. ʞooɔ 20:03, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - :Wowee: Star Talk ayy lmao ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 20:04, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

btw reminder to please not post this on reddit or go shouting about it anywhere thx lol Star Talk ayy lmao ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 20:28, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
lol well that lasted long gg Star Talk ayy lmao ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 17:11, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Incredibly powerful support - sayonara motherfrickers User talk:InvalidCards.png: RS3 Inventory image of User talk:InvalidCards InvalidCards Special:Contributions/InvalidCards.png: RS3 Inventory image of Special:Contributions/InvalidCards 20:04, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - 👋 Talk to Kelsey 20:05, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - HELL YES. Meeeeerds msg 20:09, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support --Iiii I I I 20:14, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - It's been a long time coming. So much to gain from having our own independence from Wikia, and I believe the stars are aligned with Jagex's backing it can only mean good things are ahead. We will not get a better opportunity than now, ever. address (talk) 20:15, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - iN008talk 20:15, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Cuxrie (talk) 20:16, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - 🍴🍴🍴 cqm 20:17, 25 Sep 2018 (UTC) (UTC)

Support - Riblet15 20:18, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I feel this song is perfect for this. Twigy (Talk) AbXjFjD.png 20:25, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - This plan looks pretty concrete. I agree that a fork can only work with Jagex's substantial backing because moving the community is way more difficult than moving the infrastructure. There have been many unsuccessful forks from Wikia in the past. My question: do you think Wikia will do something to try to disrupt or impede this? What can they do? 5-x Talk 20:44, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

The only really unsuccessful one I can think of is Vault/Nukapedia. Binding of Isaac did quite well. Twigy (Talk) AbXjFjD.png 20:49, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Yeah, but what if the fork is unsuccessful? As the activity levels are low, the wiki already relies heavily on the bunch of really dedicated contributors. Average unregistered editors won't really care that there's a new, better wiki being built somewhere out there. That's why I say this entire endeavour relies heavily on Jagex's support and advertisement. A lot can go wrong. 5-x Talk 23:57, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
There's not a lot in technical terms they can do. I guess they could make things a tad more awkward for the final edit imports, but I would find it unlikely for wikia to do that. cqm 20:55, 25 Sep 2018 (UTC) (UTC)

Support — Big support. Wikia FANDOM Inc. has become more and more intolerable as a host, and everything with this move seems well organized and planned. Looking at the benefits, this seems like an excellent thing. --laagone talk 20:51, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support took us long enough Thefreeman500 (talk) 20:53, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 20:57, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - YES! Pernix cowl detail.png MAGE-KIL-R (Talk)Zaros symbol.png 20:59, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Seaport - WOOHOO! What I've done Ciphrius Kane Talk 21:03, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Invention.pngCephHunter talkSlayer.png 21:04, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead - Degenret01 (talk)

Support I may not get along with many of you but I wish you all the best with your endeavours -LM 21:08, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support Been hard to keep this under wraps, but it's totally worth seeing everyone being supportive! -- Recent uploads SpineTalkGuest book 21:19, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Extreme support This is great news for everyone. As one of the admins for the PT wiki i really hope this project goes smoothly and we can be forked as well, eventually. Fix bayonets, but don't stop the artillery! Raven (blue).png Crowborn (Talk) 21:29, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

So long, gay Bowser - Achievements Coelacanth0794 Talk Contribs 21:48, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - --LiquidTalk 22:09, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Oooh, this is exciting. ɳex undique 22:17, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

I do have a couple questions actually: (1) What constitutes breach by us? The only thing I can think of now is denying a reasonable request to remove private info about Jagex employees, not removing offensive content, or running bad ads. That's all super easy, but is there anything else?; (2) let's say the contract isn't renewed, what happens then? Could we migrate easily again, or is that kinda it? ɳex undique 23:23, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
(1) That's pretty much it. Our side of the deal is fairly minimal and is pretty much not to abuse their trademark, and to remove content that is defamatory or offensive. (2) It's a good question. We can definitely move domains again for sure. Our discussions with Jagex have always gone into this with the fact that the contract will be renewed because it's good for them to support players of their game and it's good for us to keep maintaining the site. We don't anticipate having troubles with them in the future. jayden 23:27, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Okay great, thanks for the quick responses. I'm glad we retain final creative control too, that's super important. ɳex undique 23:33, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support Anything to distance you lot from FANDOM. FANDOM's less about information and more trying to be Social Media, no thanks. {{SUBST:Template:Signatures/NeekPatterson}} 22:25, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support. However, I have a question: will the old wiki be made read-only once the move is finalized? --Ixfd64 (talk) 22:37, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

We're leaving this wiki as is, so no. Talk to Kelsey 22:38, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
As useful as the idea sounds, we're not going to violate Wikia's [[w:c:homepage:Terms of Use|Terms of Use]], which includes defacing the wiki or obstructing wiki functionality. Even if we wanted to, some of us edit other Wikia wikis or have global user rights so risking being globally blocked is not something we will be partaking. address (talk) 22:45, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Temujin 22:38, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - deep state secret wiki cabal performing a coup of wikia behind the scenes smh --Adventurer's log Wahisietel (Talk) Quest map icon.png 22:42, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

We sure did uwu --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 22:43, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
👀 - iN008talk 22:44, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
But seriously I am kind of actually pissed at at you guys for this. This move has essentially already been decided with little to no community input whatsoever, this thread is basically "this is happening regardless of what you actually want" with the (admittedly true) expectation that almost everyone will support it. I feel like that is inherently against what we stand for. This plan also relies on Jagex not fucking up. I do not trust Jagex to not fuck up, especially in light of recent events. I'm putting in a meaningless token oppose since I do not agree with how this was handled. Adventurer's log Wahisietel (Talk) Quest map icon.png 23:09, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Reply - Are you pissed because you weren't a part of the fork discussion beforehand or are you making a fuss for the sake of it? From my experience in the community, at least on the oldschool end, consensus was our current host was not beneficial to the wiki whatsoever, and this was coming from both editors and readers alike, do you have legitimate criticism here besides "Jagex might fuck up"? iN008talk 23:21, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Reply - Working on a contract under confidentiality agreements makes it hard for us to let the cat out the bag. We always considered how the community may feel, and we've been constantly seeing posts, especially over the last 12 months and especially on Reddit, about how we need to leave Wikia. We went into this project with the aim to please people who have wanted this for a while and to give the community a great place to edit and give information. This opens the door to big things, such as integration within the game itself, and it's hard to see how any of this would go down badly with people. We made this thread to gauge the interest of the community and we're treating this as a proposal. If as many people opposed as they have supported already, we wouldn't do it. It'd clearly not be what anyone wants. We haven't ditched our consensus-based model. The people that have seen our work so far have been extremely receptive to it. We're doing this for the community. And the reliance on Jagex is minimal. Having a firm contract in place with them limits what they can do wrong. Believe it or not, this will be a positive thing, and I'm sorry to hear you haven't taken too kindly to it. I hope we can change your mind. jayden 23:23, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Hey Ben -- I definitely understand where you're coming from, and the degree of required secrecy here has made me a little unhappy (I agree that the whole "deep state admin cabal" vibe isn't ideal). That said, I don't think we really had an alternative -- telegraphing this way earlier would have given Wikia a huge advantage, and this was not something we could have made work if we were transparent about it when it started happening (and truthfully, everyone would have been very frustrated by how slowly things moved). All I can tell you is that going forward, there aren't any secrets left for us to keep. Also, Jagex "fucking up" doesn't really impact us meaningfully -- right now they're a really nice partner to have, but if things go badly, it's not like they're hosting the wikis, or we're beholden to them. I hope you'll still join us even if you (reasonably) dislike how it was handled. ʞooɔ 23:35, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Ben, don't feel singled out man - you should know that you weren't the only non-admin without insider knowledge. While I discussed some off-site fork-related things back in February like buying the domain with Gaz, Kane, and Cook, I can say that I was not given any concrete details or confirmation that a fork was even in the works. Any discussion with them was purely my interest in moving away from Wikia per the collective "gripes" about Wikia's decisions and the direction it was moving in. I am not offended by secrecy of the whole thing as I believe it was within good intention and would agree was important in the execution of it all. /bren/tc 02:25, September 27, 2018 (UTC)
Yeah sorry, that rant was probably influenced by me feeling shitty because of IRL stuff and trying to vent a bit. I disagree with how it was handled but not that strongly. I will of course join y'all. The new features and opportunities the move gives us probably warrant further discussion once the move is done. Personally, the ability to create new usergroups is intriguing to me, a usergroup above custard with some additional (currently admin-only) maintenance related features without additional baggage would be nice :V. Adventurer's log Wahisietel (Talk) Quest map icon.png 01:10, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
Sorry to hear you had a bad day - I hope you did not take iN008's and I's comments as mockery - We were just being a little bit silly. I look forward to seeing you on the fork! --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 05:04, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - I have a question - what's the reasoning behind making new wiki independently instead of using another host like gamepedia. I'm guessing its cus of the jagex contract and/or it would just be another side of the same crappy host coin. Superiosity the WikianQuick Chat icon.png : Yo 23:20, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Oh, and transfering articles and accounts and stuff. I think i just answered my own question but whatever. Superiosity the WikianQuick Chat icon.png : Yo 23:21, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Gives us more dedicative for things like ads and the like. Plus Curse also shoves their "GamepediaPRO" shit on the side of pages when you don't have ad-block. You also have the "Live on Twitch" thing which could lead to abuse of it by Streamers. Edit: Plus they put an auto playing stream of a streamer playing said game (Albeit muted) you're looking at, So that's fun. Twigy (Talk) AbXjFjD.png 23:26, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
While Gamepedia are generally a better host than Wikia, I think we're just tired of having anyone superior to us. By self hosting we get to do all sorts of cool stuff ourselves, without being beholden to our ad-running masters. Our contract with Jagex is much less restrictive than a host would be and much more beneficial to us and the readers. Quest.png Gaz Lloyd 7:^]Events!99s 00:14, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
oops forgot to actually say support - Superiosity the WikianQuick Chat icon.png : Yo 08:50, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Oh how times change. Wikia has made it clear they're the ones who make the final decisions about our site, and the complaints from our readers are daily: intrusive ads (NSFW ads (1), (2)), confusing layout choices, forced skin changes, a search function that barely works, embedded autoplay videos... The admin team has to tell frustrated users on a daily basis that there's nothing we can do about it, and it's about time we change that.

