Forum:Home Page Changes
'Ello again. :)
I've been working on this for a while now, and finally finished it.
I've done some reworking on the main page, shown here, and I'd like to see at least some of it implemented into the real homepage, if not all of it. In short, what I've done to the page is:
- Merged all of the featureds into one post at the bottom
- Organized some boxes
- Added a new box, containing direct links to both of our chat services
- "Personalized" each box
- Reduced the number of boxes from 11 to 10
- Put the most useful links at the top
- Made it more aesthetically pleasing
- Made it easier to use.
Also, I've got to give credit where credit is due, so...
Walrus068 - Helped me when Zamorak had to go, and helped me fix a lot of coding bugs, and even created most of the templates for the new boxes.
TyA - Helped me get the ball rolling, and helped in general in the beginning.
So, in case you missed it, the proposed changes I've made are at:
The current version of the RuneScape homepage is at:
*** I'm open to all comments, and to all suggestions. Just no trolling, please. ***
Support - As presenter/creator/nom... thing. Adam Savage 01:20, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
Comment - In my opinion...
- Remove "It is highly recommended that IRC be used instead." from the Chat box
- Change Features to Featured
- Put Featured images at the bottom instead of the article
- Changes are being implemented as we speak. Adam Savage 01:28, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Changes have been added. Adam Savage 01:30, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- I did move a few things around as one of the changes. I moved the more important ones (such as tips) up farther. But that's not it. Adam Savage 01:43, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
Partial oppose - I support the colour scheme changes and additions of rune images to the title as I find that they improve the main page's aesthetics. However, I strongly oppose your layout change and shifting of some content into other sections. The proposed changes are ugly, especially the bottom boxes and poorly reflect on the "importance" of each section. 222 talk 05:28, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- I o love that you support the rune idea, which I love as well, and I also totally understand your opinion on the layout. Like I said, I think a new layout would be nice, but it doesn't have to be mine. Adam Savage 06:11, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
Neutral - I do like the color changes, however the only thing that really concerns me is the runes when shown in the mobile skin (wikiaphone). This is not just with the redesign, but all images. Other things to consider is the lack of the right column in the mobile skin and what should or should not be kept in it. Another item of interest is that while the right column is set to have the awful advert above it, it can also push down the content at the bottom of the page more. Although this might not be any different than how it is now. Just food for thought. One thing is for certain, I only prefer the color and rune additions to the page, nothing more. Ryan PM 07:37, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
Partial oppose - Per Brains. I like the runes and colours, but as they're already in the logo, perhaps something different must be used. But Ok. But the positions aren't that good. Move the wiki news down, it's already in the site notice. Featured stuff up and the tip back to the right. Adding the day do the date would also be fun. =)11:34, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- =) - Thanks to everyone for the comments and information. I'd prefer to keep the tips up near the top of the page, as it is useful and helpful information that newer users and/or RuneScape players could use. As for moving the Wiki news, that's something I've thought about as well. I'd like to, personally, see the RuneScape news be up near the top, as I think a lot of us (at least I do) look at the Wiki news for new updates before we do on the RuneScape homepage. And, its a convenience nonetheless. As for the coding malfunctions in mobile, that's something I really just can't explain. I'm thinking it might be interference between the background colour of the top of the boxes and the extra space created by the transparency which is causing things to load weird. As for the lack of a right column, I think that would be fixed upon implementation to the home page. I think that the advert for Chat that is placed on my image is the problem for a lot of things loading weird when it comes to placement, because I am using the same coding for spacing and loading the columns as are currently used on the home page. I'll be editing my sandbox per the ideas I've gotten, as they're indeed nice ones. Adam Savage 17:27, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Oh, I forgot to add that if you take a look between my version and the current version of the home page, you'll see that the left column is much larger than the one on the right. This will most likely be the case if this is implimented into the home page as well, because like I said, I'm using the exact same codes from the home page. Adam Savage 17:30, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
Comment - The layout looks pretty bad for IPs. It's extremely long and requires lots of scrolling down, and there's a big blank spot under the poll and next to the wiki events boxes. 17:32, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Good point. Like I said many times before, I'm open to all suggestions and comments, and that I really aren't in favour of my current layout at the moment. I'll be editing it soon (after I upload some more images) to take everyone's suggestions and some of my ideas into account. Adam Savage 19:45, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- If there wasn't empty space there, the bottom of the page would be pushed down due to the advert on the mainpage above the right column. The only time you wouldn't see this is if you have an advert blocker or using the Monobook skin. Ryan PM 19:50, August 14, 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose - It's much of a muchness really, but I see nothing wrong with our current homepage layout, albeit the tips section is a bit far down. The only things I'd have a mild interest in seeing implemented would be the rune images and colour alteration, but apart from that, I see no reason for meddling with it. Ronan Talk 12:48, August 15, 2011 (UTC)
Oppose - It looks like you've just tried to shove as much as you can into as little space as possible, also the current version is better14:54, August 15, 2011 (UTC)
Oppose - Under the circumstances of the Main Page's widths (add <div style="width:970px; overflow:visible;"> and you'll see what I mean), one of the tables is clearly broken, and I'm not a fan of the banner at the top to be honest. All this does is it takes the important things and makes them harder to find. Smuff [The cake is a lie] 16:00, August 15, 2011 (UTC)
Request for Closure - Obvious title is obvious. Adam Savage 16:07, August 15, 2011 (UTC)
Closed - Author request, even though I would have supported with a few changes.16:48, August 15, 2011 (UTC)