Forum:Image standards for customisable items II
In Forum:Set standards for images of customizable items it was decided that images of the recolours of the loyalty outfits could/should be kept.
Since then, however, there have been a few major graphical updates, the most significant of which (for the purpose of this thread) was the player model changes of the Evolution of Combat. This was something not anticipated at the closing of the previous thread, but it means that all those images, like many others on the wiki, needed updating. This meant 10 images for each outfit, apart from the werewolf. Obviously this is a bit much to do.
Now, the extra images for the loyalty outfits have since been destroyed, but the clause in the policy allowing them to be uploaded is still there.
What I am proposing is a change to this section of the images policy, stating that only the default colour of the outfits should be used in images. This will cut down on the amount of work needed to maintain images of this type.
Support - as proposer01:34, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Support - Hair 01:35, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Support chupport - I was discussing with Suppa to remove that section once the Loyalty Shop and Solomon's store were merged. It ended with Suppa saying "Lol, okay" -- SpineTalk 01:50, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Lol, okay Suppa chuppa 02:09, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- I'm guessing the proposer meant both. Do the inventory images change? I know they don't for Wicked robes 13:05, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- They do for the loyalty outfits, for now. This may change when the loyalty shop is merged with solomon and the loyalty outfits become overrides. 13:09, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Support - Although I don't see why every loyalty outfit needs brand new images for each recolour. It's just player model changes, nothing about the outfit itself was altered. Id est, the pre-EoC images were fine.07:56, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- No, our images need to be up-to-date. If the player's model is changed then we need to update our images, otherwise we'd be outdated. Oil4 Talk 08:41, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- Saradomin forbid it should ever come to that! 13:05, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- Not really. The subject of the image is Outfit X, not the player. Also, there was a YG thread that decided updating just for the new model would not be necessary.
16:07, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- I agree that it's not highly important. However, having up-to-date player models will improve viewer confidence in the image being accurate. If the player model is out-of-date, you'll be less trusting of the intended subject being up-to-date. --Henneyj 18:13, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Support -13:05, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Major Support - Due to the items really becoming cosmetic overrides in a few weeks theres no point having multiple files showing different colours when the default colour suits the page fine. 13:13, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
Comment - Inventory icons are less likely to become outdated and so aren't really a problem. They're considerably easier to update, in the event that they change, as well. They're a pretty low-maintenance way to visually represent colour differences so probably worth keeping (whilst they're still relevant).
In regard to the outfits themselves, I've noticed that the articles we have lack some pretty basic information about recolouring:
- The fact that the outfit can be recoloured
- How the item may be recoloured
- The colours available
Images or no images, this information should be better. --Henneyj 18:13, August 9, 2013 (UTC)
- Whilst you make a valid point, it's not exactly relevant. It wouldn't take long to add said details to the articles in question. Temujin 10:38, August 11, 2013 (UTC)
- It really didn't take long. 11:05, August 11, 2013 (UTC)
Support - We always need to be up-to-date. --20:29, August 11, 2013 (UTC)
Since it seems people are alright with changing image standards for customisable items, I think the discussion should be shifted to reformatting the loyalty shop outfit items. The individual items that make up the outfit will probably become overrides, and it would seem to me that they should become redirects to the main outfit page, like all the other Solomon store outfits. Should we merge the individual items to the main outfit page, or leave it as it is and do nothing with the pages? -- SpineTalk 16:21, August 14, 2013 (UTC)
Comment - At the very least we should keep some of the current information as historical information. Overrides for one don't have inventory icons, which we'd otherwise lose, and iirc the outfits were also going to get a graphical makeover/improvement. IP126.96.36.199 (talk) 16:32, August 14, 2013 (UTC)
Comment - Merge all the pages onto the outfit article and format them like solomon overrides. We could keep one set of inventory icons for the infobox, underneath those ugly red fuzzy images we have of solomon overrides. Or we could put them in trivia if they're going to be updated, like IP said. They would be awkward in trivia though, but someone will bust a gasket if we delete them so... 15:27, August 15, 2013 (UTC)
Closure - The line "Images of items with very few customization options, such items that can be "loyally recoloured," thus having only four variations, may be displayed." in the 'Customisable items' section will be removed, as loyalty outfits have become overrides. Images of the loyalty outfits themselves should only be in their default state. As for the inventory icons only the default-colored inventory icon will be preserved. The other inventory icons that were obtained by recoloring will be deleted. -- SpineTalk 19:35, August 29, 2013 (UTC)