Huge emphasis on a clunky search. It's why I always preferred being on monobook. /bren/tc 02:25, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

It wasn't until October 2017 that Wikia even announced the intention to support HTTPS. For a website with as much traffic as Wikia, that is inexcusably late and dangerously insecure. Wikia is a sinking ship leaking money and I want off their wild ride before they do anything else. Dragon medium helm! Whaddaya know?Chiafriend12Better than rune!Loon is best buttlord 23:39, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

I require the name of the second ad. Twigy (Talk) AbXjFjD.png 23:54, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Looks great - Hopefully this solves the complaints we've had about Wikia. I have one question, though: how much control will Jagex have over the new wiki? NeutralinoTalk?This is a pale wisp. 23:44, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

The answer to your question lays within this very forum thread, under "Who is running the wiki? How much are Jagex involved" --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 23:46, September 25, 2018 (UTC)
Just making sure. Thanks! NeutralinoTalk?This is a pale wisp. 23:55, September 25, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Pretty elaborate April Fools prank you folks have going on here. In all seriousness, this thought of ever leaving the Wikia platform has always been around as long as I can recall. Each and every time there was always some barrier, but the plan as laid out addresses many of the concerns prior. Having Jagex backing us is a huge benefit, so kudos to those involved in the organization of this. Clearly I've been away for a while so seeing the support that Jagex is giving us now is insane, considering there was a time when people were afraid of saying wiki ingame due to the rules.

There's always a lot of uncertainty when going through any major change, and I feel that the transition will definitely be a tough time. But the resources available to us and opportunities upon switching, I feel, greatly outweigh any of the risk of the move. ~MuzTalk 00:20, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Man I have some incredible April Fools plans. Quest.png Gaz Lloyd 7:^]Events!99s 00:43, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Zamik wizard. 'Nuff said. —Shaun Dreclintalk 00:22, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

That reminds me, I've opened up Zamik wizard again for editing, go nuts :) Superiosity the WikianQuick Chat icon.png : Yo 03:54, September 28, 2018 (UTC)
You can't improve upon perfection, Rob. --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 03:57, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Great news for the Wiki's future. A home of our own at last!  Cryptarch User_talk:Cryptarch.png: RS3 Inventory image of User_talk:Cryptarch 01:33, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support -- PRAISE THE GLOOP! Korasi's sword.png Archmage Elune  TalkHS Void knight deflector.png fetus is my son and I love him. 01:36, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Very nice lol /bren/tc 02:25, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

support Mistydarkness (talk) 02:22, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Outstanding Support - After discussing a single issue with Cook in the CC, I am happy to give this my full support. This plan was incredibly well thought out (As well as well-planned), and every base has been covered. In my opinion, this move makes the most sense for us. King Kolton9 (9 more options)  Choose OptionUser Page King Kolton9 (Level: 9000)Talk to King Kolton9Edit Count King Kolton9Chat at IRCMy Pages My SandboxMy Contributions 02:27, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Wario's Farts of Approval (extreme support!) - Wikia's been a major pain long enough! From featured videos to pointless competitions about food to shit involving abusive admins, they did, have, and keep proving that we are no longer a match for them hosting us. To say that they are now hemorraging viewers and testing many users patience is an understatement.

I was nervous about this at first, since, y'know, past threads have been shot down. However, after thoroughly reading through this, I am happy with what is being proposed. Smell ya later, FanDUMB. 7kyt1iT.gif --WINE OF GOOD HEALTH (Actually Stinko) 02:38, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

I think the difference that in the past such threads have always been "shall we move?", while this one is a fully planned "we will move" that's ready to be executed. Small recharge gem.png AnselaJonla Slayer-icon.png 02:40, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Just so I am totally clear on this (and for anyone else who has questions), basically, we will just abandon this wiki and leave it for dead, and all content will be copied over to a new wiki, independently owned/operated/hosted by Weird Gloop which is a business entity comprised of Gaz and Cook (with part-time sysadmins). Jagex will pay Weird Gloop to host a wiki because it is beneficial for them, and there is a contract in place that says we benefit from full legal use of their intellectual property/copyright stuff pertaining to RuneScape, and that they benefit because we help keep people playing their game and also offer them free adspace on our frontpage. Question: People can theoretically still use/edit this wiki because we aren't allowed to actually delete it, but people won't keep doing that because our wiki is going to be better? What happens if for whatever reason, it turns out that some people don't want to leave and actually keep using and editing this wiki? Is there any contingency plan for that? I mean, I suppose in theory, if after a year our new wiki should fail, we don't renew the contract with Jagex and could always come back to this wiki (not that we would want to, but it would be a fallback just in case right?)  RS AdvLogMyles Prower  Talk 02:58, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Yes, that's a really good summary of what's going on -- I'd add also that the company is currently controlled by Gaz and I, but after the fork we'll have community elections for the board of directors. These elections are required in the charter that we wrote for the company, so you don't need to just take our word for it that this is going to be community-run.
People might continue to edit this wiki(a). My impression is that not many people will. If we ended up not renewing the contract, that's not the end of the world, and we wouldn't come back to Wikia -- we'd just no longer have Jagex's direct support. ʞooɔ 03:06, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support -- HaidroH rune.pngEagle feather 3.pngCandle (blood red).png 1XqyDNM.png Crystal triskelion fragment 3.pngHazelmere's signet ring.png 03:07, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - svco4bY.png3Gf5N2F.png 03:17, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I don't like the random articles on the side and bottom of the page, they're such an eyesore and irrelevant to the content of the wiki. Funds (talk) 03:32, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

It's treason, then? Full Support - It's about time we did this! Wikia Fandomb has been getting progressively worse over the years... to the point that they don't even acknowledge their original purpose in their name! This ship is sinking, and I'm glad we're finally moving on. -- F-Lambda (talk) 04:14, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - Since only the RS and OSRS wikis are being moved, does this mean that the interwiki links to equivalent pages in Classic are going to be removed? Or will they be changed to link to what will be an offsite wiki? -- F-Lambda (talk) 05:17, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
I believe the current plan is to add a hook to ignore interlang wikis in {{external}} rather than outright remove them. We've talked to pt-br and hope to fork them a little down the line. I can't say for classic. --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 05:32, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Dragon 2h sword old.pngCallofduty4 Talk 09:30, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - when Jagex firsted start discussing this with us nearly a year ago I had my doubts; I was sure there had to be some ulterior motive for them, be it control over ads or our content or whatever. I am sure that some people just now finding out about the offer will have similar doubts; however I am confident that Jagex support will only benefit both us and them and that the contract we have negotiated will ensure that we continue to operate in way that fulfils the principles that we have always had here. A partnership with Jagex is an opportunity that we could never have dreamed of and there are many potential implications for a positive future for the wiki. Even if all we receive from Jagex is their financial support and some minimal promotion of our fork I feel that the deal is 100% worth taking to remove the current obstacles that come with being hosted by Wikia.

As some one who is not very knowledgeable on computer stuff I was amazed by how much Wikia are actually limiting us; not only with obvious stuff like ads and the terrible reader experience, but things that I was not aware of such as not updating to newer versions of the wiki software that fix security flaws and add new features. We have some amazingly talented editors here, and without being under the control of Wikia I believe that they can really develop the wiki further (you can see this already from the read-only new wikis). I'm not saying it will be easy, as we will be in direct competition with this wiki once we fork. We will need everyone on board to help make the most of the amazing opportunity that we have been given. I am so thankful to have be a part of this community, for Jagex for reaching out to us and offering their support and to have been involved in these negotiations to make the wiki even better. I hope to see you all on the other side, Magic logs detail.pngIsobelTalk page 10:22, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

So much support - pjJ4pBM.png Abyssal vine whip.png 12:14, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

All my support - ..All of it! Not being that savvy with editing or computer stuff, my pov is mostly that of a casual user. Even from that limited vantage point I have to say this is super-exciting! Room to expand and modernise, and being the ones behind the wheel can't be anything but good for the wiki and through that, the game itself. I mean.. integration into the game! Wicked. And greed aside, I think it's awesome that jagex is throwing their official support to back a wholly fan-based community in this way. Makes me feel like they care(which might be silly, but there you are). Plus them making money _might_ translate into good things for the game.

I'm also very tired so I'm not expressing myself that well, my apologies. As for the fork-ture, like Isobel said, it might be difficult at first, but I'll be happy to fight alongside all of you(with what limited aid I can provide) for the wiki. Power to the people! Feels so great to be a part of this community during these times. And I'm really proud of all of you diplomats and leaders for your work, I know it must've been difficult not to share these things as they evolved. Here's looking at you ;) Ouronum (talk) 12:58, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Supp to the ort Srylius (talk) 13:54, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Questions - Currently only current page revisions are imported to the new wiki, will previous page revisions be imported in future or will they be lost? And how long do you expect it'll take for Wikia FANDOM to remove everyone's user rights and start paying people to maintain the wiki in your stead, as I gather they have done in the past? Adventurer's log Wahisietel (Talk) Quest map icon.png 14:11, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

The fork is currently just a revision from January, there's a mirror wiki which is fully up-to-date with all revisions and will be merged to the fork once this thread is closed and it's fully launched. Farming-icon.png Salix (Talk) Prifddinas lodestone icon.png 14:17, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
To add on to this, many of the Grand Exchange price revisions won't be imported because they take up a large amount of unnecessary space. The data will still be intact, but the actual revisions that TyBot generated will not be there. HaidroH rune.pngEagle feather 3.pngCandle (blood red).png 1XqyDNM.png Crystal triskelion fragment 3.pngHazelmere's signet ring.png 15:46, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

I choose you, Weird Gloop This is fantastic news. When I saw this forum thread title in IRC (RIP), my first reaction was "Oh man, what did wikia do this time". I think that speaks for itself. Pikachu lv95 (talk) 16:41, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Comment Was there any particular reason you sister wikis snubbed the RSC wiki? Not that another case of RSC being obscured is anything new. Shasta Sms (talk) 19:01, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Hey. We're not snubbing RSC at all. We're happy to explore bringing you guys along. We just want to get the main EN wikis for RS3 and OSRS running smoothly before we bite off more than we can chew jayden 19:06, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - As someone editing and administrating an independent wiki (Polish Star Wars encyclopaedia) for over a decade and someone who has also been annoyed by the direction of Wikia for years, this is for the best. Granted, on our wiki we have to deal with some drawbacks of being independent every now and then, mostly due to lack of contributors/crew with siffucient technical prowess, but from what I've read you have all those things covered. The biggest issue is obviously the fact that all technical/server issues you have to deal with on your own rather than relying on the host/provider, you also need to manually update MediaWiki software and install extensions/scripts, but RS Wiki has some amazingly talented tech-side people, so I expect this is going to be a non-issue, especially with Jagex' support. All potential issues are outweighted by having full control of what, where and when is displayed on your site, without having to constantly worry about Wikia hindering the reading/editing experience by imposing intrusive features nobody asked for. RS Wiki is big and popular enough to survive on its own. New wiki is also clearly superior, since it uses classic monobook-style interface with proper sidebar rather than the new Wikia style. My only issue with new wiki is the flexible page width, but that's just personal preference, fixed width allows for more consistent formatting and easier reading, especially on high resolution screens.Mariobaryla (talk) 19:18, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I am both a passionate Runescape Player and somebody who recently lead a fork project to leave fandom (the yugioh wikia has forked to It is a great thing to see this wikia learning the same lessons and taking the same steps. You won't regret it. DanParkerYugioh (talk) 19:31, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Im glad the wikia is moving in this direction. Reading through everything I'm so glad they are adding in game support to the new wiki eventually. This will help out those who have questions, and dont immediately know who to turn to. Kawaiislave (talk) 20:08, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - not to distract too much from the wiki experience, but this wiki's had 13 years to accumulate SEO - won't a fork take a while to become high-ranking? (The Jagex link updates will speed that up a lot but "skip" seems optimistic.) speedy🔔︎🚀︎ 20:42, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

The SEO will certainly be an uphill climb -- we have no expectation that Wikia will fall off the face of Google in a couple months. However, Google ranking is much less stable than you might think -- we know this from dealings with the official RuneScape Wiki in past years. The linking from Jagex will help, but isn't a silver bullet. The bigger long-term wins are 1) Wikia is changing their domain, which is really going to hurt them; 2) we're going to (eventually) get ingame linking to the wiki, which will bypass Google as the main way to use the wiki regardless. But we have no delusions that we're going to "win" immediately. ʞooɔ 20:52, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
Oh, that's very opportune. I'm impressed. speedy🔔︎🚀︎ 22:13, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
I'm curious - what do you mean with "Wikia is changing their domain, which is really going to hurt them". In what will Wikia change it?--Aggroblut (talk) 12:34, September 28, 2018 (UTC)
Wikia is going to change their domain from to coming January. Farming-icon.png Salix (Talk) Prifddinas lodestone icon.png 12:38, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - This very nice from Jagex. 1wDmkih.png  Manpaint of the RPU (t)(c) 20:48, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Contributions Food Company Talk Edit Count 21:42, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support Literally everything I thought would be needed in my multiple rants in the CC was accomplished here, PRAISE THE GLOOP!! Ethan Obi 21:46, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Can't wait for it! Maximus Gugu of ArmadylQuick Chat icon.png: Your Friendly Neighborhood Artist. 21:48, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Whatever teething pains there will be, I'm all for it! Can't wait to say goodbye to Wikia for good! Thingummywut (talk) 22:00, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Oh my God YES!!! Icy Glacies Talk page 22:27, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Additional Proposals

1) When we leave, we scrub the Jmod pages. Why? To help maintain some level of privacy for the Jmods. As the wiki ages, and Jmods come and go, I kinda feel bad about leaving additional pages of people out on the interwebs when they don't really need to be there anymore, especially when we will already have "up to date" pages on current/former jmods on the new wiki.
2) When we leave, we lock all 40000+ pages. What better way to help the wiki wither away than to leave it forever frozen (or until Wikia decides to take it down) in an an unusable state?
3) When we leave, we post on the front page that this wiki is retired, where we moved to, and then disable all of the tools and other links on that page.

Just some thoughts. --Deltaslug (talk) 23:10, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

2 and 3 are not possible. This will get reverted/deleted and you will get globally blocked for that. - Jr Mime (talk) [VSTF] 23:13, September 26, 2018 (UTC)
I fail to see the benefit of 1. --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 23:14, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Jr Mime (talk) [VSTF] 23:14, September 26, 2018 (UTC)

SUPPORT - Love every word of the statement, and all comments of above editors, and i hope the better acknowledgement from Jagex inspires new editors to be born :)...Can't wait to play around with an updated system <3 Completionist cape.png Angel of Law Talk Law rune.png

Support I'm so glad for everyone who updates regularly here. Wikia has always been a pain and you deserve better. - HeartOfNOVA 23:58, September 26, 2018 (UTC)8

Support Chrislee33 (talk) 00:05, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support - A welcome migration.
JohnSixxScott (talk) 00:11, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support - This is truly incredible news! I am delighted to hear that the both the RuneScape Wiki and OldSchool RuneScape Wiki communities will soon part ways with Wikia, and especially that we shall no longer incur the transgressions heretofore endured.Completionist cape.png Audx the WikianRunecrafting master cape.png

Support - best of luck! noreplyz 01:21, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Question - What about the RuneScape Classic Wikia? Currently, many pages on the OSRS and Runescape wikis link to Will the new wikis continue to link to the that wikia, or will there be a as well? Hubcapp (talk) 02:30, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

We're not forking them at this moment, but we hope to later down the line. The links will be disabled, but not removed. --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 02:31, September 27, 2018 (UTC)
If the RSC community wants it (and barring any major technical issues), we will help move the RSC wiki over, probably within a month after the main launch. We just wanted to keep things (relatively) simple to start with, since setting up the RS3 and OSRS wikis was not particularly easy on their own.
My expectation is that during that month or so, we probably wouldn't link back to the RSC wiki on Wikia, but once the move happens, we'd link all over the place between the wikis, and give RSC a main box on, on the wiki sidebar, and of course page-to-page where relevant.
I get this isn't really ideal in the short term, but my feeling is that in the long run, this will put the RSC wiki closer to being on even footing with the other two game version wikis. It would be really nice to have all three. ʞooɔ 02:38, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support, Duh - Damn this is exciting! I've really been hoping this would be something both possible and plausible, so I'm extra happy to see that this is a thing. Well done to everyone involved in this and I'm blown away Jagex is being so incredibly supportive. Can't wait to start editing over there! Amascut symbol.png Amascut Ia Morte 02:39, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Matt 02:48, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I've heard numerous gripes about Wikia whether it was from people in the discord or the good ol' Special:Chat. I remember back in February I discussed with Kane about registering and reserving the domain but never pulled the trigger on it as it would have been a big change. One hurdle that Kane emphasized was on the subject of SEO.

Can we just pause for a moment and appreciate the consistency and how pleasing this is to the eye: <- These are com(munity) websites for RuneScape. <- These are the wiki(pedias) for RuneScape.

Anyways, to name a few, Cook, Gaz, Kane and Spine are aware I'm sure of how strongly I have supported this idea. I've already talked about the plethora of opportunities that arise when simply having root access to a server which include things like running bots locally. As mentioned in the Q&A section, being able to update the platform and add whatever extensions without having to ask for permission is such a nice thing.

Regarding the points about the redirection of traffic, it seems trivial with these reinforcing it...

  • Jagex's linking of the new wiki on their website (either google this or ask any SEO expert how powerful this is)
  • The in-game integration will take care of the people who aren't enveloped in reddit and other platforms alike.
  • Those who are on reddit will of course know about the change (I'm sure there will be a sticky PSA on it)
  • Helpers like Alt1 toolkit and discord bots like RuneCord and RuneInfo will reflect the change to the new domain.
  • And for those who are out of the loop...
    • "Dude the wiki is wrong."
      "Which wiki are you on? Nobody uses that old wikia crap anymore. Here's a link to the new one."

Essentially we're all on board here!

I firmly believe in the competence of the RS Wiki staff and contributors alike in making this a success. Thanks for reading as this has definitely been the most involved post I've ever made in a YG thread. /bren/tc 03:02, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Mousedeerman: The new wiki looks great. I would like to suggest adding colour codes to monsters and items to show if they are for members only or not. Great work people.Mousedeerman (talk) 05:33, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Question - What about the old sister wikis of RS Wiki, like [ RuneScape Players Wiki], [ RuneScape Clans Wiki], [ RuneScape Businesses Wiki], [ RuneScape Roleplay Wiki], and [ RuneScape Fan Fiction Wiki]? Will they just be left behind, or will they be allowed to migrate as well?

After all, RuneScape Roleplay Wiki still has a very active community, RuneScape Clans and RuneScape Players Wikis cover articles which provide useful information about the community of RuneScape which wouldn't fit to RuneScape Wiki itself, and trying to modernize and rejuvenate RuneScape Fan Fiction Wiki has been a multiple-year project of mine that I wouldn't want to just throw away if the other Wikis are cutting ties to Wikia, as well. AquaMage2459 (talk) 06:34, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

I'm just not sure if the communities on those sites justify the significant effort needed to move them. I recognize you've put a hell of a lot of work into the RS fanfiction wiki, but the recent changes makes me think the site just isn't very actively edited now. It would be a lot of work and I'm not sure they would get used. ʞooɔ 07:44, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Wow, I remember reading the old discussions on moving and to finally see it happen is amazing. Don't have much else to add other than saying well done to all those involved in negotiating/making the move a reality! Mining cape (t).png Rune14 (talk) Mining cape (t).png 07:07, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

FINALLY - I return from hiding to thus ejaculate my support for this, after all these years. Hey maybe now holiday event articles can be renamed version 8. User_talk:Fswe1 Fswe1 Brassica Prime symbol.png 15:26, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Support – I'm not really an editor here, but I still feel compelled to vote considering how significant this moment is. I voted no on the Fallout Wiki's fork, mostly over apprehension about splitting the wiki userbase too much, but the situation here is different. With support from Jagex, I would expect the RuneScape community to flock to the new wiki as soon as word gets out that it's live. Good luck to you all! —Atvelonis (talk) 19:20, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - Good luck and godspeed. Agent c (talk) 22:13, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Complete and Stutterless Support Finally! Thanks for all your hard work, too, wiki admins. <3----User:Protozom User Talk:Protozom 23:42, September 27, 2018 (UTC) (AKA Ellimbor)

Support - Who's going to be the Bearcat? Magic-icon.pngStelercusIlluminated Book of Balance.png 02:51, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Very cool to see this happening. Thanks to call those involved in making this happen! MahjarratInfo101  —The preceding unsigned comment was added by MahjarratInfo101 (talk) on 02:52, 28 September 2018 (UTC).

Please use ~~~~ to sign your messages on talk pages and forums. :) Farming-icon.png Salix (Talk) Prifddinas lodestone icon.png 08:09, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support Goto move away from the Zamik Wizards Bandos chathead.pngDemise36talk Bandos symbol.png 02:53, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support Good. --Bronze dagger.png: RS3 Inventory image of Bronze daggerElven CoreRSDragon dagger.png: RS3 Inventory image of Dragon dagger 03:01, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support I'll go wherever Clue Scrolls is Parrc savant (talk)

Support - Thank you. :3= Urbancowgurl777 (talk) 04:45, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support - This is such a wonderful moment for the wiki. Best of luck. Hair (talk) 04:59, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Finally! I've talked about this before, and pointed out that Jagex could do the hosting. i'm glad someone hear me -- Seren symbol.pngHeavyoak Talk Zaros symbol.png 10:16, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Where do I sign?? - (oh, here i guess 😛)
this is all my personal opinions, pls don't sue me Rhea
from intrusive full page ads, to featured videos (ZAMIK WIZARD BTW), to their clickbait sidebar content unrelated to the game, (and the massive complaints we receive for all of them everyday) wikia has been an anchor for the runescape wiki community/audience. i really think (continuing the analogy) "setting sail" will allow the wiki to grow and be much more usable!

this is no doubt a landing blow to wikia (runescape has been in the top 5 for [ activity (WAM score)] since they started keeping track of it in 2012, mostly at #1)
moving forward, i hope wikia improves their practices for the other wikis they host, and best of luck to them! 👋

i also really like the aesthetic and usability of the new site
not having to wait for wikia for code change approvals + updated mediawiki/extensions/security measures is a big plus (dark mode toggle when?)

i have complete faith in the partnership between the wiki and jagex (and i hope to see full integration; like RuneScape X Twitch back in 2015, soon!)
the only problem i see is getting those google rankings back and moving editors/users over, but i see it has already been addressed and hopefully resolved quickly.

i do hope to see atleast some support for officially supported languages (DE/FR/PT) and their corresponding wiki communities.

wD4kihE.png💬 | 📝 10:24, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Do we still get to keep our positions? - I believe I'm currently a custodian on OS Wiki. If an admin can please verify, that'd be great, but do we still get to retain our positions? Player moderator crown.pngMetallicanranaDrygore longsword.png 06:54, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

The standard (OS)RSW user groups will be transferred - autoconfirmed, rollback, custodian, admin, bureaucrat. Bot will be re-granted to relevant bot/AWB accounts upon request. By necessity, checkuser will require additional confirmations - we'll probably run requests on the new wikis after launch.

Small recharge gem.png AnselaJonla Slayer-icon.png 07:03, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Question - What do you consider under "successful non-English wikis"? Isn't that only the pt-br one? How is your stance in general on any non-English language which is currently supported by RuneScape? (Like German, France, ..) I'm currently the only active editor and Admin of the German RuneScape Wikia with a friend but we don't think it would be beneficial to fork the German RuneScape Wikia. However, I personally would like to transfer a few articles manually I put some effort in if there is an support for German on the new website. --Aggroblut (talk) 12:19, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

After we leave and everything hopefully goes smoothly, we'll look into potential other language wikis to bring along. Of course, we'd consider ones that are active and accurate. We won't support alternate languages on the wiki straight away. This is subject to if we are able to provide the space for these sites jayden 12:26, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support Just hoping for a clean transition. RuneMetrics Paul Z Talk bite me HS Contributions 14:15, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support sumone10154(talk) 14:28, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Greetings. We are behind you in the fight against Wikia. Anno 18:57, September 28, 2018 (UTC)

Onward! - Full steam ahead! Law rune.png Samberen Nature rune.png 00:01, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Zamik Wizard! - Need I say more? Good luck guys Kent Knifen (talk) 01:01, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I see that it's finally time! Let's do this. Santa hat.png Powers38 おはようヾ(´・ω・`) 03:30, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - I'm a bit worried about the contract renewal part.

1 - Do we have any plans for if/when all the support and funding ceases? I think the main reason to move away from Wikia is the independence we gain - we need to be able to function without any support from Jagex. Jagex support will help getting things established and hopefully surpassing the current wiki but we should not rely on the relationship with Jagex any more than that.
2 - The domains are returned to Jagex - What's our contingency plan in this case? How do we get any meaningful amount of people to switch to the new domain? Keep in mind that the players that use Reddit, RSOF etc. are a minority and I don't see how we would keep them in the know if we lose the domains.
3 - Jagex won't use any domain with the term wiki in it - This is incredibly unclear. Can they redirect to their reskinned wiki called something else directly from the domain? Can they use or something along those lines (as that's not part of the domain)?

Overall it's great news that we finally have a viable opportunity to move away from Wikia. However, the lack of clarity and transparency over these contracts worry me. I understand that you might not be allowed to fully disclose the contents of the contracts but that's all the more reason to worry. While I trust you guys; I also trust a greedy corporation's will to abuse vague contract clauses.

I would also encourage fellow Wikians to poke at this contract more as there are bound to be things I haven't considered; especially since there seems to be barely any discussion. The prospect of being free from Wikia is certainly exciting but we can not afford to be careless and lose everything we have worked for over the years with a simple hype train. bad_fetustalk 07:50, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

I would also like to question whether there is anything preventing Cook or Gaz from making financial or other gains from owning the Wiki. While I don't particularly distrust either of them, there is a clear conflict of interest between personal benefit and the Wiki in that case. bad_fetustalk 07:53, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
Hey Chess! Thanks for prodding the edges and ambiguities of this situation instead of just blindly accepting it -- I actually really appreciate it. I want us to be as candid as we possibly can be about the situation, short of doing something we aren't allowed to (like actually releasing the entire contract). Any ambiguity is not intentional but rather us not knowing exactly what questions people have. So this is really helpful.
Going through your points:
If funding ceases after one year, then I would likely support the site from my own finances. In our view, the funding is actually fairly insignificant compared to the value of the institutional support from Jagex. I also see the institutional support from Jagex as something whose value probably declines over time (i.e. it's most valuable when we're competing with Wikia early on). If this contract is not renewed after a year, but we've still surpassed Wikia, then the bite of losing the support from Jagex is much less.
Jagex was not willing to let us use the name without an agreement to return the domain if the contract expires. Our contingency plan in this unlikely scenario is that we would switch to and, which Jagex holds no trademark over (and we will be using as shortcut URLs anyway). Jagex is not allowed to use the domain for any purpose (including as a redirect) for six months after the contract would end, which means we would no longer be competing on that URL with them -- it would just be a dead link. I disagree with the notion that Reddit folks are a minority.
The point of that six month clause isn't so much to prevent them from making a wiki as it is to prevent them from pulling the rug out from under us and reusing the domain (which by then will have considerable SEO value) for their own purposes. They won't be able to profit in that sense off our work. If they want to host their own wiki they can, but they can't use that domain in any way for it.
Famous last words, but I think it's exceedingly unlikely that Jagex would pull the plug on this arrangement. The direct monetary value to them is considerable, and they are well aware that we are the only ones who can successfully run a wiki like this.
Regarding oversight on Gaz and I: the main mechanism here is that the community will vote on a board of directors (see that section for details) that will have full access to the wiki's finances. As managing director of the company, I'm accountable to that board, and if I break my fiduciary responsibility to the company, the board can (and should) fire me. ʞooɔ 08:44, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for the detailed response! I'm still a tad worried about the lack of transparency over the contract itself but I understand why you wouldn't be allowed to release it. I'm satisfied with the answers you gave and while I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions later; I support the proposal for now.

bad_fetustalk 09:12, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Even though the full contract isn't released, it isn't a typical big, scary one that has a lot of fine print. Everything is straight forward and there's nothing that Gaz hasn't wrote in the thread already that would cause any controversy. We've done our best to say everything we can about what's in the contract without releasing the actual thing, which Jagex is also cool with us doing and agrees that we should be super transparent. I'm glad Cook's answers were satisfactory! jayden 09:49, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
Edit - After a long discussion with various Wikians, I have to retract my Support from the proposal. There is a lot of information lacking in this thread including the fact that a lot of Admins were apparently privy to this contract for a long time. While I do not have any problems with this in and of itself; I do have a problem with important things like this not being stated in the thread. More importantly; if any of you would like to try having a discussion about any of this in the Discord channel; I am confident you will end up dealing with the same fanaticism that I did, the logs of which I'm willing to provide. Overall though; especially with most of the fanaticism originating from various admins, this gave me an impression less of people under control and more of people blindly following what certain other Wikians think best. While I understand all of this stems from a place of love for the Wiki for anyone involved; I do not think most Wikians have thought any of this through at all. Thus; I have to change my mind to an Oppose with a heavy heart. bad_fetustalk 13:06, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
Chess, I think you've either been misinformed by Ozank or misunderstood something that Jayden told you. "a lot of Admins were apparently privy to this contract for a long time" -- this is simply not true. Gaz, Jayden and I were involved in the back-and-forth on the contract, starting in June of this year and continuing until the contract was finalized on 7 September. During this, we kept the other admins updated on the general aspects of the contract negotiations and forking technical situation, but nobody was privy to the contract besides those three. After the contract was finalized, we shared a summary of the contract (similar to what's on this thread) with the rest of the admins, and gave them an opportunity to view the entire contract (minus specific financial details) if they signed an NDA and returned it to me (~5 admins have done this as of now). So your statement is just not true, and I don't know what gave you that impression.
You say you have an issue with "important things like this" not being stated in the thread. Since "this" is not a true statement, I don't really understand what you're asking. What are your actual concerns? ʞooɔ 18:25, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
Hi Cook; I'd like to start my response by saying I got overwhelmingly frustrated by the general confusion over the details of the contract and the move to the Wiki overall. I started acting irrational and would like to apologize for that.
With that said, most of my qualms still remain. While I do appreciate you are human and may forget to mention various details; it is deeply concerning to me that I have to poke around on Discord or in this thread to get answers to the simplest bits of information such as details on who knows what in regards to the contract. For instance, Jayden is not mentioned anywhere in this thread besides an offhand remark about him maintaining the server. It should not be my - or another Wikian's - job to extract information here. It is especially troubling to me as Jayden specifically stated transparency has been a goal of this project - I'm not seeing any of that here. I understand that you're under an NDA and cannot share every little detail but I fail to see any information beside enough to convince most people. I do not think you are hiding any details out of malice but me and most other Wikians here ultimately have very little to go on in terms of what is going on behind the scenes and I am worried possible problems are being swept under the rug; consciously or otherwise.
I do not think a QA format is acceptable for this topic, but here are some questions I have until there's a more comprehensive description of everything involved is available:
1) Why was the decision to inform only admins prior to this thread made? While admins are trusted users, they are not the only trusted users and they do not necessarily have a relevant skill set for a move. To the contrary, our RfA process tends to value the use of admin tools over anything else which does not correlate to moving to another Wiki at all. I also find this to be a violation of RS:AEAE given that this is not a part of an admin's duties.
2) As a continuation of the above, are you not worried about having created an echo chamber by having private discussions with no input from most of the editor base? I find this worrying specifically because it seems rather unlikely that the board will not consist of the same people. It is crucial that the board have people with differing views and it seems implausible at this stage.
3) Why is the thread closing in 1 week part of the timeline? It looks reasonable now that there's a massive hype train of support but how could you plan for this in advance? It is also worrying that 15 of the supporting comments came within 20 minutes of thread creation (and a whopping 8 in first 5 minutes) - I do not find this to be a reasonable time frame for anyone to carefully read through the details. This ties back to the echo chamber problem and looks almost intentional. People tend to bandwagon and there was a massive influx of support from people that mostly had prior knowledge.
4) What are our fallback plans for if things do not work out as planned? As unlikely as these events might be, what do we plan to do if Jagex breaks the contract in some manner? What do we plan to do if someone with backend access goes rogue? If there are any plans at all; where are they stated and how informed are people in moderating roles about them? My impression from yesterday is that either things haven't been thought through or nobody has been informed.
Overall, it looks clear to me that there is a push to rush this move. This might originate from Jagex forcing things forward or people getting overexcited and not looking things over. Regardless, a lot of details are missing in an insidious manner and I do not find this acceptable. I hope ultimately everything works out as it seems extremely unlikely this thread won't be closed relatively early but I do not appreciate the way this entire discussion was run in a political manner that thrives on fanaticism.
We should be responsible for all of this together, yet everything clearly relies on Cook and Gaz running things without error. This is not in the spirit of the Wiki and I hope it does not become a problem in the near future- bad_fetustalk 16:42, September 30, 2018 (UTC)
Hi Chess. It's hard for me to respond to this in a particularly cohesive manner, so here are some bullet points:
  • I don't think anyone considered "who knows what" with respect to the contract, to be a particularly salient bit of information. Is it of value to anyone to know that Jayden was involved in the negotiations? Do you think we're intentionally obscuring his involvement? To us it was a very unimportant piece of information in a sea of much more important topics. This has nothing to do with an NDA or confidentiality, and everything to do with prioritizing information. I'm sorry you feel that that was an important bit of information to leave out -- it still doesn't seem that way to me.
  • This process got started last September when Jagex (specifically, Mod Balance) contacted the group of admins about our relationship with Wikia, and the possibility of leaving. With that in mind, that was the initial group that was aware of the possibility of a fork. It became clear early on that some degree of secrecy was necessary, and it's for a reason you haven't mentioned: the prospect of giving Wikia a ton of advance notice for an impending fork would have crippled our operational ability to leave successfully. Based on previous Wikia forks, we felt strongly that they would have desysopped a lot of us, restricted our ability to sync files and revisions to the new site, and quite possibly hired people to start editing immediately after our departure. We (I) saw this as an unacceptable risk to the project, and made a lot of decisions about information-sharing erring on the side of avoiding the risk of Wikia finding out. That said, this was not restricted only to admins -- a number of other editors were aware of the preparations that were happening, and we'd asked them to also keep things quite for the sake of not alerting Wikia. We got feedback from outside users about the overall proposal, initial drafts of this YG thread, and the appearance and functionality of the new sites, because we valued feedback from people who hadn't been neck-deep in it, although we had to balance the positives of that with the risk of giving too much information out. This secrecy is certainly not in the transparent spirit of the wiki, and I said to Ben earlier in the thread, this was something I was pretty unhappy having to do, because it unquestionably hurts the community trust and creates artificial barriers between the admins and the rest of the wiki. But I think it was emphatically the right move, because telegraphing our entire plan to Wikia nearly a year in advance would have resulted in almost certain failure. Additionally, there were major delays in the negotiations on Jagex's side that would have been even more harmful if we'd been completely open about the fork possibility from the get-go.
  • I am extremely worried about creating an echo chamber on the board, but to be quite honest I'm not sure how we can avoid this. I'm highly in favor of having the board not just consist of wiki admins, but it seems likely that a basic voting process would result in only admins being elected. This is not inherently a bad thing as pretty much all of the admins are trustworthy, but they are not the only set of trustworthy users. I'm curious if you have any suggestions for how to avoid that. This all said, I think you may be overrating the importance of the board -- everything they do will be in the public record, and it's part of the articles of incorporation of the company (see articles of incorporation page 34, section 4 here -- let me know if the link doesn't work!) that the board is obligated to directly implement the will of the wiki community, in a much more direct way than any governing board I've ever heard of.
  • The 1 week timeline is for two reasons: one is the aforementioned concern about Wikia getting advanced notice. The other is that, as clearly seen, once this got out to the wider public (via Reddit posts that random users made), it would become a big topic for the entire RuneScape community, and once that happened, there would be an expectation from them that the full launch happen very quickly -- otherwise, there would be a loss of excitement (think RuneScape mobile), and the real launch would not have been as well-received. Quite frankly, we were virtually certain that there would be overwhelming support for this proposal, and all of the dates in the thread were contingent on that being the case. If somehow we miscalculated and there was significant opposition to the point that consensus wasn't clear, we would not have been so cavalier about closing quickly ("and assuming people are on board with this, we're going to publicly launch them once this thread closes.").
  • The first 9 supports were from people who had read the thread draft prior to it being posted. Everyone in that group carefully read the proposal, just not in that 5-minute interval.
  • "My impression from yesterday is that either things haven't been thought through or nobody has been informed." -- I think this is an incorrect impression, unless you're talking to Ozank. I think the approach you had to asking questions yesterday introduced a whole lot of confusion that wasn't actually there.
  • To answer your specific questions: if Jagex breaches the contract (which I find unlikely on its face because they would risk civil penalty and kill the prospect of any third party ever working with them again), it actually doesn't affect us a great deal -- we would keep the domain, but most likely lose other types of institutional support from Jagex. From a technical standpoint, we still control the infrastructure so nothing changes there. From a financial perspective, I think I answered that earlier in this comment chain. That said, short of not paying us, or requesting redaction of content (which we could just decline to do), Jagex has very few actual obligations or responsibilities. There's no question that in an environment where we have an adversarial relationship with Jagex, this whole approach and partnership doesn't work very well, but there's really nothing they could do that would meaningfully harm us.
  • If someone with backend access goes rogue, we have the ability to recreate the entire site from scratch from backups and configs that no one person on their own can delete. This process takes about one hour. The passwords are also hashed and salted so there's not really any transactional value in having direct access to those. If someone with backend access went rogue, it would result in some period of downtime, and we would press charges.
  • The answer to both of those questions is less "we have a really complicated plan for if this happens" than it is "the impact of this thing happening is not large".
  • If you feel we're rushing this move (to be clear, I don't -- the view of the community is overwhelmingly clear, and we're good to go), it's neither because of Jagex's timeline, nor because we're overexcited and not thinking things through. It's mostly (but not entirely) for the previously mentioned reasons related to Wikia. I don't mind you being skeptical (in fact, I like it), but describing this process as "insidious" seems unwarranted.
  • Do you have specific proposals for how to involve other people in these technical processes? Development work by committee does not work out well. ʞooɔ 18:02, September 30, 2018 (UTC)
I understand that the people that supported immediately would either have to had read the thread beforehand or blindly supported the thread. The latter has obvious problems and the former has the problem of starting a bandwagon that kills any discussion which is what I feel has happened here. This might not have been intended but I'd have expected you to be more careful about it asked them for not spamming supports right off the bat as a result; especially given the discussions I assume you all had beforehand that did not carry over to the Yew Grove.
It is likely that my lines of questioning confused things further as you said. While I'm definitely not convinced people in general knew enough of what they were talking about; I lost the plot there quite a bit myself and did not help the discussion. Again, I'd like to apologize for this.
I do not have any particularly good ideas to help the problems of an echo chamber nor involving other people in the technical processes. I believe these are issues that need to be explicitly stated and discussed by the community in order to find solutions and this has not been the case.
For everything else, I'm satisfied with your answers and reasoning. Frankly, I did not give enough consideration to Wikia's actions in the scenario they had advance knowledge and a lot of this seems far more sensible now. Thank you for taking the time to patiently answer my questions. bad_fetustalk 18:50, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - It's about time. Quest map icon.png Laser Dragon Task map icon.png 07:56, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Support If Jagex advertises enough for it, people will hopefully use it more (as some people still don't know about the wiki, I only found out about the wiki some years ago), and that might attract more contributors and make the wiki even better! The Green Butterfly (talk) 08:56, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

  1. How often will directors be elected?
  2. What are the responsibilities of the board of directors?
  3. How will the directors be made accountable for their actions?
  4. Who can be a director?
  5. Is anyone not eligible to be a director, e.g. employees?
  6. What is required of employees of Weird Gloop?
  7. How will employees be made accountable for their actions?
  8. What obligations does Weird Gloop owe to its employees?
  9. What policies will be common to the forked wikis?
  10. Is there any provision for users to be blocked globally?
  11. Will there be a provision for users (not just admins) to see the contract?

cqm 12:57, 29 Sep 2018 (UTC) (UTC)

Directors will be elected every year as outlined on Director responsibilities are listed on the same page. I'll leave director accountability to Cook or Gaz. Candidate requirements for becoming a director are listed on that page, including who cannot become a director. Contractors of Weird Gloop oversee the system administration of the sites and are required to do this for a few hours each week. Weird Gloop pays a minor sum to its employees for labour. No policies will change. Global blocks aren't implemented but can be discussed if necessary. jayden 13:05, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
To clarify, Weird Gloop (WG) has contractors rather than employees? I assume this reduces what WG needs to offer, e.g. pension, etc.? I haven't seen anything about what happens if contractors become unable to perform their duties, or otherwise don't work out. This isn't a discussion of the current contractors, but nothing stays static forever.
Has there been any discussion on the requirements for being a director? It's not something I've seen before and it's vague in places, such as how does the second election work? There's also no obvious consideration of other wikis to be represented such as RSC, PT-BR or other wikis that may or may not be forking after RS and OSRS do. Also, there's a mention of being a point of contact with Jagex, but nothing about reporting that back to the community.
I would be concerned if some policies do not change given the requires imposed by Jagex on what should not be added to the wiki. Additionally, policies such as UTP and Checkuser usage should very much be global given what they represent. Obviously, this should be discussed, but a simple no is confusing. cqm 13:32, 29 Sep 2018 (UTC) (UTC)
Sorry, this was unclear. No local policies will change. There may be policies on a global basis that are enacted such as policies on using CheckUser, which is likely to require signature of a confidentiality agreement for privacy reasons. The requirements imposed by Jagex are mostly relating to their trademark, and is probably unlikely to require a concrete policy (but we can see) - this is just things like misusing their trademark. Everything else (such as no harmful content) will likely be covered by the company-wide Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which we'll revisit sooner rather than later to make sure we've covered legal bases. jayden 13:35, September 29, 2018 (UTC)
To briefly cover director stuff, the page on meta is mostly what I drafted out of Wikimedia's process, stripping it back a bit since we aren't big enough to justify everything about their process. Other than the requirements for Companies House and similar, basically everything is subject to discussion - after launch we'll get a thread going on meta to discuss, formalise, and confirm the process.
For accountability, directors are accountable to the community - our articles of incorporation (which cook linked above) specifically include the provision that directors should seek the input of the community before voting (section 7c), and that directors are obligated to vote for and enact consensus (7d). Quest.png Gaz Lloyd 7:^]Events!99s 18:25, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I hope there will be a dark theme as well, though it is most likely not on the priority list. Fishing cape.png Kate the HuntressQuest.png 15:37, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Additional support from clanmates - After hearing about it, they were very happy about it, as the intrusive ads by Wikia annoyed them. Fishing cape.png Kate the HuntressQuest.png 02:25, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Can't wait till the move is finished! WittyPleb (talk)

Support - Divination master cape detail.png Azur Foudre the Ravensworn Master quest cape detail.png 23:50, September 29, 2018 (UTC)

Logging in for the first time in 3 and a half years to say Overwhelming Support I remember the issues with Wikia back in 2013-2015 while I was active in Wiki, CC and IRC and this is a forever coming. RSDaftVader (talk) 01:07, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Comment - Previously I have opted to retain hosting with Wikia, now Fandom, and I would like to say that should still be the case. However, in the time since the last thread on this topic we have seen feature removal with Monobook and the MediaWiki namespace, the addition of videos to content, and the over abundance of advertisements across all of this network. The dated and heavily modified installation of a long unsupported version of MediaWiki has shown bugs resulting in deference from Fandom to maintain Monobook and features that Fandom itself has created throughout the years.

The future success of this project for an enduring and up to date encyclopedia for RuneScape and Old School RuneScape are paramount in this move of content. The social features, and at times gamification with achievements, that keep encroaching on this existing platform have been detrimental to communities such as the RuneScape and Old School RuneScape. As someone who is retired from all existing projects on this platform (Fandom), I do support the establishment and effort of everyone involved to create an encyclopedia of RuneScape and Old School RuneScape that is controlled by the community and by extension Jagex rather than a third party with no relation to the scope of what the project should entail.

Simply, I support this with the option of writing that you got the title wrong. It's Leaving Fandom, (formerly Wikia). - Ryan PM 08:09, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support Farewell leftwing bullshit advertisements. "The superhero the lgbtqxptserswh community needed" nobody cares, go spread your propaganda elsewhere, can't wait to never see that shit again Shinigamidaio (talk) 11:29, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I think... Yes. :D NYX TRYX | E 17:25, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I was nervous at first, but the very well written article has won my support. I have not liked all the ads and clickbait and I do like the official Jagex approval of the new wiki. I hope I can change my account to my current screen name. And maybe I'll celebrate the move by finally getting one of those cool signatures. Until then, I supportively remain Mamabear47 (talk) 18:20, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support/Concern - I believe the admins have had difficulties of constraints on wikia, the migration looks good. However I plainly do not want the runescape classic interlink to be gone as wouldn't be good for any of the wikis. My proposal would be to consider the url for that purpose. It should only be a small fraction of the effort that was needed for runescape and osrs wikis. Potentially the migration could prevent random user vandalizing which is a good thing. --Luis12345lts (talk) 19:58, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

As stated earlier in the thread, we hope to fork you guys and pt-br sometime in the future. Don't worry! --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 20:01, September 30, 2018 (UTC)
To add more comment to what Scuzzy said in the interest of transparency, interlanguage (including pt-br) and interwiki links (including RSC) will be removed for the fork. We want to avoid linking to Wikia, as it not good for SEO and is also not really good for user retention either. If we do decide in the future that forking RSC or pt-br may be an option and it happens, we can add them back. jayden 20:17, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I'll miss the look of Wikia, but it's for the greater good. Ralph chathead.png MrMightyGamer Coins 1.png Thieving master cape detail.png 20:06, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

the greater good Star Talk ayy lmao ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 20:20, September 30, 2018 (UTC)
the greater good --dDbvitC.pngScuzzy Betahib8CAd.png 20:21, September 30, 2018 (UTC)
the greater good Dragon medium helm! Whaddaya know?Chiafriend12Better than rune!Loon is best buttlord 15:24, October 1, 2018 (UTC)
the greater good Talk to Kelsey 15:26, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

You've got my support! Looking forward to it. WiggleCat (talk) 20:11, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support Agreed, nothing else to say. --Dragon146 21:54, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - It's the start of a new era for the RuneScape wiki! As a bureaucrat for the PT-BR wiki, I hope that everything goes well with the fork, and that someday we can join you on the new platform. :) SandroHc Talk 22:22, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Finally free of all the clickbait and autoplaying videos, I really do believe this new wiki can have a bright future! On Your Six (talk) 23:28, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

Support the move (from my phone no less) - many of the toxic behaviors I have been objecting to have arisen out of FANDOM, stipends, "Top Contrbutor" status, etc. I hope the move goes smoothly and that everyone, including me, will be better able to enjoy a new community in a far better atmosphere. Gas masks off? 😁 THAT 1 CH00B 23:37, September 30, 2018 (UTC)

PS. I get the feeling that most high-level players are paying attention to what goes on here, but are extremely frustrated with editing for any number of reasons. The move will generate a lit of buzz, mostly positive. As to having to leave Jagex support (hope not), Jagex did once have their own wiki/CMS, and it sucked so hard I've never heard mention of it since. No real competition from that quarter. 😈😎😈 THAT 1 CH00B 01:51, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support I hate the ads. It will be great to not have those. Cache117 (talk) 01:07, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I agree. I haven't been around much recently but I remember Zamik.. those were dark days. Purple partyhat.png Sparky Kitty the WikianFiremaking.png 03:34, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Question - I really like it by its looks so far, but what would happen if anything goes wrong (i.e the contracts isn't prolonged for whatever reason) - would that content practically be lost or is there some kind of Plan B? --Lanchi (talk) 05:27, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support Although I've been quite inactive for the last six years or so, I think wikia has become worse over the years. As former RSC wiki bureaucrat, best of luck! --Zorak plorak - Talk Hiscores 08:01, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support - Ronan Talk 08:47, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support. Christine 15:51, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support. I don't feel like logging in every time just to kill the ads Extreme133 (talk) 17:39, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support - This will benefit a lot of current and new users and is necessary for the greater good. As an admin in the Spanish Wikia I hope for the transition to be as smooth as possible and in a not-so-distant future, for the interlanguage RSWikis to also get supported by Jagex and people in the new domain and projects. I'll stay in constant check for any news regarding that. Best Wishes to all the staff involved in the process and to Jagex for making this possible. Zebaahx (talk) 20:50, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Support - I think this is a great step forward. Visiting Wikia on any device without ad blockers or being logged in was just not enjoyable anymore. Great work so far! ~Broxzier~ (Talk) 21:10, October 1, 2018 (UTC)

Don't care Honestly, I don't even edit on this site much. I edit on a very rare occasions, I'm mostly just a reader who comes here for information. So it really doesn't bother me if the wiki moves or not. I don't approve or disapprove of it, it really doesn't matter to me. Blazethemoviefan (talk) 01:16, October 2, 2018 (UTC)

Support Just a few days ago I complained to a friend about Wikia's top banner adverts that would constantly cover up the search bar. Stuff like that made for a terrible user experience. Moving off of Wikia is the right move. Sylor Zero (talk) 00:41, 3 October 2018 (UTC)

'Support' Absolutely in support of this move - it can only improve things! Been away for the month of September and it was great to login and see these changes. Wynn Andye (talk) 01:26, 3 October 2018 (UTC)

Comment - Currently almost all wikia interlinks are broken ([[w:c:]]), not sure how many are there at the moment, but it would be nice to have a bot to fix them all. Gspbeetle (talk) 11:18, 3 October 2018 (UTC)

It will be all fixed soon. Please report any issues on the "Give Feedback" link on the top of the page. Meeeeerds msg 11:20, 3 October 2018 (UTC)

Support This has truly been a long time coming. Wikia has been a great host for a long time, however I haven't been in support of their overall direction for the last few years. I'm glad to see the Wiki and community move to a new and better home. One that it deserves. Rhys Jones (talk) 11:48, 5 October 2018 (UTC)

Closed - As you may have noticed, we've left. Thanks everyone. jayden 22:15, 14 October 2018 (UTC)

Reply from FANDOM

Hello from FANDOM. We’re very sorry to see you guys go. RuneScape Wiki has always been a model for well-run wikis and tight-knit communities. This sounds like an interesting opportunity for you. We appreciate the comments about adhering to the Terms of Use as you leave, and trust that everyone will do that. Obviously everyone remains welcome to continue using FANDOM wikis and being involved as much as you like. We hope this will be an amicable parting of ways and we wish you all the best. BertH <staff /> (help forum | blog) 20:49, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

Thanks for the reasonable response. I'm sure you'll appreciate that we've given a lot of thought to this over the many years of being with Wikia, and you'll know that we've tried to resolve the issues with you guys, even earlier in the year when we were only discussing this as a possibility and we really wanted to sort the featured videos debacle before it escalated. We're aware that there's a few that are discussing leaving too, albeit less in-depth than we've been over the last year, so I really hope that you take the criticism in this thread, and in previous threads that led up to this (e.g Forum:Featured Article Videos) on board, and improve your experience for the other wikis so that they don't feel like they have to take the same path as us. jayden 21:18, September 27, 2018 (UTC)

--SpecialOperationsTrooper (talk) 17:34, September 30, 2018 (UTC) knight of the Kinshra, Bye have a wonderful time!

Goodbye! and thanks for all the fish. Mamabear47 (talk) 18:16, September 30, 2018 (UTC)